Sign in with
Your question

3D Vision help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 6, 2012 5:13:52 PM

I have just noticed some odd behavior with the 3D vision drivers that I have no idea how to approach for getting it fixed or looking for a fix. Google seems to be difficult to use for this problem.

The problem:
If I enable 3D Vision in the Nvidia Control panel and play a game without 3D turned on I still suffer a FPS penalty. A fairly significant penalty. When I say it's enabled, but not turned on, I mean that in the control panel, I enable 3D vision, but have "hide stereoscopic 3D when game starts".

The game/benchmark is running without 3D, but I'm still losing performance.

Example:
Unigine Heaven benchmark gives me about 10-15 FPS less with the option on within the Nvidia control panel (not to be confused with it completely on during the benchmark, which has a far bigger impact).
3Dmark11 also gave me about a 300-400 score deduction as a result of this.
Crysis also seemed to have a reduction.

Questions:
Who would you contact for a solution or feedback?
Is there a way to turn this option on and off through a batch file, so I can easily turn it on and off when I load a 3D vision game?

More about : vision

a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 6, 2012 5:55:04 PM

For anyone interested, I did find a way to quickly turn it on and off through script.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
and
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable

You can apply these to a batch file to turn it on and off on the fly.
m
l
April 8, 2012 1:51:18 PM

For contacting just log on to Nvidia website or visit any Nvidia center to report your problem in person.

Reminding you of other shortcuts:-
You can also use ctrl+T to on and off 3D vision as well as pressing the Nvidia logo on the emitter can also turn your 3D mode off,anytime you like switching to non-3D mode.

May be you should wait for a week because 680 has just launced so you might be getting an update within a week of driver update which may solve your problem.

Using a 3D mode will always create a difference in FPS at all cost because the FPS which is reduced will be providing you with a 3D environment so you don't have to worry for 10-15FPS as this case of loosing FPS occurs with 3D vision.

In simple,I can say 3D vision mode will always drop this amount of FPS when the mode is on.You don't have to worry for those FPS still because you will be getting a very high FPS indeed with those loses too which will be not at all causing hinderence in your gaming.
m
l
Related resources
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 8, 2012 3:42:19 PM

aviral said:
For contacting just log on to Nvidia website or visit any Nvidia center to report your problem in person.

Reminding you of other shortcuts:-
You can also use ctrl+T to on and off 3D vision as well as pressing the Nvidia logo on the emitter can also turn your 3D mode off,anytime you like switching to non-3D mode.

May be you should wait for a week because 680 has just launced so you might be getting an update within a week of driver update which may solve your problem.

Using a 3D mode will always create a difference in FPS at all cost because the FPS which is reduced will be providing you with a 3D environment so you don't have to worry for 10-15FPS as this case of loosing FPS occurs with 3D vision.

In simple,I can say 3D vision mode will always drop this amount of FPS when the mode is on.You don't have to worry for those FPS still because you will be getting a very high FPS indeed with those loses too which will be not at all causing hinderence in your gaming.

I think you misunderstood my post. There are 2 points of enabling Nvidia 3D vision. The first point is to enable it in the control panel, so you can use the short-cuts like ctrl-T. What I'm saying is that if you enable Nvidia 3D Vision, but keep it turned off with the use of Ctrl-T, you still lose about 20% performance. Then you hit Ctrl-T and lose another 20-30% performance in addition.

As it turns out, I did find a link with another fix as I'm not the only one to have noticed this. However, I created a batch file to turn it on and off as well as Aero, so it's nice and easy.
m
l
April 8, 2012 5:00:44 PM

bystander said:
I think you misunderstood my post. There are 2 points of enabling Nvidia 3D vision. The first point is to enable it in the control panel, so you can use the short-cuts like ctrl-T. What I'm saying is that if you enable Nvidia 3D Vision, but keep it turned off with the use of Ctrl-T, you still lose about 20% performance. Then you hit Ctrl-T and lose another 20-30% performance in addition.

As it turns out, I did find a link with another fix as I'm not the only one to have noticed this. However, I created a batch file to turn it on and off as well as Aero, so it's nice and easy.

Yes I really misunderstood your because it was a little bit confusing.

But in my case whenever I switch off the 3D mode(by using ctrl+T) i game performance as well as FPS but don't lose it until I am in 3D mode.

May be something is not working fine for you therefore you are getting double lose in performance.
m
l
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 8, 2012 5:17:05 PM

aviral said:
Yes I really misunderstood your because it was a little bit confusing.

But in my case whenever I switch off the 3D mode(by using ctrl+T) i game performance as well as FPS but don't lose it until I am in 3D mode.

May be something is not working fine for you therefore you are getting double lose in performance.

I'm sorry for the clarity, as I just don't know how to describe it clearly as there are two points that have to be enabled to work. Anyways, could you do me a favor and test it for yourself with a benchmarking program. Try this: http://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/

I didn't know I was losing performance either, because I just turned it on and left it on. It wasn't until I ran the benchmark and decided to turn it off completely that I saw a big difference.

When searching for a fix, I ran across this: http://3dvision-blog.com/4673-3d-vision-toggler-for-eas...

Clearly I'm not the only one who has this problem. According to that read, it was a matter of fact that you lose performance with it enabled.
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:26:09 PM

bystander said:
I'm sorry for the clarity, as I just don't know how to describe it clearly as there are two points that have to be enabled to work. Anyways, could you do me a favor and test it for yourself with a benchmarking program. Try this: http://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/

I didn't know I was losing performance either, because I just turned it on and left it on. It wasn't until I ran the benchmark and decided to turn it off completely that I saw a big difference.

When searching for a fix, I ran across this: http://3dvision-blog.com/4673-3d-vision-toggler-for-eas...

Clearly I'm not the only one who has this problem. According to that read, it was a matter of fact that you lose performance with it enabled.

I already understood your point but I just like to say that I don't like switching my 3D mode off completely after all and what i gain a is satisfactory performance so I would not want to disable it by two points when only one point is fine for me and That point i was just trying to explain you.
m
l
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 8, 2012 6:35:18 PM

I understand not liking to turn it off and on. That was why I made the thread at first. I did find a easy way to handle it, so if you ever change your mind, you can always come back.

This is how my taskbar looks now:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The first icon is for toggling Aero, the 2nd is for 3D Vision (I have it default as on in the 3D settings, so it's immediately on when I enter a game), the 3rd is for non 3D vision, the 4th is to switch sound to speakers, and the 5th is for my headset.

I just click on what ever configuration I want, and enter the game. I'm liking it so far. Time will tell if I still like it in a few months.
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:43:45 PM

bystander said:

The first icon is for toggling Aero, the 2nd is for 3D Vision (I have it default as on in the 3D settings, so it's immediately on when I enter a game), the 3rd is for non 3D vision, the 4th is to switch sound to speakers, and the 5th is for my headset.

I just click on what ever configuration I want, and enter the game. I'm liking it so far. Time will tell if I still like it in a few months.

Thanks for your posting and I will go with your setting when I will receive my 680 by next month.
m
l
a c 81 Î Nvidia
April 8, 2012 7:05:04 PM

It's hard to read people on the internet. I can't tell if you are serious or mocking me.
m
l
April 9, 2012 1:51:17 PM

bystander said:
It's hard to read people on the internet. I can't tell if you are serious or mocking me.

Yes, I am serious and I don't like mocking at all.

I am serious because it won't be a great help to me right now with my graphics card as it is just Dx 10 supported card and therefore many settings get disabled/locked due to Dx-10 so Dx-11 graphic card will have a great impact while using 3D and to avoid those conditions I will definitely go with your setting.
m
l
!