Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire hd 6850 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2012 2:59:08 PM

so im still looking for an answer to my problem. i bought a sapphire hd 6850 and it was doa. the fan spun up full speed on boot and just sat there. i rma'd it and installed the new one and the fan spun up normal but no video out.

my specs are ta790gx mobo
2.5 gig ddr2 ram
phenom x4 9950 2.6 ghz
(old card that worked was a hd 5650) new card hd 6850
550 watt psu

can someoone please tell me why this card wont work!!!!! im so tired of getting no answer

More about : sapphire 6850 problem

April 6, 2012 3:18:02 PM

2.5 gigs of ddr2 ram??? your motherboard says it is ddr3 supported and what's the name of the psu??
m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2012 3:36:31 PM

karthikjusme said:
2.5 gigs of ddr2 ram??? your motherboard says it is ddr3 supported and what's the name of the psu??

i just checked it and it only says ddr2 compatible. the psu is a thermaltake. sorry for not having the exact model
m
l
April 6, 2012 3:37:16 PM

o and forgot to put the full mobo model. ta 790 gx 128m
m
l
April 6, 2012 3:42:56 PM

i did connect the power and checked the rails for proper power.
m
l
April 7, 2012 1:13:16 AM

try installing it on some other pc.... it may be a compatibility that i faced earlier...... if the problem proceeds your only option is to replace the card and buy a gtx 460
m
l
April 7, 2012 1:15:01 AM

try uninstalling the driver present in your pc, shutdown your computer and install the gpu and then turn on the pc
m
l
April 7, 2012 2:01:18 AM

try upgrading your BIOS....
m
l
April 7, 2012 2:04:53 AM

karthikjusme said:
try upgrading your BIOS....

did that
m
l
April 7, 2012 2:21:19 AM

disable the onboard video yet?
m
l
April 7, 2012 2:23:12 AM

AlienIsGOD said:
disable the onboard video yet?

ya i did
m
l
April 7, 2012 4:29:21 AM

I know this is a stupid question, but did you attach your monitor to the GPU's video out and not the motherboard IGP's video out? Does this GPU have two 6-pin powers connectors on it? You need to attach both if it does and another thing, that PSU might be a little under powered for that GPU because the minimum for that GPU is 500W but other devices could be pulling too much power to support the GPU.
m
l
April 7, 2012 4:48:27 AM

loanstar744 said:
I know this is a stupid question, but did you attach your monitor to the GPU's video out and not the motherboard IGP's video out? Does this GPU have two 6-pin powers connectors on it? You need to attach both if it does and another thing, that PSU might be a little under powered for that GPU because the minimum for that GPU is 500W but other devices could be pulling too much power to support the GPU.

lol yes its connected to the gpu video out. it only has 1 connection. but why would my card spin full speed if its not getting enough power? i tried not plugging in the pwer to it and it still spins full speed. why?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 7:18:32 AM

if the fan controller, which is inside GPU, isn't working (not enough power), so the fan will spin at max speed if it gets any electricity.
m
l
April 7, 2012 4:56:27 PM

Sunius said:
if the fan controller, which is inside GPU, isn't working (not enough power), so the fan will spin at max speed if it gets any electricity.

i tested the 12 volt rails and got 12 volts on both. its not a power issue
m
l
April 7, 2012 7:21:17 PM

schecterplayer said:
i tested the 12 volt rails and got 12 volts on both. its not a power issue

Is your CPU overclocked?
If you have any devices like extra disc drives plugged in you should unplug them except for one.
Is your EATX12V rail plugged into the Mobo?
If none of those help the only thing you really can do is test the card in another system with a more powerful PSU.

Also, how did you shut off the onboard video if you get no video out through the card? Plus, having your monitor plugged into the card should make the motherboard auto select the card as the default VGA device.
m
l
April 7, 2012 10:16:34 PM

loanstar744 said:
Is your CPU overclocked?
If you have any devices like extra disc drives plugged in you should unplug them except for one.
Is your EATX12V rail plugged into the Mobo?
If none of those help the only thing you really can do is test the card in another system with a more powerful PSU.

