Sign in with
Your question

Quick question concerning fans!

Last response: in Components
October 2, 2012 11:23:55 AM

Hi all,

I intend to buy the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI motherboard. It has 1 x CPU fan header and 1 x system fan header.

Am I correct in assuming the CPU fan would plug straight into the CPU fan header?

And...

To plug in two chassis fans = I buy a 3-Pin to 3x 3-Pin Adapter = > plug this into the system fan header = > then plug my two chassis fans into this?

Sorry for the possibly stupid question. You know how it is = I don't want to wait for all my parts to arrive and realise I need to order more stuff and wait longer!

Cheers for any help as always!

More about : quick question fans

October 2, 2012 11:29:07 AM

CPU fan does plug into cpu header. Probably not such a good idea to plug two fans in the system fan header. The combined current draw may exceed the boards rating. In other words, smoke might leak out of the MB. Better idea is plug one in the board. The other in an available molex connecter from your power supply.
October 2, 2012 12:23:12 PM

Ah okay.

I've also noticed (just read some more of the manual online) that both headers on the mobo are 4-pin. Is it true that most chassis fans are 3-pin? So the motherboard cannot control the chassis fans even if you plug the fans into it?
Related resources
October 2, 2012 1:10:23 PM

Scratch my previous post. I'm going to do what t53186 suggests. I'm going to plug a 230mm intake fan to the sys header. Then connect the 140mm exhaust to the PSU via a 3-pin to molex adapter.

I hope that is the best way to do it?
a b ) Power supply
a c 105 à CPUs
a c 93 V Motherboard
October 2, 2012 1:51:59 PM

You mind than plugging the 140mm in to a molex will result in it running at full pseed and my be a bit noisy. I would plug the 140mm into the fan header and the 230mm in to fan controller.
February 28, 2013 2:23:15 PM

Let us know how you went with it Javno as Im starting my Bitfenix Prodigy build this week.

Cheers, Dec
!