Your question

New PC setup ~ review current GS/recomend better one

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Desktops
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2012 7:09:10 AM

Hi, I am going to get myself a new desktop pc these days and I've found something really nice:

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7-3770 prosessor
12 GB RAM
NVIDIA GT 630 Graphics with 2048 MB Memory

I am still using a desktop from the 2004 and i really havent been catching up with whats good of the new ones.
although I googled around I found that new releases may not be so good as they seem.
Now I want a powerfull pc (lets not go as far as NASA) which i intent to use for gaming. I am sick of trying to play games on lowest graphics and still struggling.

Budget is not of a problem (within reason), but the offer for what I mentioned above is $1400. Since I can afford a bit more than that I want to make sure my graphic card is good enough. If not to replace it with better.

And here I need you opinions. I dont have the time to go through all the reviews from the past few years, but let me know what you think of the performance of this GS and what would you suggest.

Thanks in advance for resourcefull responce.

More about : setup review current recomend

June 5, 2012 9:09:13 AM

seems i made an innacurate topic.
Related resources
June 5, 2012 9:22:18 AM

Oh got that is a very very bad offer for $1400.. Of course, it depends where you live, but components are very imbalanced (i7, 12GB RAM, and very weak graphics card) and it seems like a scam.

If you told us where you were from (country), we could find you a much much better deal.

Also, how comfortable are you in building your own PC?

And what will you use the PC for?
June 5, 2012 9:25:27 AM

Sunius I have sent u private message asking you for a new build u might want to check this out.

The country I live in is Norway (stuff are expensive here!)
I DO want to build my own. I've done it before, its really exciting and I do want to repeat it.
Budget is limited to 1600$. (actually i can afford 1000$ more, but next month :pfff:  )

I would be glad to have a new build.

PC will be used for gaming purposes. High performance would be preffered.
June 5, 2012 9:35:09 AM

This is the link you sent me:
http://www.elkjop.no/product/data/stasjonar-pc/ASX39950...

If you understand, it's better to discuss in public - some other members of the community might have something to add and others can use the same advice as well.

The site that you gave me is very poor, they don't sell computers, only objects that look like them and pretend to be them. Don't you any other shop?

$1600 is actually a nice budget, you can get a very decent system for that.
June 5, 2012 9:42:12 AM

actually that is just a shop for electrical hardware which happens to have computers aswell. I just ended up on a commercial in the newspaper today and decided that Its time for me to check around what I can get.
I used that offer as a basis to start my research since I have not been updating myself with new info on pc hardware since 2004.
So here I am looking for a new build. I am not really familiar with Norway's computer shops, so I may actually order them from abroad. (tax will not be included which makes it expensive)
Expert has computers but I dont know how far they are into this category.
I actually might need to make a research on what shops this country has before ordering around. But what I was intending to do is to first learn what parts I want in order to build a new tower, and then search for them in shops.
June 5, 2012 10:02:46 AM

I see. The reason I asked you for a link for shop in your country because I have no idea of the prices. I suppose prices are similar to UK? Your budget is $1600, That translates to 1040 GBP. Let's see what you can get for that price:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£175.99 @ Dabs)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£40.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£83.00 @ Amazon UK)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£66.99 @ Dabs)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£339.20 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case (£67.98 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply (£52.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive (£11.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£69.96 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1043.30
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-05 11:02 BST+0100)

That computer is very VERY decent. It's got an SSD, GTX 670 graphics card and unlocked i5 CPU. Way faster than the one you linked.
June 5, 2012 10:14:21 AM

now that was pretty fast :o 

I would like to ask few newbie questions for these items.

a) How does it benefit the performance of the PC to have simultaneously 1 ssd hd and 1 mech one? SSD is faster indeed, but If I have the SSD, why would I need an mech HD?

b) Doesnt an i7 quad core processor benefit me more for gaming? (I can increase the budget limit for the core essential parts)

c) Are 8GB memory enough for high performance gaming? (same as b)

Thanks for your trouble so far.
June 5, 2012 10:41:33 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section Systems by Mousemonkey
June 5, 2012 11:02:10 AM

Well, let's see:

a) Basically, you put your windows and mostly used programs/games on the SSD. They load fast, open up instantly. However, you can't put everything on it, since you have only 120 GB and it's preferable to have at least 30% of it free, because if you fill it up, the performance will suffer. Furthermore, it's absolutely useless to put music, movies or documents there - they don't benefit from it.

b) Not really. The only advantage i7 has over i5 is that it has hyperthreading - which is having 8 vitual cores (called threads) instead of 4. However, there is no game in the world that is able to use all eight cores, most use 2 maximum and only Battlefield 3 uses 4. Also, since the i5 model is unlocked, you can overclock it as much as i7, so the performance in games will be identical.

c) Yes. My own system has 8 GB of RAM and when I have 3 games open (Battlefield 3, Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft) at the same time, it uses a little bit more than 6 GB. So it's pretty much unrealistic to reach the 8 GB limit, unless you use some kind of super duper powerful 3d modelling program. I have reached RAM upper limit once, when I left a memory leak in my own program.. It's wasn't pretty :lol: . Anyway, you can always add two more sticks to upgrade to 16 GB in few years if you feel it's not enough, but at this day, it's totally waste of money to get more than 8 GB.
June 5, 2012 3:54:29 PM

thanks for the replies! It was really helpfull. :love: 

Good Luck~
June 5, 2012 4:40:19 PM

Glad I could help :) .
July 3, 2012 3:49:39 PM

Hi again, finally I am getting the whole thing this week, but the store will not have the motherboard mentioned above untill the date I have appointed to (6th of July) so they asked me if I would like an alternative.

So Im asking for your advice on which I would choose in order to be able to upgrade this computer in the future:

what I had choose upon:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 ~ price: 1049,- [Norwegian Krones]

what they have in stock:

Asrock Z77 Pro4 1099,-

Asrock Z77 Extreme6 1650,-

Asrock Z77 Fatality Professional 1799,-

ASUS P8Z77-V 1450,-

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO 1590,-

What are your suggestions on this?
The store is http://www.digitalimpuls.no/

Thanks in advance for any advices

July 6, 2012 11:29:03 AM

Hey sorry for the delay. I'd stick with the Extreme4. It's a very decent motherboard, and you'll save money too :) .
July 7, 2012 3:29:17 PM

i actually bought the asrock z77. lets see how it runs for an year or 2 and then might change it if im dissapointed.

thanks for your responce.
btw have any clue from where i can download asrock z77 chipset drivers, because their site doesnt help much
!