Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New system blue screens and other stuff.

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 5, 2012 3:39:42 AM

to start off, i got my new comp all put together about the middle of last month, everything works Great, but recently ive had a string of blue screens. :(  today i got 2, one when i was afk and one about 2 minutes ago. the one i saw said something about memory management. any ideas what can be causing this?

My second problem is that the motherboard seems to show the Bios screen twice. (ill post a vid to youtube if i remember xD) again any ideas what would cause this? this is my first build and im new to all this.
Background info:

Overclocking: NO
Sli/crossfire: NO
SSD Boot drive: YES

System Specs:

Mobo: ASUS: Sabertooth z77
CPU: Intel i5 2500k (no overclock)
GPU: EVGA GTX560Ti 448
SSD: Ocz Vertex 4
RAM: PNY 16GB (4gbx4) 1600 speed
PSU: XFX 750watt 80+silver
Windows 7 Home (OEM)
June 5, 2012 4:03:07 AM

When your loading hit F8. That should take you to a menu that will allow you to change the option of auto restart on failure. That way you can at least see what the error code is.

On a side note, what was the purpose of your build? You have a very odd group of components.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 4:07:16 AM

3ed blue screen... ok ill change those settings. EDIT: F8 took me to a boot menu, i did not see a auto restart on failure.

I needed a gaming/video editing/CAD system for under $1500
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2012 4:33:49 AM

Do you have 1.5v RAM? What timings?
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 4:35:20 AM

1.65V
Timing:
9-9-9-24
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2012 4:47:21 AM

So many people do this. With a Sandy or Ivy Bridge system you need 1.5v RAM. The memory controller is on the CPU and going over specified voltage will void the CPU warranty and can actually damage the chip. 1.65v DDR3 is old first generation stuff. Going over spec will cause all kinds of blue screen and instability issues.

Reduce the RAM voltage to 1.5v. Is the RAM rated at 1.65v and DDR3 1600 cas 9? If so it's old stock. You may have to run it at DDR3 1333 speeds. It's no biggie though as the integrated memory controller is largely insensitive to RAM speed.

Technically going over DDR3 1333 voids the CPU warranty as well but as long as it's 1.5v I have not seen any problems with running at DDR3 1600 speeds.

Share
June 5, 2012 8:25:35 PM

anort3 said:
So many people do this. With a Sandy or Ivy Bridge system you need 1.5v RAM. The memory controller is on the CPU and going over specified voltage will void the CPU warranty and can actually damage the chip. 1.65v DDR3 is old first generation stuff. Going over spec will cause all kinds of blue screen and instability issues.

Reduce the RAM voltage to 1.5v. Is the RAM rated at 1.65v and DDR3 1600 cas 9? If so it's old stock. You may have to run it at DDR3 1333 speeds. It's no biggie though as the integrated memory controller is largely insensitive to RAM speed.

Technically going over DDR3 1333 voids the CPU warranty as well but as long as it's 1.5v I have not seen any problems with running at DDR3 1600 speeds.



Ok so i need to change the Voltage to 1.5, and the speed to 1333? and i should be OK? Do i need to change the timings?

For reference... this is my ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2012 8:44:00 PM

Technically you are fine within 5% of 1.5v so 1.58v is safe. I would see if the RAM is stable at the rated speed and timings at 1.58-1.6v. I have personally had problems with over 1.6v not being stable on Sandy Bridge CPUs even when the RAM was rated at 1.6-1.65 volts. Some of the CPUs just don't like the higher voltage stuff.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 8:49:44 PM

Alright, ill try the change in speed and voltage and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: i changed the speed to 1333 and voltage to 1.5, ill run prime for a few hours and see if i'm stable. DO you have any idea how to fix the multiple bios screens on start up?
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2012 9:07:58 PM

jjd712 said:
Alright, ill try the change in speed and voltage and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: i changed the speed to 1333 and voltage to 1.5, ill run prime for a few hours and see if i'm stable. DO you have any idea how to fix the multiple bios screens on start up?



That is odd. It gives you an error message in between?

It could be the memory not playing nice but if you have changed it to DDR 3 1333 speeds and 1.5v and it still does it I doubt it's RAM. You may have a bad motherboard. Is it stable running Prime 95 for 6 to 8 hours?

To truly test RAM stability you need to run memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/

Run it for at least 8 hours ( overnight ). You can play with voltages and speeds and timings. I would try 1.58v and 1600Mhz cas 9-9-9-24 2T. If it shows any errors at all in memtest it's not stable. 1.6v would be as high as I would run the memory personally.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 9:11:57 PM

http://youtu.be/kbEevHg0Kag here is my start up. any idea why the bios screen flashes so much?


What error are you referring to? the start up screens?
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2012 9:22:55 PM

jjd712 said:
http://youtu.be/kbEevHg0Kag here is my start up. any idea why the bios screen flashes so much?


What error are you referring to? the start up screens?



Video is private?
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 9:24:32 PM

anort3 said:
Video is private?



Should be public now
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2012 9:36:34 PM

All I see wrong is that your Vertex 4 makes my Vertex 2 seem slow. :p 

Lol In all honesty that might just be how that board boots. It did not look like it was an error to me.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 9:38:51 PM

Ok, Great! ill run prime overnight and see what happens, but the memtest app how do i run that? i'm so lost... what download do i use?
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2012 9:45:50 PM

Download the Precompiled Bootable .Iso

Then you have to mount it to a CD or DVD. If you have a burner program like Nero you can use that if not then ImgBurn is a great little free app that will take care of 99% of your burning needs.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Once you have the bootable .Iso burned to a disk go in BIOS and change your boot order to DVD drive first. Then you boot from the burned disk. Basically you bypass Windows this way so there is no reserved memory that can't be checked. You will not be able to use the computer while this runs thats why I recommend an overnight run.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 9:49:14 PM

Ok sounds good. ill do that tonight. Again Thanks for your help
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 9:49:26 PM

Best answer selected by jjd712.
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2012 9:54:39 PM

No problem. Glad I could help. If you need any more help with the RAM feel free to PM me if this thread gets closed.
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 10:22:40 PM

anort3 said:
No problem. Glad I could help. If you need any more help with the RAM feel free to PM me if this thread gets closed.


