AMD Phenom II X5 1045t Defective?

gremlin85

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
First some background:

I have two PC's:

PC #1 (the problem PC): Factory refurbished Asus Essentio CG1330-07 with all the original hardware:

Phenom II X6 1045t processor,
400W PSU,
Radeon EAH5450 graphic card
8 GB memory
1TB HDD
M4A78LT-M motherboard

PC #2 (home-built)

M4A78LT-M motherboard
Phenom II X4 955 processor
300W PSU
8GB memory
80GB HDD
Using motherboard's built-in VGA port; no additional graphics card.

Shortly after I bought #1, I started getting intermittent warnings from Windows Memory Diagnostic about a memory problem. I also had intermittent problems with Internet Explorer incessantly crashing. After rebooting and running the Windows Memory Diagnostic, it said that a hardware problem was detected. I got a copy of memtest86 version 4.0 on bootable cd, which also detected bazillions of memory errors (scrolling red screen). As a way of verifying that my memory was actually bad, I took out the sticks and tested them in PC # 2 (also with memtest86 v 4.0), and the sticks tested good! I also tried testing the sticks from the second PC (which tested good there) in computer 1. They tested bad in # 1! So it seemed that all memory was testing bad in #1. If I move my X6 1045t processor from pc #1 to pc #2, then all memory tests bad in pc #2. My question is: Is my Phenom II X6 1045t defective? The reason I ask is: I got the newer version of memtest86 (4.2) and used it to test the memory in the pc with the x6 1045t processor, and it tests good! I've heard there may have been some bugs in version 4.0 of memtest86, but that still does not explain the Internet Explorer crashes and Windows Memory Diagnostics warnings in my PC with the X6 1045t (neither of these anomalies have yet occurred in the pc with the Phenom II X4 955). I am trying to ascertain whether my Phenom II X6 1045t is defective. Any ideas or suggestions?

gremlin85

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Thanks for all the feedback. This model of motherboard gives me no way to raise or lower voltages on the RAM nor to change any clock speeds. Is it possible that the motherboard would default to incorrect RAM voltages when the X6 processor is in and then default correctly when I switch to the X4? In other words: I can put the X4 in _either_ of the two PC's and get a good memory test with v4.0 of memtest86, but I will get errors on _either_ PC with the X6 in. It also seems strange that with version 4.2 of memtest86 I get no errors with either processor (x4 nor X6). Thanks.