Strange Problem With Networking XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I have a this working WXP machine and am building a new one.
My XP is WXP Pro and is legal and activated.

My intention was to install the same WXP on the new machine, knowing
that I would have to activate it within 30 days and discontinue using
it on the first machine.

The install went fine, and now I want to network the two machines
together, in order to transfer much data from the old machine to the
new one, before the 30 days is up.

My problem is that I can't get either machine to recognize the other
or any of its files. So I am stuck.

I have File Sharing active on both. The machine names are
(conveniently) machine-1 and machine-2, and are in the same workgroup
(home). They are linked via a D-Link router.

Since I have networked before, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now
I wonder if just maybe WXP will not allow networking because the SAME
copy of WXP is installed on the two machines? That is, they have the
same product key. If so, then I will have to find another way to
transfer my data.

Can anyone advise me on this? Either that I am right about the same
product key being the problem, or anything else that I might try to
get this to work?

Thank you
16 answers Last reply
More about strange problem networking
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Try Here:
    Fixing Windows networking problems

    <one@two.net> wrote in message
    >I have a this working WXP machine and am building a new one.
    > My XP is WXP Pro and is legal and activated.
    >
    > My intention was to install the same WXP on the new machine, knowing
    > that I would have to activate it within 30 days and discontinue using
    > it on the first machine.
    >
    > The install went fine, and now I want to network the two machines
    > together, in order to transfer much data from the old machine to the
    > new one, before the 30 days is up.
    >
    > My problem is that I can't get either machine to recognize the other
    > or any of its files. So I am stuck.
    >
    > I have File Sharing active on both. The machine names are
    > (conveniently) machine-1 and machine-2, and are in the same workgroup
    > (home). They are linked via a D-Link router.
    >
    > Since I have networked before, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now
    > I wonder if just maybe WXP will not allow networking because the SAME
    > copy of WXP is installed on the two machines? That is, they have the
    > same product key. If so, then I will have to find another way to
    > transfer my data.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me on this? Either that I am right about the same
    > product key being the problem, or anything else that I might try to
    > get this to work?
    >
    > Thank you

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Go to "microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web" and repost your problem along
    with the output from "ipconfig /all" from both machines. A lot of
    knowledgeable networking people hang out there.

    <one@two.net> wrote in message
    >I have a this working WXP machine and am building a new one.
    > My XP is WXP Pro and is legal and activated.
    >
    > My intention was to install the same WXP on the new machine, knowing
    > that I would have to activate it within 30 days and discontinue using
    > it on the first machine.
    >
    > The install went fine, and now I want to network the two machines
    > together, in order to transfer much data from the old machine to the
    > new one, before the 30 days is up.
    >
    > My problem is that I can't get either machine to recognize the other
    > or any of its files. So I am stuck.
    >
    > I have File Sharing active on both. The machine names are
    > (conveniently) machine-1 and machine-2, and are in the same workgroup
    > (home). They are linked via a D-Link router.
    >
    > Since I have networked before, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now
    > I wonder if just maybe WXP will not allow networking because the SAME
    > copy of WXP is installed on the two machines? That is, they have the
    > same product key. If so, then I will have to find another way to
    > transfer my data.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me on this? Either that I am right about the same
    > product key being the problem, or anything else that I might try to
    > get this to work?
    >
    > Thank you

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Let's try that again....
    http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm

    "BP" <replytoall@dufus.net> wrote in message
    > Try Here:
    > Fixing Windows networking problems
    >
    > <one@two.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a this working WXP machine and am building a new one.
    >> My XP is WXP Pro and is legal and activated.
    >>
    >> My intention was to install the same WXP on the new machine, knowing
    >> that I would have to activate it within 30 days and discontinue using
    >> it on the first machine.
    >>
    >> The install went fine, and now I want to network the two machines
    >> together, in order to transfer much data from the old machine to the
    >> new one, before the 30 days is up.
    >>
    >> My problem is that I can't get either machine to recognize the other
    >> or any of its files. So I am stuck.
    >>
    >> I have File Sharing active on both. The machine names are
    >> (conveniently) machine-1 and machine-2, and are in the same workgroup
    >> (home). They are linked via a D-Link router.
    >>
    >> Since I have networked before, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now
    >> I wonder if just maybe WXP will not allow networking because the SAME
    >> copy of WXP is installed on the two machines? That is, they have the
    >> same product key. If so, then I will have to find another way to
    >> transfer my data.
    >>
    >> Can anyone advise me on this? Either that I am right about the same
    >> product key being the problem, or anything else that I might try to
    >> get this to work?
    >>
    >> Thank you

