Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply Surges Detected

Last response: in Components
October 2, 2012 6:58:32 AM

I recently built a new computer in the last month. It has been working without problems and I have played over 50 games of Starcraft II on it without issues.

However the last game I played, the computer shutdown without warning. When I rebooted my Asus motherboard displayed this message, "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit."

I am thinking two possible things here. Either 1. My PSU (purchased Feb. 2007) is starting to fail. However, it's a Corsair, which I thought was a good quality brand and would last me a while. Or 2. My PC is drawing more power than the PSU can supply. But, most of the PSU calculators I check lead me to believe I should be well within my range.

What do you guys think the issue is? Undersupply, or a failing PSU? Any way I can tell specifically what my problem is?
Thanks in advance.

My computer specs (everything is brand new except PSU):
  • PSU: Corsair 620HX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (purchased Feb. 2007)
  • HDDs: 2x7200 RPM Seagate
  • Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK Mobo
  • RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @1600
  • GPU: ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5
  • CPU: Intel i5-3570K
  • Optical: ASUS DRW-24B1ST (DVD-RW Drive)
  • Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DG
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo with 1x120mm Fan
  • 2x140mm Fans stock Corsair Fans
    a b ) Power supply
    October 2, 2012 8:14:56 AM

You are not drawing much power. 300W maybe.

Your PSU is past the warranty period :)  Seems like they almost have timers sometimes :p 

Of course, your board may be wrong.
    Is everything dust free?
    Are the contacts all solid? It's common for power connections to get loose over time.
    How is the AC power? Do lights flicker or dim?

a b ) Power supply
    a b Ĉ ASUS
    October 2, 2012 1:08:15 PM

hey

i have the exact same motherboard and i had the exact same problem. do you happen to have a lot of things plugged into the wall at the same time? sometimes if you flip the psu rocker, the motherboard sometimes detects it as a surge
    Related resources
    a c 122 ) Power supply
    a b Ĉ ASUS
    October 2, 2012 1:51:44 PM

It's NOT POSSIBLE that your PC is drawing more power than the PSU can supply.Edit just read you bought it in 2007 so maybe it's possible but i still don't think that is the issue.
    October 4, 2012 12:57:43 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I appreciate it.
    Proximon said:

Is everything dust free?
    Are the contacts all solid? It's common for power connections to get loose over time.
    How is the AC power? Do lights flicker or dim?

It's a brand new computer except for the PSU, which I blew out with compressed air prior to installing it for this build. If it happens again I will go over all the contacs again. AC power seems good, lights (in the house if that's what you meant) don't flicker or dim. House was built in the late 1980's so the electrical shouldn't be too bad.
    TheBigTroll said:

i have the exact same motherboard and i had the exact same problem. do you happen to have a lot of things plugged into the wall at the same time? sometimes if you flip the psu rocker, the motherboard sometimes detects it as a surge

Actually, I do have a lot of things pulgged into the surger procteor, which come to think of it is probably about 10 years old. I think I will try replacing the surge protector. In addition to the computer I have the monitor, PC speakers, printer, and a florescent floor lamp. Though this never caused problems with my last desktop (Dimension 5100) that I used for the last 7 years in the same configuration.

---
    Doing some Googleing has reveal other users experienced this power surge warning. Most say they have disabled this protection in the BIOS, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable turning this safety feature off. I'm thinking ASUS put it there to protect the Mobo, so why take away the protection?
    a b ) Power supply
    October 4, 2012 6:17:24 AM

As long as it's working as intended... that's the real question. Is it detecting real issues or phantoms?
    !