Sign in with
Your question

Can't Access Internet With Lan3

Last response: in Networking
October 6, 2005 11:03:29 PM

Just learning XP in my long career.

Got called in to troubleshoot a machine, XPPro, Dell Inspiron 2100.

"Can't access the web with a LAN3 setup." Gee! No kidding!

The nic is bound to TCP/IP; MS client is present.

There seems to be a problem renewing IP address (DHCP problem?). Using every troubleshooting wizard I could find was a waste of my time. They all told me I can't access the web - gee. They all told me I had a renewable IP address problem -gee. Not one of them told me how to fix.

This guy wants out to the web and a LAN3 setup is not making it.

Ideas?

More about : access internet lan3

October 7, 2005 1:08:35 PM

Lan3 would mean either he created a new network connection or the computer has multiple NICs in it.

I'd delete LAN2 and 3, go back to 1. Or just delete all of them and create a new LAN connection, the wizard for that is easy to use. Wizards.. hate them or love them, mostly hate them.
October 7, 2005 2:57:46 PM

Here's the thing. There is NO Lan1 & Lan2. Just Lan3 by itself.
Related resources
October 10, 2005 1:21:15 PM

Create a new network connection by walking through the wizard. Delete LAN3.
October 14, 2005 4:53:19 AM

The answer to the puzzle is thus:

Problem was in the cable modem. The customer finally fessed up that he had replaced the c/m a week earlier, and also failed to tell me that he had not registered/configured it with Optimum. It was not allowing traffic. I had been under the impression it was the same box from a few months ago I had set up for him (it's out of sight in his cabinet, which I didn't look at. Took his word that all the lights were green; never glanced at it myself.) His sorry explanation was that he thought if he got an upgraded piece (Motorola instead of Toshiba) he would be "faster". And a swap was all he had to do -----Oh My!

I, in the meantime, figured nic or XP networking glitch. XP calls a network connection lan3 when there is no connectivity, and no other lans up.

Running diagnostics with the Optimum techie cleared it up rather quickly.
!