Your question

USB Card

Tags:
  • USB
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
October 2, 2012 2:37:01 PM

I am building a new rig and I want to add a few more USB ports to the rear of my comp. What is the best route to go? PCI card or direct into USB Mobo header "card"?

I am only asking because I had a direct into USB Mobo header card in there with the old build but every time I plugged something into the ports the item that was plugged in would either rest a bunch of times while it was plugged in or would not operate within these ports...

Should I get USB 2.0 or 3.0?... I assume that 3.0 is backwards compatible? But will I have an issues plugging things in such as card readers, Ipods, etc?

Thanks in advance!

More about : usb card

October 2, 2012 3:21:35 PM

It's swings and roundabouts really. The onboard headers don't have as much power as an addon board whereas the addon board takes up one of your expansion slots. It'll all depend on what you plan to plug into your ports. If it's mainly flash drives then go with a motherboard header, heavier things like iPods/iPhones/iPads, mobile phones external hard drives will be better served by an addon card.

USB 3 is backward compatible but itdoesn't work until your computer boots so plug your mouse and keyboard into one of the legacy usb ports.
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2012 3:30:42 PM

I have slots available so I don't mind using one for the card.. I think that is the route I will go and I will get the 2.0 version as I think my Mobo has the ability to charge ipods and such after shutdown due to some app. (ASRock Z77 Performance LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard)

I like that front mount one also!.. May get both eventually!..

Thanks guys!
m
l