Should I buy an Pre-Built Alienware X-51 or Build my own PC

HelloEllo

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'm trying to decide right now should I get an Alienware X-51 ($699 Version) or should I build my own computer. I have no experience in building computers but I have a friend that could help me but his schedule may be to busy to help me over the summer. I want to try out building my own PC but I don't want to get myself in a lot of trouble by messing up the parts or doing something wrong. So which one should I get

Merueth

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Obviously, you'll have a more powerful PC if you build it yourself; however, you will not get the form factor of the X51 with a Self-Built PC. So it pretty much depends if you want maximum FPS, or portability/takes up little space.

HelloEllo

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I guess I could build my own PC but where could I get some kind of tutorial to build it. I could try Newegg if they have any.

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Building is better. It's easier than you think and there is plenty of help available to you here and elsewhere.

Fill out the "how to ask for advice" sticky at the top of the new build section and see what people come up with for builds and weigh the pros and cons.

Azok

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Building is better in the sense that you get to pick every single piece.

Cons:
You may get errors from time to time, that a pre-built wouldn't.
It will probably cost more than a prebuilt would.

tdoughtony

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
It is always better to build your own. You can get better parts and if you go that way most come with a 3 yr warranty. The X-51 only has a 1 yr warranty.

HelloEllo

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

I've got to say the video is really helpful I looked at half of it and it has some really helpful facts I'm going to need. So I've decide I'll build a computer. Thanks for the advice!

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Great. When you are ready, fill out the sticky at the top of the new build section on how to ask for advice and we can help you pick your parts and make sure you are spending your money wisely for your needs.

imdyinhere

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
I have built a few machines myself and I can assure you its better to build your own. No crapware, you get to pick the parts that will suit your needs and the most important factor... Its not a Dell.

mineult

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Build you're own PC because you will get to choose the specific parts of you're needs and you can post if you're build if great, you can use pcpartpicker.com to organize you're parts/components.