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Use AOL Instant Messenger to send your data. It is the only messanger
    service that will allow you to send folders, not just files. Put all your
    stuff into one folder and send it over. AIM calls folders "directories" so
    that's what you want to use instead of sending a file.
    --
    Alias

    <one@two.net> wrote in message
    |I have a this working WXP machine and am building a new one.
    | My XP is WXP Pro and is legal and activated.
    |
    | My intention was to install the same WXP on the new machine, knowing
    | that I would have to activate it within 30 days and discontinue using
    | it on the first machine.
    |
    | The install went fine, and now I want to network the two machines
    | together, in order to transfer much data from the old machine to the
    | new one, before the 30 days is up.
    |
    | My problem is that I can't get either machine to recognize the other
    | or any of its files. So I am stuck.
    |
    | I have File Sharing active on both. The machine names are
    | (conveniently) machine-1 and machine-2, and are in the same workgroup
    | (home). They are linked via a D-Link router.
    |
    | Since I have networked before, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now
    | I wonder if just maybe WXP will not allow networking because the SAME
    | copy of WXP is installed on the two machines? That is, they have the
    | same product key. If so, then I will have to find another way to
    | transfer my data.
    |
    | Can anyone advise me on this? Either that I am right about the same
    | product key being the problem, or anything else that I might try to
    | get this to work?
    |
    | Thank you

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I am assuming you have broadband. If you have dial up, this may not be the
    solution for you.
    --
    Alias

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    | Use AOL Instant Messenger to send your data. It is the only messanger
    | service that will allow you to send folders, not just files. Put all your
    | stuff into one folder and send it over. AIM calls folders "directories" so
    | that's what you want to use instead of sending a file.
    | --
    | Alias
    |
    | Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    |
    | Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    | <one@two.net> wrote in message
    ||I have a this working WXP machine and am building a new one.
    || My XP is WXP Pro and is legal and activated.
    || My intention was to install the same WXP on the new machine, knowing
    || that I would have to activate it within 30 days and discontinue using
    || it on the first machine.
    || The install went fine, and now I want to network the two machines
    || together, in order to transfer much data from the old machine to the
    || new one, before the 30 days is up.
    || My problem is that I can't get either machine to recognize the other
    || or any of its files. So I am stuck.
    || I have File Sharing active on both. The machine names are
    || (conveniently) machine-1 and machine-2, and are in the same workgroup
    || (home). They are linked via a D-Link router.
    || Since I have networked before, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now
    || I wonder if just maybe WXP will not allow networking because the SAME
    || copy of WXP is installed on the two machines? That is, they have the
    || same product key. If so, then I will have to find another way to
    || transfer my data.
    || Can anyone advise me on this? Either that I am right about the same
    || product key being the problem, or anything else that I might try to
    || get this to work?
    || Thank you

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 05:15:20 -0800, "David Gorick"
    <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >Go to "microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web" and repost your problem along
    >with the output from "ipconfig /all" from both machines. A lot of
    >knowledgeable networking people hang out there.

    Thanks

    I'll give it a shot.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:09:48 GMT, one@two.net wrote:

    >I have a this working WXP machine and am building a new one.
    >My XP is WXP Pro and is legal and activated.
    >
    >My intention was to install the same WXP on the new machine, knowing
    >that I would have to activate it within 30 days and discontinue using
    >it on the first machine.
    >
    >The install went fine, and now I want to network the two machines
    >together, in order to transfer much data from the old machine to the
    >new one, before the 30 days is up.
    >
    >My problem is that I can't get either machine to recognize the other
    >or any of its files. So I am stuck.

    Have you tried the wizard?

    >I have File Sharing active on both. The machine names are
    >(conveniently) machine-1 and machine-2, and are in the same workgroup
    >(home). They are linked via a D-Link router.
    >
    >Since I have networked before, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now
    >I wonder if just maybe WXP will not allow networking because the SAME
    >copy of WXP is installed on the two machines? That is, they have the
    >same product key. If so, then I will have to find another way to
    >transfer my data.
    >
    >Can anyone advise me on this? Either that I am right about the same
    >product key being the problem, or anything else that I might try to
    >get this to work?
    >
    >Thank you
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Good chance it's the firewall on one or both machines, assuming it has SP2.

    From each machine, run this command:

    nbtstat -A X.X.X.X

    Where x.x.x.x is the IP of the other machine. This will let you look at the
    NetBIOS name table on the destination, and will let you know, among other
    things, who is logged in, the computer name, and the workgroup name. You
    will need the last two of the three (if you have guest or simply sharing).

    If that request times out - then you have a problem. Either an IP problem
    (subnet mask different accidentally?), or a connectivity problem (can you
    even ping the machines from each other), or a firewall problem (XP,
    BlackIce, you name it). If you have SP2 make sure the firewall is configured
    to allow file and print sharing - I THINK it defaults to disallow if you
    have not run the sharing wizard...

