Possible to use "Clone Mac Address" with "MAC address filtering?

ferretmania

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hello,

Thanks for taking time to read my query. I'm trying to set up a Linksys WRT54g for a friend who has a Comcast Motorola cable modem. After doing some research I decided to employ WPA + TKIP. Initially I thought there would be a single computer (i.e. the one used to originally register the MAC address) accessing the Linksys router which is hooked up to the Comcast modem. Now I'm told that a second computer plus a Wii will require access.

Here's my question. Since the Comcast modem will only accept one MAC address, is the following the most efficient and secure set up:

1) Clone MAC address from the original computer to the Linksys modem.

2) Use WPA2 + AES encryption

3)Obtain the MAC addresses of the 2nd computer and the WII and then use MAC address filtering to limit access.

I've done a lot of research, but feel honestly that I'm in over my head. So your help will be very much appreciated!

1) Clone the MAC address of the first computer since that is the one that seems to be registered with Comcast.

2) yes use WPA2+AES. if the firmware does not support it, use the DD-WRT firmware which also will allow you to setup QoS since you are having a Wii connected.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

3) you could add MAC address filtering; however, I do not think it is really necessary since WPA2+AES is as secure as it can get. Should you be concerned about family members handing out the wireless pass-phrase then yes enable MAC address filtering.