Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply starts then stops after manual start up

Last response: in Components
October 2, 2012 9:05:01 AM

Hi, guys. I took a power supply out of a pc that isn't being used and decided to use it as a power source for my car amp (used inside the house). The power supply is relatively new as it was bought to replace the older one that was in the pc. The power supply was working fine in the pc before I took it out. I shorted the green and black wires and connected all the yellows together and the blacks together and connected those to the amp. When I switch it on, it starts for like half a second then switches off. I tried connecting a 12v fan to it to test it, and the fan just spun briefly then switched off. What's going on? Any tips and help given will be very much appreciated...
Thanks in advance.
a b ) Power supply
October 2, 2012 9:34:51 AM

johnnyd7 said:
Hi, guys. I took a power supply out of a pc that isn't being used and decided to use it as a power source for my car amp (used inside the house). The power supply is relatively new as it was bought to replace the older one that was in the pc. The power supply was working fine in the pc before I took it out. I shorted the green and black wires and connected all the yellows together and the blacks together and connected those to the amp. When I switch it on, it starts for like half a second then switches off. I tried connecting a 12v fan to it to test it, and the fan just spun briefly then switched off. What's going on? Any tips and help given will be very much appreciated...
Thanks in advance.

in a power supply there more then one leg of the power supply the 12v line the 5v and the 3.3 line. you cant tie all the wires together or you short the power supply out. you want to use the red and black 12v lines.
m
l
October 2, 2012 9:42:45 AM

I connected only the yellows together in one bunch and the blacks together in another bunch (they are separate from each other) the other coloured cables aren't being used besides the green and black for when I need to switch the ps on. Also the yellow cables are the 12v's on this ps.
m
l
Related resources
!