Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should i have 6 gigs or ram for gaming on windows 7 64 bit

Last response: in Windows 7
January 17, 2010 6:40:05 AM

I am a noob at system use but from what i gather on my system monitor it says the system is using 95 to 97 percent when I am gaming. I am using windows 7 64 bit os with 4 gigs of ram
a b 4 Gaming
January 17, 2010 7:15:02 AM

Most games won't use more than 2 gigs for the game anyway (part of being 32 bit compatible).

But if you have a triple channel ram motherboard and you're only using two slots you might want to add a third. It might speed up your machine by a percent or two.
Score
January 17, 2010 1:31:22 PM

im runnung games perfectly fine with 4GB of DDR2 1066 ram. no problems (games like FARCRY2, Modern Warfare 2, Crysis , Crysis warhead, Oblivion, STALKER, etc)
Score
Related resources
January 18, 2010 6:19:45 AM

Hey guys sorry, I noobin at this but I got a 790i ultra mobo with 4 gigs of ddr3 ram with windows 7 64 bit runnin. I just dont get it I hoverin around 97 percent then it starts to temperarily lock up. Thats why I was wondering if I should add another 2 gigs to try and help it out.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2010 6:32:32 AM

Sounds like you need to check what's running at startup and do a proper AV scan!
Have a proper clean up. Remove temp files, uninstall unused programs, Have a good mooch in msconfig.

May aswell do a defrag after that too.
Score
January 18, 2010 6:37:41 AM

There must be something that eats up your RAM in the background. Have you checked what programs are currently running?

Personally, I also have 4GB of RAM and it rarely goes up to 70% while I'm gaming.
Score
January 18, 2010 2:05:39 PM

K guys will do! I changed windows to basic config for best performance, and I will check to see whats running in back ground. Thxs guys
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2010 2:20:47 PM

How much RAM is on your video card? This can affect how much of your physical memory is being used.

For example, my video card has 512MB onboard memory. However, when I go to the Performance Information and Tools section to get details about my computer, it states that my Gaming Graphics is 2303 MB total available graphics memory. I have a total of 4 gigs of RAM in my pc, but what is happening is, the system memory is being shared with the graphics card memory. So, in this case, 512MB is coming from my graphics card, but 1790MB is coming from my available physical memory.

For better gaming experience, you'd want to upgrade to a graphics card with 1 GB or higher of dedicated memory.
Score
January 19, 2010 6:05:17 AM

Hey isamuelson, I got 2 gtx 260 black editions (i think the are 867 mb dedicated ram each per card). I dont know I gonna upgrade my card soon anyways hopefully that will help. I think I got a virus cause my comp is acting all messed up runnin slow and random lock ups. Any ways guys thxs for the help, i appreciate it.
Score
January 19, 2010 6:25:47 AM

The shared video memory has nothing to do with it. A dedicated video card will utilize its own memory most of the time.

2 GTX 260's IMO is fine.
Score
January 19, 2010 11:48:33 PM

I have 4GB of ram and I have a hard time breaking 3GB playing games. 6GB would be nice though just for the tripple channel, but oh-well.
Score
August 8, 2012 6:57:21 PM

My Computer Runs Slow And Ive done scans no viruses i resenly lost my Viruse Scan and so i have nothing and The only things i have downloaded is Steam and a few game with it and a seperat game downloaded and a hack for one of the games but i have had this hack for a long time and this has nothing happend before i bought this computer about a year ago its a 64 bit windows 7 8 GB Ram so idk if its justi have to many games cuz i have downloaded thing for a game and i use them all the time so and thers alot of stuff installed on my computer but idk if i need it or not cuz it was alreadyed on there and i mean theres alot on it but the downloaded stuff cam with it so i mean idk Please Help Me and Thank :D 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 7:05:16 PM

run msconfig or use CCleaner to do a full cleanup. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to check what programs are running (in the process tabs), the bigger the size of the process most likely the culprit. It also won't hurt to run malware bytes in safe mode along with a virus scanner (use Avast if you don't have one already).
Score
August 8, 2012 7:30:22 PM

MidnightDistort said:
run msconfig or use CCleaner to do a full cleanup. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to check what programs are running (in the process tabs), the bigger the size of the process most likely the culprit. It also won't hurt to run malware bytes in safe mode along with a virus scanner (use Avast if you don't have one already).

on the Msconfig wat do i click and stuff and when i bring up Task manger there is no tabs all it says is end task switch to new task wat do i do im so confused by chance? can u explain more specifice? srry for asking for more im just really confused Thank You :D 

Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 7:33:12 PM

On the startup tab uncheck anything you don't want to start up.