    The serial number has nothing to do with it...

    Venger

    <one@two.net> wrote in message
    >I have a this working WXP machine and am building a new one.
    > My XP is WXP Pro and is legal and activated.
    >
    > My intention was to install the same WXP on the new machine, knowing
    > that I would have to activate it within 30 days and discontinue using
    > it on the first machine.
    >
    > The install went fine, and now I want to network the two machines
    > together, in order to transfer much data from the old machine to the
    > new one, before the 30 days is up.
    >
    > My problem is that I can't get either machine to recognize the other
    > or any of its files. So I am stuck.
    >
    > I have File Sharing active on both. The machine names are
    > (conveniently) machine-1 and machine-2, and are in the same workgroup
    > (home). They are linked via a D-Link router.
    >
    > Since I have networked before, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now
    > I wonder if just maybe WXP will not allow networking because the SAME
    > copy of WXP is installed on the two machines? That is, they have the
    > same product key. If so, then I will have to find another way to
    > transfer my data.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me on this? Either that I am right about the same
    > product key being the problem, or anything else that I might try to
    > get this to work?
    >
    > Thank you

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    That is some stoopid reply if I ever heard one.

    Cross ping to make sure you can see each PC and get the low level networking
    in working order, then work on permissions.
    Check your permissions and users are the same on both PC's. Login as
    Administrator and you'll be ok transferring files.
    Just because you have the same product doesn't mean you can't transfer files
    over. The hard part is to convince Bill what you're up to ;)

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    > Use AOL Instant Messenger to send your data. It is the only messanger
    > service that will allow you to send folders, not just files. Put all your
    > stuff into one folder and send it over. AIM calls folders "directories" so
    > that's what you want to use instead of sending a file.
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    > <one@two.net> wrote in message
    > |I have a this working WXP machine and am building a new one.
    > | My XP is WXP Pro and is legal and activated.
    > |
    > | My intention was to install the same WXP on the new machine, knowing
    > | that I would have to activate it within 30 days and discontinue using
    > | it on the first machine.
    > |
    > | The install went fine, and now I want to network the two machines
    > | together, in order to transfer much data from the old machine to the
    > | new one, before the 30 days is up.
    > |
    > | My problem is that I can't get either machine to recognize the other
    > | or any of its files. So I am stuck.
    > |
    > | I have File Sharing active on both. The machine names are
    > | (conveniently) machine-1 and machine-2, and are in the same workgroup
    > | (home). They are linked via a D-Link router.
    > |
    > | Since I have networked before, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now
    > | I wonder if just maybe WXP will not allow networking because the SAME
    > | copy of WXP is installed on the two machines? That is, they have the
    > | same product key. If so, then I will have to find another way to
    > | transfer my data.
    > |
    > | Can anyone advise me on this? Either that I am right about the same
    > | product key being the problem, or anything else that I might try to
    > | get this to work?
    > |
    > | Thank you

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:40:26 +1000, "Gary" <cc@dd.com> wrote:

    >That is some stoopid reply if I ever heard one.
    >
    >Cross ping to make sure you can see each PC and get the low level networking
    >in working order, then work on permissions.
    >Check your permissions and users are the same on both PC's. Login as
    >Administrator and you'll be ok transferring files.
    >Just because you have the same product doesn't mean you can't transfer files
    >over. The hard part is to convince Bill what you're up to ;)

    Wow! I really do not want to use AIM.
    Yes - to the other responder - I DO have broadband.

    I will try the ping approach to see how that works. I'll bet it will.

    Thanks

    >"Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >> Use AOL Instant Messenger to send your data. It is the only messanger
    >> service that will allow you to send folders, not just files. Put all your
    >> stuff into one folder and send it over. AIM calls folders "directories" so
    >> that's what you want to use instead of sending a file.
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:40:26 +1000, "Gary" <cc@dd.com> wrote:

    >That is some stoopid reply if I ever heard one.
    >
    >Cross ping to make sure you can see each PC and get the low level networking
    >in working order, then work on permissions.
    >Check your permissions and users are the same on both PC's. Login as
    >Administrator and you'll be ok transferring files.
    >Just because you have the same product doesn't mean you can't transfer files
    >over. The hard part is to convince Bill what you're up to ;)

    Hmmmm

    Ping fails in both directions! I verified the IP addresses using
    IPCONFIG. They remain the same.

    Now I wonder what is wrong?

    Thanks

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:40:26 +1000, "Gary" <cc@dd.com> wrote:

    >That is some stoopid reply if I ever heard one.
    >
    >Cross ping to make sure you can see each PC and get the low level networking
    >in working order, then work on permissions.
    >Check your permissions and users are the same on both PC's. Login as
    >Administrator and you'll be ok transferring files.
    >Just because you have the same product doesn't mean you can't transfer files
    >over. The hard part is to convince Bill what you're up to ;)

    OOPS!

