Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Trifire VS 7770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2012 9:45:36 PM

I've been saving for awhile now, and I'm finally doing a computer upgrade that has been long overdue. Right now, I'm rocking asymetric crossfire with a 5770 and a 5750, plus a third Nvidia card to run my external monitor and for CUDA accelerated software. I have a fourth PCIe slot on my motherboard, and the case has room for it, but I can't decide if I want to go with another 5770 or upgrade to the HD7770. If the 7770 can outperform three 57XXs, then that's what I want, but if it can't, I'll go trifire. Power consumption isn't really an issue, because I live in military housing which means that electricity is included in my rent and at a fixed rate. I don't want to go Nvidia, because I'm running a triple screen eyefinity group, which one single Nvidia card won't suport (to my knowlege), and lets face it- I'm a fanboy.

More about : trifire 7770

a c 1406 U Graphics card
April 6, 2012 11:30:31 PM

HD7770 can't! But there are more powerful cards that can and would be a much better solution than a trifire with lower midrange cards!
Score
April 7, 2012 12:45:24 PM

rolli59 said:
HD7770 can't! But there are more powerful cards that can and would be a much better solution than a trifire with lower midrange cards!

I only plan to buy one low range card. That's why I'm split on this. I can't seem to find any comparative benchmarks (although I admit I really haven't had time to look), and if I could get better performance with one card than three, that would be preferable. Considering that the clocks are much higher, and that the chip is on a completely new arch, it seemed to be a real possibility that one could outpower three, especially considering scaling, but I think I'll just go with another 5770.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 78 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 1:00:50 PM

a 7770 won't beat crossfire 5750s. You can look at benchmarks and its quite clear. last I looked though the 3rd card doesn't add to FPS much, just smooths out microstuttering/min fps

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

Also a lot of boards 4th slot.is only x4 if your planning on using all 4 slots. I wouldn't bother with either option personally

a c 1406 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 1:59:46 PM

ashinms said:
I only plan to buy one low range card. That's why I'm split on this. I can't seem to find any comparative benchmarks (although I admit I really haven't had time to look), and if I could get better performance with one card than three, that would be preferable. Considering that the clocks are much higher, and that the chip is on a completely new arch, it seemed to be a real possibility that one could outpower three, especially considering scaling, but I think I'll just go with another 5770.

You might even get better performance with 2 x HD5770 than with the third being HD5750 which drops all of them to the level of HD5750! A single HD6870 would perform close to your CF setup.
Score
April 7, 2012 2:10:59 PM

rolli59 said:
You might even get better performance with 2 x HD5770 than with the third being HD5750 which drops all of them to the level of HD5750! A single HD6870 would perform close to your CF setup.

I was afraid of that. Looks like i might just have to bite the bullet and wait on this one. I really need a better CPU than GPU, anyways.
Score
April 7, 2012 2:13:15 PM

unksol said:
a 7770 won't beat crossfire 5750s. You can look at benchmarks and its quite clear. last I looked though the 3rd card doesn't add to FPS much, just smooths out microstuttering/min fps

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

Also a lot of boards 4th slot.is only x4 if your planning on using all 4 slots. I wouldn't bother with either option personally

Yes, last slot is definately four channel, but the third and second are X8. #1 is, of course, X16. I shouldn't need too much bandwith for my fourth card, thoug. I rarely even use it.
Score
April 7, 2012 7:24:34 PM

Best answer selected by ashinms.
Score
!