Also, how did you shut off the onboard video if you get no video out through the card? Plus, having your monitor plugged into the card should make the motherboard auto select the card as the default VGA device.

i disabled it through bios. yes everything is plugged into the mobo. i have no other system to test it in.
m
l
April 8, 2012 11:17:32 AM

schecterplayer said:
i disabled it through bios. yes everything is plugged into the mobo. i have no other system to test it in.

Alright, then try this, if you are sure the GPU is getting enough power, start the PC with the GPU as the primary display device and let it sit for a few minutes. I recently had a 6870 do this to me, I had to let Windows 7 boot up before the computer recognized the new GPU and within minutes the display kicked on and displayed the desktop at 800x600 resolution.
m
l
April 8, 2012 5:13:38 PM

loanstar744 said:
Alright, then try this, if you are sure the GPU is getting enough power, start the PC with the GPU as the primary display device and let it sit for a few minutes. I recently had a 6870 do this to me, I had to let Windows 7 boot up before the computer recognized the new GPU and within minutes the display kicked on and displayed the desktop at 800x600 resolution.

i did that. the only thing i can come up with is that my mobo just isnt compatible with the new gpu. i will be doing a whole system upgrade fairly soon anyway.
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:39:01 PM

schecterplayer said:
i did that. the only thing i can come up with is that my mobo just isnt compatible with the new gpu. i will be doing a whole system upgrade fairly soon anyway.

There should be no reason for it not to be compatible, but since you'll be doing a full upgrade make sure to get a more powerful PSU atleast a 700W or 900W if you will be using more than one GPU.
m
l
April 8, 2012 7:23:00 PM

loanstar744 said:
There should be no reason for it not to be compatible, but since you'll be doing a full upgrade make sure to get a more powerful PSU atleast a 700W or 900W if you will be using more than one GPU.

i know theres no reason for it to be. i just cant do anything else to test it. thats the only logical answer i can come to. unless some weird thing in the bios isnt letting it work. idk ive tried everything i and everyone else can think of.
m
l
April 9, 2012 8:14:58 PM

schecterplayer said:
i know theres no reason for it to be. i just cant do anything else to test it. thats the only logical answer i can come to. unless some weird thing in the bios isnt letting it work. idk ive tried everything i and everyone else can think of.

A thought came to mind, make sure there's nothing like GPU Booster enabled in the BIOS, on my ASUS Mobo it has GPU Booster and what it does is use the onboard video in harmony with my 6870 and I had to turn it off in BIOS to stop the onboard from getting too hot and so the BIOS would see my card when I first installed it, try that because the only reason that card isn't doing any video out is because the BIOS isn't letting it, it does not see the new GPU because it still sees the old one, that's the ONLY logical reason the GPU isn't displaying.

EDIT: I saw the web page for that BIOSTAR Mobo and it says it has CROSSFIREX and Hybrid Graphics, disable both in BIOS and see if that does anything for you, Hybrid Graphics is just like GPU Booster.
m
l
April 10, 2012 3:34:33 PM

loanstar744 said:
A thought came to mind, make sure there's nothing like GPU Booster enabled in the BIOS, on my ASUS Mobo it has GPU Booster and what it does is use the onboard video in harmony with my 6870 and I had to turn it off in BIOS to stop the onboard from getting too hot and so the BIOS would see my card when I first installed it, try that because the only reason that card isn't doing any video out is because the BIOS isn't letting it, it does not see the new GPU because it still sees the old one, that's the ONLY logical reason the GPU isn't displaying.

EDIT: I saw the web page for that BIOSTAR Mobo and it says it has CROSSFIREX and Hybrid Graphics, disable both in BIOS and see if that does anything for you, Hybrid Graphics is just like GPU Booster.

thanks for all your help but still no luck.
m
l
!