Edit: Actually i would uncheck them all to see if any of them are causing your lack of RAM issue.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
August 8, 2012 7:47:56 PM

Just a heads up people: Just because you have 512MB of RAM not being used doesn't mean that you can actually USE that 512MB of RAM. For example, if a program needs to store 256MB of texture data in system memory, it needs 256MB of CONTIGUOUS RAM. If it can't find a big enough block, some other data needs to be written to the HDD, which kills performance.
Score
August 8, 2012 8:08:44 PM

MidnightDistort said:
On the startup tab uncheck anything you don't want to start up.

Edit: Actually i would uncheck them all to see if any of them are causing your lack of RAM issue.

i ran it and i had the worst experiance it ran slower its running slower right now i didnt have internet i had to change it bak and everthing is is harriable its like it just got like 100000 times worst please help me
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 8:16:00 PM

You most likely have a virus or malware on your computer, do you have any antivirus software?
Score
August 8, 2012 8:22:37 PM

no i dont :( 

i recntly lost mine
Score
August 8, 2012 8:33:15 PM

Continuosly during system sart logo screen wat u mean i dont understand that im srry im a noob when it comes to this but what do you mean by that ? and upadte how do u update ? im srry for holding you here like this
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 8:37:56 PM

When your computer reboots, you'll get a splash screen logo (depending on what computer/motherboard you have) you wanna continually hit f8 to get to advanced system option, choose safe mode with networking, download & update those 2 programs (go with malwarebytes first). Update the program first then run a scan.

You can download those 2 at the same time, install malwarebytes first, update it run a scan if you find malware your most likely in the clear but while your still in safe mode install Avast, register (it's free unless you want to get the paid version) & update it (should be automatic) then run a scan. If this doesn't correct your problems look at the forum post for other options.
Score
August 8, 2012 8:40:56 PM

so how do i upadte the malware bytes do i just click update on it somewhere when i donwload it and ty for your help

:D 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 8:43:42 PM

Yep, there should be tabs with one saying update.
Score
August 8, 2012 8:47:33 PM

ok im on the safe thing so i download the malware thing and upadate scan dowload other thing update and scan with tht and everthing should be gone?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 8:51:18 PM

Not 100% certainty, but it is a possibility you have malware as you changed the startup settings which caused your pc to run worse. This is just something that may or may not exist and we're eliminating the problems one by one.
Score
August 8, 2012 8:57:38 PM

ok here i go :D 

ty very much
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 9:00:15 PM

Did it find anything? Just keep going down the list if you still have issues.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 8, 2012 9:15:04 PM

Also, when you boot Windows normally click ctrl+alt+delete to start task manager, click on the process tab, if you can stretch it so you can see all the processes. enough to where you can see the information on the processes that are running. Once you can see all that click Print Screen (PrtScn) on your keyboard go to your paint program click paste, it should have copied the screen that you just hit PrtScn with. Save it & upload it somewhere where you can view pics (like Photobucket) and copy & paste the picture url here.
Score
August 8, 2012 9:17:11 PM

Kaspersky Virus removal tool HERE.

Suggest Microsoft's Security Essentials HERE.

**Some games AND AV's can be system memory hogs. BF3 is a prime example of a game that loves both VRAM and system memory...
Score
a c 412 $ Windows 7
a c 449 4 Gaming
August 8, 2012 9:41:28 PM

this thread is 2010
Score
a c 412 $ Windows 7
a c 449 4 Gaming
August 8, 2012 9:43:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!