Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming Build, First One!

Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2012 9:01:56 AM

hey guys I'm going to get a new gaming pc in the next ~2 weeks, ). I'll be as I said gaming, developing (school stuff, game design, programming, visual studio, etc!) and plan to put games on their highest settings, (bf, skyrim, cod) and I've compiled a list of parts and prices. I would LOVE some advice and/or tips!
NOTE: currently in Australia (you don't really have to worry about that though), I would love some advice on parts/comparability issues

BUILD:
cpu = i5-3550 LGA1155 IVY Bridge

mobo = AsRock Z77-Extreme4-M Intel Z77

RAM = G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D

video card = Gigabyte 2GB GTX670 PCI-E VGA Card

case = Thermaltake V9 case without PSU

psu = Antec HCG-520 High Current Gamer PSU

HDD = WD 3.5" Blue 1TB WD10EALX

DVD = Samsung SATA 22x Black

OS =Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

so any advice? thanks guys!

More about : gaming build

June 5, 2012 10:03:53 AM

Most of that seems good, graphics card will do all that fine + more, however I'm not seeing an SSD, so if you are planning to install an OS on an HDD I'd probably recommend getting a caviar black over the blue, black has 7200 rpm and 64MB cache compared to the blues 5400 rpm and 16MB cache, which should help you a fair amount with load times and copy pasting files and so forth.

That's my input, not familiar on your mobo, so I'll leave that to someone else who may no more :) 
m
l

Best solution

June 5, 2012 10:05:52 AM

First i'd advise upgrading to a 3570k as it allows oc'ing even if you don't plan to.
Second, maybe add an ssd, the sandisk extreme have become dirt cheap and perform as well as the top hitters.
This is an english website but will give you an idea of what to look for.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb-sandisk-extreme-25...
Otherwise it looks fine.
Related resources
June 5, 2012 11:10:31 AM

EddySpeddy said:
Most of that seems good, graphics card will do all that fine + more, however I'm not seeing an SSD, so if you are planning to install an OS on an HDD I'd probably recommend getting a caviar black over the blue, black has 7200 rpm and 64MB cache compared to the blues 5400 rpm and 16MB cache, which should help you a fair amount with load times and copy pasting files and so forth.

That's my input, not familiar on your mobo, so I'll leave that to someone else who may no more :) 

Thanks I forgot to mention it's the WD10EALX model, so it's got a 32MB cache and a 7,200 rpm
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2012 11:45:13 AM

i7 will help you with programming, game design, or anything of that sorts. It will also be beneficial if you have 16 Gb of RAM.

It would be ideal if you can get a 120 Gb SSD for boot drive and important programs.

If however, you want to stick with your original choices, there is no point in getting the z77 motherboard if you are not overclocking (CPU is not overclockable). May as well get an h77 MoBo. It will have similar features but will cost less.
m
l
June 5, 2012 11:52:43 AM

l0v3rboi said:
i7 will help you with programming, game design, or anything of that sorts. It will also be beneficial if you have 16 Gb of RAM.

It would be ideal if you can get a 120 Gb SSD for boot drive and important programs.

If however, you want to stick with your original choices, there is no point in getting the z77 motherboard if you are not overclocking (CPU is not overclockable). May as well get an h77 MoBo. It will have similar features but will cost less.

I was looking at all the h77 boards (which are at least $30-40 cheaper) and I couldn't find one that supported sli (which I intend to do later on with my gtx 670) and only one pcie 3 slot (just curious if there's only 1 pcie 3 and one pcie 2 can I put a card in each slot and sli?)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 5, 2012 11:59:27 AM

ASUS P8H77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I have the z77 version of this MoBo. You can SLI with this one.
m
l
June 6, 2012 6:46:45 AM

Prepare for the future then man, the gtx 670 generally draws between 200-300 watts on load, depending how high obviously.

That's just one, so if we chuck another in, plus the power consumption from other parts, you'll probs need a 600-700W PSU.
m
l
June 13, 2012 4:43:38 AM

Best answer selected by blindman457.
m
l
!