Monitor questions

wuggi

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hi there
This is probably not the right section but I couldn't find any forum dedicated to monitors so I picked this because "...& displays"...
So I'm planning on building my new rig sometime next week hopefully and I'm about to order the final parts. I still have a few questions regarding choice of monitor though.
The one I'm considering is this Samsung
http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/computer-peripherals/monitors/consumer/LS22A300BS/XK?subsubtype=series-3-led

I picked it because it looks great and since I don't have much knowledge in the monitor area I decided to stick with the one brand I know is pretty good (Dell is great too but their price points are beyond what I'd be willing to shell out)
Furthermore I need a screen that isn't too massive so a 21-22" seems like a good compromise between size and 1080p resolution.

So to the point; is it a good choice or should I find something else?
Is the lack of HDMI a big minus ?
anything else I might've overlooked ?

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I used to have that exact monitor, and I can attest to the fact that it is a piece of crap.

The menu buttons well, good luck adjusting settings with them :)
The power button, if you can turn on the power within 150 presses, consider it a success.
The back with the i/o panel actually PUSHES in, I felt like it was going to break, just plugging in a dvi cable.

Conclusion.. Get this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236050

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Like Gary1 said, I dumped that Samsung monitor within a couple of months. I couldn't stand the oversaturation of colors, limited adjustability due to the previous concern and general cheapness of it.

I ended up going with the Planar PX2710MW when it was on sale recently for $200.00 and have been very happy with the price/performance ratio! Of about 8 monitors in the house it seems to be the most "usable", including a few Dells of various models.

I am looking to get two more PX2710MW, actually... for 5860x1080 gaming!

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Returned it within 5 days. :)

Was your power button and connector panel that bad also?

wuggi

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
damn looks like it was a good decision to check in here first :) (no answer from other forums yet :p)

newegg is cool and all but unfourtunately I'm living across the pond (Denmark specifically) so prices and selection isn't the same to put it mildly.
I couldn't find the monitor you suggested gary but I did find this one instead http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VH228H/

It looks like it has the same primary specifications plus a more solid baseplate and stick. Is it a solid pick ?

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

The connections werent bad, just the overall quality, mostly. The color presentation was just way too "cartoony" or technicolor looking. Like some of the oversaturated cell phone screens. I did notice that plugging in connections would cause flex. I have Samsung TVs and LOVE them! So I was surprised the the monitors weren't of similar quality/experience.

It is still in the house, but relegated as a console for my servers.

wuggi

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

I think this was why I was going for the samsung screen and was quite surprised at the low quality

matter37

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I would recommend the ASUS VS228H-P as long as you don't have a very unstable desk, it is a very high quality monitor with some really nice features and amazing design, it also is on sale quite often, I got mine for $130 I would definitely recommend it.

matter37

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
The VH228 is nice too but i Like my VS228H-P better, unless you need the crappy built in speakers I would recommend the VS228