Little grey flashing pixel squares while playing Skyrim

thejamiel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I recently started playing Skyrim again after a break and as soon as i loaded my game i noticed a great amount of little grey flashing pixels all over the screen and the wont go away. they are even on the map.

i haven't upgraded any hardware in my pc but i my amd drivers for my graphics card did update. Skyrim also updated on steam before opening the game.

i play Arma Bf3 Assassins creed rev. and none of these games do what skyrim does.

im beginning to think it might be the latest skyrim update?

i have the high def graphics texture pack dled and installed however this was done a long time ago and worked perfect after installing.. the grey pixels just started yesterday.

Phenom II x4 3.2 ghz
XFX Radeon 6850
8 gb ddr3 RAM
Gigabyte 970 D3 mobo
650w PSU
750g black caviar

any ideas for a fix?

Solution
Try turning anti aliasing off if it's on for skyrim. I can't recall for sure but I think I remember reading somewhere the game has issues with anti aliasing currently. Not sure if it's an issue with the latest patch for the game or a combination with the latest drivers and latest patch, but give it a try. Since your other games are fine we know the driver and card are working right.
Try right clicking the TESV.exe program and select properties. Now go to Previous versions. You may be able to make a copy of the older version, and use it instead. You do have to turn off the auto updater with Steam first.

The 1.5 patch caused some other issues for me. 3D vision got messed up.

thejamiel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
i found the previous version but when i open it is still 1.5 and still produces those squares..

the date for previous version is march 22nd. but i only updated the game yesterday.

how could it still be 1.5

this confuses me

xfx support

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Try turning anti aliasing off if it's on for skyrim. I can't recall for sure but I think I remember reading somewhere the game has issues with anti aliasing currently. Not sure if it's an issue with the latest patch for the game or a combination with the latest drivers and latest patch, but give it a try. Since your other games are fine we know the driver and card are working right.

Solution

pittcore1003

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I agree with XFX support.. I play skyrim and have the same GPU and once the update hit I started to notice artifacts "the grey pixels" I turned off V-Sync and anti alasing and all has been well since.

thejamiel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011

Yeah i read that somewhere but did not try it until now. It got rid of them thank you all !!