Sign in with
Your question

Can anyone offer me upgrade advice?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2012 7:05:42 PM

I was just wondering if it is even possible to upgrade my videocard at all? my computer is an acer aspire ax1700-e3751a the specs are as follows: 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Dual E7300 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 640GB SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive Supermulti, Double layer, DVD+/-RW, DVD-RAM nVidia Geforce G100, 512MB add on graphics ada
hopefully thepic gives you all the info you need about the motherboard, this is a pretty small compact machine so I realize I'm limited in options but I also imagine that I should be able to get better than what I have already, any suggestions? or additional information needed?

More about : offer upgrade advice

a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 7:10:10 PM

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2341273,00.asp Is this your machine? If not, could you take a picture of your case? I'd need to find out how small your machine is ;)  Also, what is the reason for upgrading? Games? Some other things?
m
l
April 6, 2012 7:16:38 PM

Yupp, you got it, that is my computer (+ a dvd drive faceplate that is no longer with me, haha) it would be for games yes, an hdmi port is necessary for my choice as well, and I know I may be limiting my options here, but the compact case means the computer can get fairly hot as it is, so my choice would preferably not generate much more heat then what I have now(i've had 2 overheating problems before, las time I thought it fried my motherboard, but i was lucky and it was just a stick of ram that was fried. Def a sign of a poorly manufactured computer :p 
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 7:28:05 PM

What's your budget? And do you know what kind of power supply you have?
m
l
April 6, 2012 7:36:59 PM

Does this tell you what you need to know? and if not how do I find out?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 8:09:52 PM

Unfortunately, it does not. The only way of finding out what kind of a power supply you have, is to open the case and look at it. Could you also take a picture? They come in different forms in custom computers like yours, and it could limit the choices of graphics card that would fit inside your computer. Also, you still didn't tell your budget ;) 
m
l
April 6, 2012 9:09:07 PM

sorry for the delay I was having trouble finding my cam and had to settle for a laptop pic so apologies if the quality isnt great

let's say money wasn't a problem what would be the best i could do with my specs and of course limited space??

The power supply is a dps-220ub a which is 220 watts i believe.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 9:25:17 PM

Personally, that strange shape of the power supply limits you a lot. If I were you, I'd get a new case (gaming case for good cooling), something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $54.99

Then you should get a decent power supply from a good brand (those include Antec, Corsair, XFX, OCZ, Seasonic):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $49.99 after rebates.

After that, it all depends on how much you want to spend for a graphics card and which games you're gotta play.

Your options main options:
HD6770 - $115
HD6870 - $150
GTX 560 Ti - $200

And all the rest above that budget.
m
l
April 6, 2012 9:26:21 PM

will any of them fit in the current case do you think?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 9:30:13 PM

I'm not sure. The picture quality is too poor I'm afraid - but I can tell you one thing: none of them will run on your current power supply. If you don't want to upgrade case, you'll have to take measurements of your current power supply - because it's not standard - and look for a similar one.
m
l
April 6, 2012 9:37:12 PM

ok, thanks for your help :)  if anyone has any idea of a card that would work with the current power supply and case please let me know
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 9:41:36 PM

Again, I'm sorry to say this, but I doubt ANY card would work with that power supply, it was designed to run without a graphics card. Risking to put in a graphics card with that power supply would be pushing it, and it might fry your whole PC.
m
l
April 6, 2012 9:59:07 PM

wow....that bad eh? do you think it's possible to upgrade the power supply within the current case? or is that necessary too?
m
l
!