Sign in with
Your question

CPU Coolers help needed

Last response: in CPUs
October 2, 2012 3:38:58 PM

Hello all!
I need to upgrade 2 CPU stock coolers:
1: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.21GHz
2. Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 BX80562Q6600.

My problem with 1 is that I can't figure out if its socket 939 or AM2. I recently cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner, after I replaced my video card and hdd with a SSD. I don't know if i somehow damaged it with the vacuum cleaner or it's just audible after 2 other loud parts were replaced. either way it's head-ache inducing now.

2- also a bit loud, but I will be overclocking it and it's a good time to replace it with something better- quiter and maybe cooler.

I will be shopping from newegg or maybe tigerdirect- something like those, trustworthy/checked out, etc.

My budget is 20-30 bucks per I guess tho I would be willing to spend more for the 2nd (q6600) since it will be OCed. 1st one the only real issue is noise level, i don't care about cooling- stock specs would be fine. really unless it's something excessive, the price should not be an issue.

Can anyone with experience on either CPUs be able to give me any specific advice? I've been scouring newegg / Toms forums and I cannot seem to pick, especially considering i'm not sure what the socket is on the AMD.

Thanks! :) 

More about : cpu coolers needed

October 2, 2012 3:53:31 PM

Here's the cooler I've been using for a few years and it seems to be pretty common and should work for ya.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... That's the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. I understand there's a newer one called the Hyper 212 Evo but that's gonna run you another 15 bucks because the one I linked is currently $19.99 after rebate.

Also if you run CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) it should tell you whether you've got a socket 939 or AM2
m
l
October 2, 2012 4:12:10 PM

awesome! Dled and installed- apparently it's a socket AM2 (940). so the fan you linked should actually be compatible with both CPUs!!! simplifies my life a lot :) 

Thanks a lot for the quick response!

last question- what would you say about it as far as "quitness" and ability to handle OC-ing go (relating more to the intel)? I'm reading the reviews on newegg but another opinion can't hurt! since I will OC it i'd imagine it might raise the temps quite a bit...

i checked out the 212 evo- yeah it doesnt seem to be worth the money-
Noise Level 13 - 32 dBA 9 - 36dBA
Air Flow 21.2 - 76.8 CFM 24.9 - 82.9 CFM +/- 10%

they seem pretty much identical for all practical purposes and applications :) .
m
l
Related resources
a c 188 à CPUs
October 2, 2012 4:42:07 PM

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 +/Evo are both great cooler for there price. With them if you need a quieter fan you can simply put a quiet 120mm fan in to lower the noise.
m
l
October 2, 2012 4:43:11 PM

Umm I'd say it's pretty quiet. I've never really had any problems with it being loud because my GPU does that for the whole system :/  but even if you do find the stock fan to be loud you can always swap it out with a new one.
m
l
October 3, 2012 2:10:31 PM

thanks guys! I mean i guess as long as they are considered "quiet" they will do the job. I don't really see the point in buying a heatsink and a fan only to replace the fan- i have no issues with my heatsinks (at least on my amd), so i guess i just have to assume that when they say quiet, they really mean it, bite the bullet and give it a shot. i guess the whole thing comes from the concept of "quiet" and how different people define it. the db rating given is not really helpful tbh, hence my asking for subjective impressions. for me- when i just manuall press on the fan for a moment or so to stop it- the whole machine goes absolutely quiet- so basically i need something that's as silent as possible. either way- the recommended cooler-masters seem more than adequate :) . i am also assuming that when i OC my Intel q6600, they will handle the increased temps without upp-ing the noise too much
if something else jumps to mind, by all means please do share :)  any and all info is greatly appreciated!
m
l
!