Closed Solved

Trifire VS 7770

I've been saving for awhile now, and I'm finally doing a computer upgrade that has been long overdue. Right now, I'm rocking asymetric crossfire with a 5770 and a 5750, plus a third Nvidia card to run my external monitor and for CUDA accelerated software. I have a fourth PCIe slot on my motherboard, and the case has room for it, but I can't decide if I want to go with another 5770 or upgrade to the HD7770. If the 7770 can outperform three 57XXs, then that's what I want, but if it can't, I'll go trifire. Power consumption isn't really an issue, because I live in military housing which means that electricity is included in my rent and at a fixed rate. I don't want to go Nvidia, because I'm running a triple screen eyefinity group, which one single Nvidia card won't suport (to my knowlege), and lets face it- I'm a fanboy.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about trifire 7770
  1. HD7770 can't! But there are more powerful cards that can and would be a much better solution than a trifire with lower midrange cards!
  2. rolli59 said:
    HD7770 can't! But there are more powerful cards that can and would be a much better solution than a trifire with lower midrange cards!


    I only plan to buy one low range card. That's why I'm split on this. I can't seem to find any comparative benchmarks (although I admit I really haven't had time to look), and if I could get better performance with one card than three, that would be preferable. Considering that the clocks are much higher, and that the chip is on a completely new arch, it seemed to be a real possibility that one could outpower three, especially considering scaling, but I think I'll just go with another 5770.
  3. Best answer
    a 7770 won't beat crossfire 5750s. You can look at benchmarks and its quite clear. last I looked though the 3rd card doesn't add to FPS much, just smooths out microstuttering/min fps

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-6.html

    Also a lot of boards 4th slot.is only x4 if your planning on using all 4 slots. I wouldn't bother with either option personally
  4. ashinms said:
    I only plan to buy one low range card. That's why I'm split on this. I can't seem to find any comparative benchmarks (although I admit I really haven't had time to look), and if I could get better performance with one card than three, that would be preferable. Considering that the clocks are much higher, and that the chip is on a completely new arch, it seemed to be a real possibility that one could outpower three, especially considering scaling, but I think I'll just go with another 5770.

    You might even get better performance with 2 x HD5770 than with the third being HD5750 which drops all of them to the level of HD5750! A single HD6870 would perform close to your CF setup.
  5. rolli59 said:
    You might even get better performance with 2 x HD5770 than with the third being HD5750 which drops all of them to the level of HD5750! A single HD6870 would perform close to your CF setup.


    I was afraid of that. Looks like i might just have to bite the bullet and wait on this one. I really need a better CPU than GPU, anyways.
  6. unksol said:
    a 7770 won't beat crossfire 5750s. You can look at benchmarks and its quite clear. last I looked though the 3rd card doesn't add to FPS much, just smooths out microstuttering/min fps

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-6.html

    Also a lot of boards 4th slot.is only x4 if your planning on using all 4 slots. I wouldn't bother with either option personally



    Yes, last slot is definately four channel, but the third and second are X8. #1 is, of course, X16. I shouldn't need too much bandwith for my fourth card, thoug. I rarely even use it.
  7. Best answer selected by ashinms.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics