Fuji A340 powers off when connecting to USB port

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 19, 2005 9:02:42 PM

Hi there

I just got a Fuji A340 and am having trouble with getting it to work
with a USB connection. I power on the camera, then connect the USB
cable. Then the camera switches over to USB computer mode, other
choices are web camera and USB printer. Fine so far. But as soon as I
connect the other end of the USB cable to my computer, the camera
powers off. The camera will then not power on until I have removed the
cable from the camera end of the USB cable, even if I remove the
computer end first. The same thing happens with every computer I've
tried this camera with.

The USB cable I have is GE branded (got it at WalGreens), it came with
4 or 5 different tips that work with different USB devices. I also
tried an older Fuji cable that came with my old camera (A120??), but it
doesn't work at all.

I got this camera at a good clearance price ($67 after a $10 rebate),
and can't exchange it, as this is one is the last my local Office Depot
had. The camera didn't come with a USB cable (I got the manager to go
down $20 due to the missing cable). I can return it of course, but it
was such a good price...

Any ideas? I suppose I can try a genuine Fuji cable, but I'm sure
they'll be terribly expensive. I'd rather not use an AIO card reader
as I want to use a USB cable for travel.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:11:53 PM

>I power on the camera, then connect the USB cable. Then the
>camera switches over to USB computer mode, other choices
>are web camera and USB printer. Fine so far. But as soon
>as I connect the other end of the USB cable to my computer,
>the camera powers off.

Sorry, this is an uneducated guess, but is that sequence what the
camera manual recommends????

It is more common for *all* connections to be made first, and THEN turn
on the camera. Maybe the Fuji is different..

By the way, assuming it is a normal USB camera cable, you don't need to
get a Fuji replacement, and that type of cable is cheap and common.
If, after checking your manual, you *are* using the right connection
sequence - I would suggest trying a different cable would be next. If
it proves to be a camera problem, just use a card-reader instead.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:20:21 PM

Nope, I've tried connecting it in every way possible, in every order,
with no luck. I'm hoping it's just the cable. If it ends up not
working, I'll return this cable and just get the smallest XD-compatible
card reader I can find.

Thanks for your suggestion though.
July 19, 2005 9:26:17 PM

Just reread the documentation, and it does say to plug in a power cord
before turning on the camera when tranferring via USB. So maybe the
power cord or cradle is required. My last Fuji would run on NiMH
batteries when doing USB transfers...oh well.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:14:45 AM

<trevor_smithson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> I just got a Fuji A340 and am having trouble with getting it to work
> with a USB connection. I power on the camera, then connect the USB
> cable. Then the camera switches over to USB computer mode, other
> choices are web camera and USB printer. Fine so far. But as soon as I
> connect the other end of the USB cable to my computer, the camera
> powers off. The camera will then not power on until I have removed the
> cable from the camera end of the USB cable, even if I remove the
> computer end first. The same thing happens with every computer I've
> tried this camera with.
>
> The USB cable I have is GE branded (got it at WalGreens), it came with
> 4 or 5 different tips that work with different USB devices. I also
> tried an older Fuji cable that came with my old camera (A120??), but it
> doesn't work at all.
>
> I got this camera at a good clearance price ($67 after a $10 rebate),
> and can't exchange it, as this is one is the last my local Office Depot
> had. The camera didn't come with a USB cable (I got the manager to go
> down $20 due to the missing cable). I can return it of course, but it
> was such a good price...
>
> Any ideas? I suppose I can try a genuine Fuji cable, but I'm sure
> they'll be terribly expensive. I'd rather not use an AIO card reader
> as I want to use a USB cable for travel.

I have the A330 version. These are the same camera except for the megapixel
size. Even the manual covers both. Anyhow, Did you try pressing the ON
button (hold for a second or so)? This is the top button to the right of the
display.
I have the strong suspicion the Fuji cable is proprietary and the camera
shuts down when the wrong cable config is detected.

At any rate, the camera makes great pictures. Test the rest of it out. If it
is good, I'd keep it and try the Fuji cable or get a card reader.

John
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:47:02 PM

Not my Fuji [ S602z and S2 Pro]

Try that port with other USB devices, somehow some non branded PC does not
pass QC test , therefore if the assembler plug the wrong pin to the wrong
connector
it zap or sometimes blow the USB device connected to it [ I know because a
friend of mine blew his optical mice like that :)  ]

=bob=

!