Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My First Build! (Help me Please!)

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 5, 2012 3:19:32 AM

:hello:  This is my first build and I am very nervous. I want everything to work properly and I've done a lot of research, but I still need some help!

I have a couple of questions that I need to ask.

(* = important, ** = extremely important)

**Are these parts compatible?

**Does my build have sufficient cooling to prevent overheating/high temperatures?

*Will this build be able to run games such as Diablo 3, Amnesia: Dark Descent, on high/max quality?

(If I missed any other questions you think are important, please post them here!)


I am very grateful for all the assistance here and I am taking full consideration of all feedback/suggestions that are important to make a sufficient build.


:bounce:  HERE IS THE CURRENT BUILD: [X] = I recently purchased, [ ] = Not purchased yet

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-692 MID TOWER [X]


PSU: XFX Core Edition 550W [ ]


Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA ~~CHANGED TO B75 board Asrock Pro 3


CPU: 3.3GHz Intel Core i5-2500k ~~CHANGED TO i5-3450 [ ]


RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600MHz 1.5V [X]


HD: 500GB Seagate Barracuda ST [ ]


Optical: Lite On DVD Burner [X]


Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6770 ~~CHANGED TO HD RADEON 6870 [ ]

Thanks so much and I am looking forward to EVERYONE'S responses! :sol: 

More about : build

June 5, 2012 10:33:19 AM

Why_Me said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... <----- B75 board Asrock Pro 3 is a nice one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---- that cpu

And with the money saved size up on your gpu.


Agreed...

Seeing as how the 6770 costs around $120, swapping out motherboards will give you another $50 in your budget for a GPU :) 

So for $170...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Something like this :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
June 5, 2012 11:17:26 PM

Thanks for both your responses! So is everything else good? I decided I will change 2500K for 3450.

Wouldn't I need a better PSU if I upgrade to HD Radeon 6870 ?
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 11:25:43 PM

activeuser said:
Thanks for both your responses! So is everything else good? I decided I will change 2500K for 3450.

Wouldn't I need a better PSU if I upgrade to HD Radeon 6870 ?

That XFX 550w you have up there will easily power a gtx 680. It's probably the best 550w psu on the market atm.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 11:30:24 PM

That was a good choice then.

Last question. Is my cooling system fine or will I need to buy a cooling fan?

Thanks!
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 11:33:33 PM

activeuser said:
That was a good choice then.

Last question. Is my cooling system fine or will I need to buy a cooling fan?

Thanks!

The stock intel h/s comes with pre applied thermal paste and will do just fine.
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 3:38:27 AM

Why said to go for the XFX. I'd agree, as I use a TX850V2, and wish I had gone with the XFX version, as it's cheaper. I always prefer to leave a lot of headroom in my PSU as it's the most important thing in your build really, and leaving the headroom leaves room for upgrades ;)  but again on budget it's up to what you can afford.

SeaSonic produces the Corsair TX850V2 I referred to, and is the same as the XFX 850 I referred to, so the XFX 550, and 620 are in theory made by the same people - SeaSonic from what I gather.

I'd go with the 550, as 70W won't make much of a difference. If you're wanting headway I'd go ahead and get a 700W, but again you want a quality PSU to build around. Better to get a low Watt that is quality than a high Watt that's ***. I learned the hard way.
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 3:38:34 AM

Why_Me said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply



I'm sorry if I'm bugging u, but why should I go for the 520W. I saw that the HD Radeon 6870 needs a minimum of 520W. Why should I get the minimum??

Thanks so much! You've helped tremendously.
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 3:48:23 AM

Yeah I decided I will go with the XFX. It is very good overall and for my build. Thanks
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 3:52:39 AM

I don't think you're bugging anyone lol. If you were they/we wouldn't be here. Good decision! Don't be nervous, I'm right there with you, this is my first build as well that I ordered tonight however don't feel too bad about it. Follow the instructions provided with everything, and you should be just fine =).

The problem I have is all of the case connectors, but now they're all color coded, and instructions are provided this time around, last time they weren't and I never figured it out lol :p . If all else fails, I suppose ask friensd for help, if that fails then Geek Squad or someone else?
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 3:58:46 AM

Mardys said:
I don't think you're bugging anyone lol. If you were they/we wouldn't be here. Good decision! Don't be nervous, I'm right there with you, this is my first build as well that I ordered tonight however don't feel too bad about it. Follow the instructions provided with everything, and you should be just fine =).

The problem I have is all of the case connectors, but now they're all color coded, and instructions are provided this time around, last time they weren't and I never figured it out lol :p . If all else fails, I suppose ask friensd for help, if that fails then Geek Squad or someone else?


Haha thanks a lot. I'm nervous, but I'm fairly confident being able to assemble the part. Good luck on your first build as well!
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 4:01:38 AM

activeuser said:
Haha thanks a lot. I'm nervous, but I'm fairly confident being able to assemble the part. Good luck on your first build as well!

Heh, thanks. Here's to hoping NewEgg shipping gets here Friday, though it won't really matter as I work Fri-Sun and won't be able to get my hands on it until Monday! ><
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 4:14:05 AM

I forgot to ask, but will this build be strong enough to run/play games like Diablo 3 (On max settings)?
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 4:16:09 AM

Should be yeah...I run it on max with a GTX 560
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 4:20:47 AM

Mardys said:
Should be yeah...I run it on max with a GTX 560



haha wow thats a nice graphics card :D 
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 4:21:54 AM

Heh. If you think that's nice come back in about 2 weeks >_> I'm getting an EVGA GTX 670 FTW. Meets, and can beat the performance of a GTX 680 which is $100 more.

Just ordered my new Antec 1100 case, Gigabyte Z77 mobo, Core i5 3570k, 8GB Mushkin RAM, and Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler >>
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 4:23:19 AM

Mardys said:
Heh. If you think that's nice come back in about 2 weeks >_> I'm getting an EVGA GTX 670 FTW. Meets, and can beat the performance of a GTX 680 which is $100 more.

Just ordered my new Antec 1100 case, Gigabyte Z77 mobo, Core i5 3570k, 8GB Mushkin RAM, and Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler >>


Wow. I bet your looking forward to that :) 
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 4:25:18 AM

activeuser said:
Wow. I bet your looking forward to that :) 


Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefinitely. I'll be screaming through anything for the next 3+ years.
Just like you are :p 
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 4:26:42 AM

Mardys said:
Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefinitely. I'll be screaming through anything for the next 3+ years.
Just like you are :p 



Haha :D  Btw the mobo that I'm getting for $79.99 is that good enough for the i5 3450 and the HD Radeon 6870?
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 6:01:38 AM

activeuser said:
I'm sorry if I'm bugging u, but why should I go for the 520W. I saw that the HD Radeon 6870 needs a minimum of 520W. Why should I get the minimum??

Thanks so much! You've helped tremendously.

Where did you see that?
Measured power consumption - 6870

Advertised TDP = 150W
System in IDLE = 173W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 295W
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 11:04:38 PM

I think he's referring to the NewEgg specs, they usually throw in a minimum recommendation of total Wattage for the system + GPU
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 2:29:35 AM

Hey is my RAM compatible with the Intel i5 3450 Processor?
m
0
l
!