• Product
Last response: in CPUs
October 2, 2012 8:53:24 PM

My system spec is as follows :-
CPU :- 955 BE @4.0Ghz
GPU :- HD Radeon 7970
Ram :- 4gb Mushkin Enhanced
Mobo :- G54-870a MSI

I have an overlocked 955BE @ 4.0ghz, which is stable without any voltage change, and with some researching and testing I could probably go higher, but my current level yields some decent results. For £150 I can get an FX-8150 and sell my current processor to make the price gap smaller.

My question is this, Is it worth the upgrade to the FX-8150 and overclock it, to gain extra performance in gaming? With doing some tricks like disabling a few cores for a bigger OC. Do any of you have any first hand experience with the level of FPS increase with certain games the overclocking has given you from stock clocks on the fx-8150 to OC.

I am a gamer, so anything to do with hyperthreading is a non-issue, this is purely a gaming, overclocking question.

More about : phenom quad core core

a b à CPUs
October 2, 2012 9:01:08 PM

FX chips are downgrades for gamers. The Deneb core, which you have, works better than anything made by AMD at the moment.
a b à CPUs
October 2, 2012 9:01:52 PM

I wouldn't spend the money. The 8150 does do a little bit better than the Phenoms in some games more than others, (in bf3 espically) but AMD is suppose to be releasing their new line of CPU's very soon now, I would wait for those to come out. Even if they do suck (they're suppose to be really decent though) you could look for another price drop on the 8150 and buy it then
Related resources
a c 124 à CPUs
October 2, 2012 9:03:58 PM

Nope.

4 Denebs cores at 4GHz is fine and dandy.

You best remaining OC option is increasing the IMC/NB to 2400MHz and above. That should give you a nice boost.

Keep your HT link as close to 2000MHz as possible --- no real gains to be seen, there.

October 2, 2012 9:14:36 PM

I understand that the NB is the motherboards northbridge, but what is the IMC refer to.
a c 154 à CPUs
October 2, 2012 11:59:10 PM

There is no point in going from a Phenom II to a Bulldozer. At best it's a side grade but IMO it's a down grade.
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 12:08:55 AM

Bulldozer at 4.6 is about as fast as the phenom at 4, its really not an upgrade since thats pretty much the limit of both their OC on air.
a c 96 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 12:16:06 AM

egilbe said:
FX chips are downgrades for gamers. The Deneb core, which you have, works better than anything made by AMD at the moment.

While you are not the only prson saying this kind of thing its fundamentally not true .

Most of the game benchmarks [ like the ones here on Toms] used older DX9 games that dont multithread well or even at all . If you run more recent DX11 games the results are very different

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg2/amd-fx-8...

Head to head with an intel 17 2600K
1080p resolution
DX 11 games

and the FX 8150 is the winner by a decent margin

Would I replace a phenom with an 8150?
No
In a few weeks the piledriver processors will be available . Wait till then
a c 186 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 12:25:29 AM

J_4mes said:

My question is this, Is it worth the upgrade to the FX-8150 and overclock it, to gain extra performance in gaming? With doing some tricks like disabling a few cores for a bigger OC. Do any of you have any first hand experience with the level of FPS increase with certain games the overclocking has given you from stock clocks on the fx-8150 to OC.

Then there's no point.

Might as well buy an FX-4xxx/6xxx, even then Phenom II would outperform them.
a c 154 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 12:30:11 AM

amuffin said:
Then there's no point.

I agree. If you have to turn off cores just to make it perform better then there really is no point. Like Muffin said if you're going to do that you might as well get the 4100 but even then the Phenom II will out perform it.
a c 146 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 1:37:50 AM

J_4mes said:
I understand that the NB is the motherboards northbridge, but what is the IMC refer to.

IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) refers to the memory controller which is integrated in the CPU since the original AMD Athlon and Intel i3/5/7.
a c 124 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 12:35:44 PM

amuffin said:
Then there's no point.

rds1220 said:
I agree. If you have to turn off cores just to make it perform better then there really is no point. Like Muffin said if you're going to do that you might as well get the 4100 but even then the Phenom II will out perform it.

Not exactly.

Intel has the same phenomena with hyper-threading enabled on some chips.

And the IMC/NB (as noted) is the memory controller. The north-bridge is not like the north-bridge *bus* of old times. For each 10% increase in the speed of the IMC/NB, memory bandwidth is increased 3-4% and latency is reduced 3-4%.

Depending upon your motherboard BIOS, you may simply raise the *CPU/NB Frequency* multiplier, or, if this option is not available to you, raise the system clock to a typical 'sweet spot' in conjunction with dropping the memory divider to keep your memory at stock spec.

For DDR3 1333 - system clock 250MHz (RAM divider at 533 / 5.33x250MHz=1333MHz)
For DDR3 1600 - system clock 240MHz (RAM divider at 667 / 6.67x240MHz=1600MHz)

With the IMC/NB at 'stock' 10x multiplier, you have your speed boost. Something up to 1.25v (if not less) NB volts should handle 2500MHz or so.

a c 83 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 3:08:58 PM

That 8150 will probably need to be clocked to 4.5Ghz to even match the Phenom II in games, and you need a new AM3+ motherboard to upgrade, it's not worth the cost. If you need to upgrade for gaming get an I5 instead, it's much faster.
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 3:36:12 PM

No it won't at 3.8ghz it matches a 1100T and within margin of error with a i5, you look at around ~500mhz to intel, but at 4ghz or 4.2ghz you look at rather good performance, clock speed compensates the lower IPC, feeding pipes faster.
a c 96 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:06:15 PM

loneninja said:
That 8150 will probably need to be clocked to 4.5Ghz to even match the Phenom II in games, and you need a new AM3+ motherboard to upgrade, it's not worth the cost. If you need to upgrade for gaming get an I5 instead, it's much faster.

Read this
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1285/pg2/amd-fx-8...

The intels reputation as a gamer is based on higher fps at low resolutions . It means squat when you get to 1080p
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:13:32 PM

it will be called crap because AMD cannot possibly win in anything.
!