Well no dice... it blue screened again today when i was afk... i had the "windows has recovered from a unexpected shut down. " msg when i came back to my computer. i ran the memtest for about 12 hours and no errors came up, also there were no blue screens when i was running prime after memtest for about 4 hours.
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2012 10:38:50 PM

What speed is the RAM running at? Is XMP still enabled? If so disable it and manually set the voltage and timings.

Did you update the SSD to the newest firmware?

Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS?
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 11:17:35 PM

I was going to update the ssd firmware but the ocz site gave me a warning that i could lose all data so i held off. this may sound stupid but i cant find the xmp setting. ok set xmp to manual and set the timings and voltages to the correct values (1.5v and 9-9-9-24, 1333 speed) i updated the bios aswell
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 11:57:43 PM

3 more bsod... could this be a windows problem?

After using a program to view the dump files it seems the cause of the crashes is: 1. win32k.sys and ntoskrnl.exe
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2012 2:10:30 AM

Ok try plugging your SSD into a different SATA port. You also probably need to update the SSD to the latest firmware but try the different SATA port first.

Just to confirm you turned XMP off right?
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2012 2:15:54 AM

Also try the latest chipset drivers from the Asus website. Especially if you used the driver CD that came with the board.
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 2:30:35 AM

All drivers are up to date now.

Ill try pluging in the ssd to a diff port.

About the ssd firmware... it said on the OCZ site that it is a destructive flash and will wipe the drive, should i still update?
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 2:53:52 AM

i have 1.3, im just worried that my oem licence wont work again. if it will work again im all for that update
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2012 3:00:52 AM

OEM will work fine!

Technically it's tied to your motherboard but if the board dies and you have to replace it you can use the phone activation and make it work with a new board as well. I have done it.
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 3:05:34 AM

Ok Sounds good ill update the firmware tomorrow after my finals and post back if anything significant happens.
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2012 3:11:15 AM

Make sure you use the latest drivers. Maybe save them to a thumb drive or burn them to a disk so you have them when you reinstall. Also try a different SATA port. Make sure it's a SATA 3 port ( 6Gb/s ) of course.
m
0
l
June 7, 2012 3:14:12 AM

Yep that's what i just did.
m
0
l
June 8, 2012 12:03:40 AM

anort3 said:
Make sure you use the latest drivers. Maybe save them to a thumb drive or burn them to a disk so you have them when you reinstall. Also try a different SATA port. Make sure it's a SATA 3 port ( 6Gb/s ) of course.




Bit of a hitch... the ssd firmware update tool will not work on a drive that has windows installed... how do i update the firmware? do i need to install linux or is there a iso i can boot off of?
m
0
l
June 8, 2012 6:41:36 PM

Ok i updated the Firmware and right after reinstalling windows, i was installing the intel usb 3 driver and got a blue screen...
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 8, 2012 7:25:42 PM

It still could be your RAM. Or your motherboard or your SSD or even your power supply.

Does your BIOS have a "load failsafe defaults" selection? If so try that.

You might also just try installing Windows on a regular hard drive just to rule out the SSD. Did you make sure to unplug any mechanical hard drives when reinstalling Windows on the SSD?

Check and see if the RAM is on the motherboards QVL. The Asus website will have the list for your board. If not I would start there with any RMAs.

Based on your errors it seems drivers errors or bad RAM is usually the problem.

Personally based on the what you have told me I would guess that you shoud trade out that RAM.

I would go with this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 1:45:34 AM

anort3 said:
It still could be your RAM. Or your motherboard or your SSD or even your power supply.

Does your BIOS have a "load failsafe defaults" selection? If so try that.

You might also just try installing Windows on a regular hard drive just to rule out the SSD. Did you make sure to unplug any mechanical hard drives when reinstalling Windows on the SSD?

Check and see if the RAM is on the motherboards QVL. The Asus website will have the list for your board. If not I would start there with any RMAs.

Based on your errors it seems drivers errors or bad RAM is usually the problem.

Personally based on the what you have told me I would guess that you shoud trade out that RAM.

I would go with this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


There is a MemOK! button on the board. should i try that?

wow. i wish i knew about that QVL before i bought the ram. mine is not listed. but i don't think i have the money now to buy new ram.

I did install windows on a diffrent hdd no errors, but it was only runing for about 2 hours. Lets hope i don't have to replace the ram.

m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2012 2:06:53 AM

You should be able to return the RAM. Where did you buy it from? Newegg will let you return it just because it is causing blue screens.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 2:27:43 AM

anort3 said:
You should be able to return the RAM. Where did you buy it from? Newegg will let you return it just because it is causing blue screens.



yeah i bought it from newegg. on sunday i am going to pick up a cheap 4gig kit of ram and see if that stops the errors. i will contact newegg anyway and see if they can exchange it for a different kit or just get my money back.
m
0
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
June 9, 2012 2:31:25 AM

Newegg is generally awesome about any returns.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 2:42:41 AM

anort3 said:
Newegg is generally awesome about any returns.



Sure hope so, my 30 day window has expired though so i hope they will still accept the ram.
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 2:43:27 AM

anort3 said:
Newegg is generally awesome about any returns.



Sure hope so, my 30 day window has expired though so i hope they will still accept the ram.
m
0
l
!