Sign in with
Your question

CPU power issues

Last response: in Components
October 2, 2012 6:52:45 PM

Its been 3 months since I got my new pc and till this very day I have problems with my mobo and psu. After building my new pc with a Cooler Master GX450 watt PSU I realized that it wasn't so good and that I would be needing more power incase of adding more components so I decided to buy a better Corsair GS700, it came out to be faulty so I got it exchanged the new one worked perfect but then my mobo stopped working after a week. I gave it to the company they exchanged it with a brand new one, and now after a month I noticed that when I hit the power button my cpu turns on for a few secs around 6-7 secs(Everything turns on, all LED fans are on, checked my psu fans,case fans, cpu fan all working) and then it turns off and turns on again for another 6-7secs this repeats upto 3-4 times and finally my pc decides to boot up. This doesn't happen every time I switch it on but it does get me worried, I used another psu that was in spare and the same issues were with it, I tried using different combinations with my RAM chips with no luck. So finally it comes down to my mobo, that's what I think, any suggestions?

My cpu specs
Mobo:Asus P8B75-M
Processor-Intel core i5 2500
PSU-Corsair GS700
GPU-ATI Radeon HD 7770
HD-Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
RAM-Corsair Vengeance 4X2
Case- Cooler Master Enforcer

More about : cpu power issues

a b à CPUs
October 2, 2012 7:22:06 PM

Pull all your components off the mobo, except the CPU/fan and 1 stick RAM. Try to boot. If it boots, run memtest on the stick. Then move the RAM to the next slot and repeat. After all slots are tried with stick one, move to stick 2 and repeat the RAM tests. After ALL RAM sticks in all slots are verified, start adding components one at a time and boot.

Yes, it will take a long time, but you have to be very thorough and systematic to find exactly what is causing the problem. Don't skip, or think "it's fine cause (insert excuse here)".
October 2, 2012 7:26:57 PM

Is this machine overclocked, it sounds like a heat or stability issue....I've got an i5 running on 450 watts, it's not likely a power problem. If it's overclocked, I'm looking that way.
Related resources
October 2, 2012 9:47:23 PM

nope not overclocked at all, everything is running on stock my B75 chipset barely supports overclocking and my cpu is the 2500 version and not 2500K so I cant overclock it either way. As for the heating part my core readings at min temp are at 28C and max 35C at minimum load, at maximum load my temps go till 45-50 and not more than that(I am using an after market Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cooler with dual fans).
October 2, 2012 9:55:08 PM

scottiemedic said:
Pull all your components off the mobo, except the CPU/fan and 1 stick RAM. Try to boot. If it boots, run memtest on the stick. Then move the RAM to the next slot and repeat. After all slots are tried with stick one, move to stick 2 and repeat the RAM tests. After ALL RAM sticks in all slots are verified, start adding components one at a time and boot.

Yes, it will take a long time, but you have to be very thorough and systematic to find exactly what is causing the problem. Don't skip, or think "it's fine cause (insert excuse here)".

Now this is going to get very tedious guess I have to do it, no running from it. And one more thing I forgot to add once my comp boots up there are no issues it runs perfectly smooth till hours without any problems, so I dont think it could be the PSU, an if it is the mobo ill end up replacing it for the 2nd time in 3 months of purchase!
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 2:02:49 AM

There have been a few BIOS updates for your motherboard that are aimed at "Improve system stability." I would update the BIOS to the latest before going on a long troubleshooting journey.
October 3, 2012 6:08:18 AM

abekl said:
There have been a few BIOS updates for your motherboard that are aimed at "Improve system stability." I would update the BIOS to the latest before going on a long troubleshooting journey.

After the problem occurred the first thing I did was update my bios, bios utilities and all drivers but still no luck.
a c 196 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:34:36 AM

sounds like a bad stick of ram or the cpu/mb having issue setting the ram speed up. the reboots sound like overclock ram speed issue. i would see if you have dram xmp profile turned on and see with cpu-z the speed the ram running at. hopfully it a bad stick of ram and not the memory controller inside the cpu.
October 6, 2012 9:20:59 AM

Ok so I disconnected all my components except one stick of RAM and the CPU fan tried to boot it got a beep sound for the first time in the next few tries sometimes I got a beep sound sometimes I didn't irrespective of which RAM I placed in which slot, I tested my corsair Psu by using the pin technique and attached 1 fan to it and it worked without any issues, it couldn't be a dead CPU as it wouldn't power in the first place so after doing all the tests i plugged everything back and placed my mobo back in the case and now when I try to turn it on nothing would happen no beeps no LED fans working it just remains as if I haven't powered it at all I checked 5 to6 times whether I forgot to plug in something or not but everything is in place
!