Amd bulldozer vs i5 2500k vs i5 3750k

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
I am deciding on which cpu, obviously. I will want to get a good cooling fan/ liquid cooler. For non-gaming use, 3d CAD, and multiprocessing, which gives more for a budget?

Solution
A k chip is not really needed, you may save a few quid on a non k chip.

In the absence of any CAD based user experiences it is difficult to say which is better for you, a FX has relatively good productivity often in between the i5 and i7, so with that the logical and economical solutions will be between the i5 and FX chip, but maybe HTT is prevelent in CAD usage which may benefit you going with a i7. I will also say that Piledriver is out soon so maybe a Bulldozer is not the right AMD option to consider.

InvalidError

Titan
The i5-3570k has the highest overall performance. It is a fair bit more expensive than AMD's nearest equivalents but if you use your PC a lot, you may recover the difference on your power bills over the next 2-5 years. (Going with i5-3570k can save you as much as $50/year on power vs AMD if running close to full-load 24/7.)

A k chip is not really needed, you may save a few quid on a non k chip.

In the absence of any CAD based user experiences it is difficult to say which is better for you, a FX has relatively good productivity often in between the i5 and i7, so with that the logical and economical solutions will be between the i5 and FX chip, but maybe HTT is prevelent in CAD usage which may benefit you going with a i7. I will also say that Piledriver is out soon so maybe a Bulldozer is not the right AMD option to consider.

Solution

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I have been using an FX-6100 with no problems in games or other multi-media and productivity apps. Also, there were benchmarks that showed the FX cpu is just as fast as the intel k in the type of apps that you are planning to use.

You might be right about that i was guessing on that part but i know for a fact i7-3930k >i7-3960x >i7 3770K>i7-2700k>i7-2600k all eat the FX-8120/50 for breakfast at a much higher cost of course :lol:

Yeah.

It's one of the few things where the Bulldozers can be competitive. The OP should likely focus on a *pro graphics* card, anyway, being that the future is in GPU compute.

Workstation cards also have other app accelerators that make CAD work-flow much more enjoyable - from screen redraws and zoom functions to editing and rendering.