    I just double checked and found that I was using wrong IP address for
    older machine, when I tried to ping it from the new machine.

    When I used the correct address, the new machine can ping the old
    machine fine, but not vice-versa. This implies the problem is local
    to the new machine (no surprise), which BTW does access the web etc
    just fine via the same router etc. Or it seems to anyway.

    I scanned the web page at http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm

    but did not see anything to help me.

    Thanks

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    <one@two.net> wrote in message
    | On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:40:26 +1000, "Gary" <cc@dd.com> wrote:
    |
    | >That is some stoopid reply if I ever heard one.
    | >
    | >Cross ping to make sure you can see each PC and get the low level
    networking
    | >in working order, then work on permissions.
    | >Check your permissions and users are the same on both PC's. Login as
    | >Administrator and you'll be ok transferring files.
    | >Just because you have the same product doesn't mean you can't transfer
    files
    | >over. The hard part is to convince Bill what you're up to ;)
    | >

    | Hmmmm
    |
    | Ping fails in both directions! I verified the IP addresses using
    | IPCONFIG. They remain the same.
    |
    | Now I wonder what is wrong?
    |
    | Thanks

    Why don't you play with it for another two hours? That's one option. Use AIM
    and you're done. That's the other option.
    --
    Alias

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    <one@two.net> wrote in message
    | On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:40:26 +1000, "Gary" <cc@dd.com> wrote:
    |
    | >That is some stoopid reply if I ever heard one.
    | >
    | >Cross ping to make sure you can see each PC and get the low level
    networking
    | >in working order, then work on permissions.
    | >Check your permissions and users are the same on both PC's. Login as
    | >Administrator and you'll be ok transferring files.
    | >Just because you have the same product doesn't mean you can't transfer
    files
    | >over. The hard part is to convince Bill what you're up to ;)
    |

    | Wow! I really do not want to use AIM.

    Why not?

    | Yes - to the other responder - I DO have broadband.

    Then your data will be on the other computer in no time flat.

    | I will try the ping approach to see how that works. I'll bet it will.
    |
    | Thanks

    I bet it won't.
    --
    Alias

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    <one@two.net> wrote in message
    | On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:40:26 +1000, "Gary" <cc@dd.com> wrote:
    |
    | >That is some stoopid reply if I ever heard one.
    | >
    | >Cross ping to make sure you can see each PC and get the low level
    networking
    | >in working order, then work on permissions.
    | >Check your permissions and users are the same on both PC's. Login as
    | >Administrator and you'll be ok transferring files.
    | >Just because you have the same product doesn't mean you can't transfer
    files
    | >over. The hard part is to convince Bill what you're up to ;)
    |

    | OOPS!
    |
    | I just double checked and found that I was using wrong IP address for
    | older machine, when I tried to ping it from the new machine.
    |
    | When I used the correct address, the new machine can ping the old
    | machine fine, but not vice-versa. This implies the problem is local
    | to the new machine (no surprise), which BTW does access the web etc
    | just fine via the same router etc. Or it seems to anyway.
    |
    | I scanned the web page at http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
    |
    | but did not see anything to help me.
    |
    | Thanks

    Maybe if you fool with it for another two hours ... or use AIM and get it
    done right now.
    --
    Alias

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    You want the page that walks you through the NETWORK> TCP/IP (for adapter)
    settings for both machines "Home Network Setup: Step by Step". If they can't
    ping both ways there is a setting off in one or both. Usually an IP
    address/Gateway/DNS/WINS setting.

    <one@two.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:40:26 +1000, "Gary" <cc@dd.com> wrote:
    >
    >>That is some stoopid reply if I ever heard one.
    >>
    >>Cross ping to make sure you can see each PC and get the low level
    >>networking
    >>in working order, then work on permissions.
    >>Check your permissions and users are the same on both PC's. Login as
    >>Administrator and you'll be ok transferring files.
    >>Just because you have the same product doesn't mean you can't transfer
    >>files
    >>over. The hard part is to convince Bill what you're up to ;)
    >

    > OOPS!
    >
    > I just double checked and found that I was using wrong IP address for
    > older machine, when I tried to ping it from the new machine.
    >
    > When I used the correct address, the new machine can ping the old
    > machine fine, but not vice-versa. This implies the problem is local
    > to the new machine (no surprise), which BTW does access the web etc
    > just fine via the same router etc. Or it seems to anyway.
    >
    > I scanned the web page at http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
    >
    > but did not see anything to help me.
    >
    > Thanks

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP