Ftp website blocked for one user only ; no firewall

byterbit

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
NO FIREWALL ! Trusted site !

Win 7 home. I get:
"403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied."
when trying to get to a ftp web site. Other user account on this machine has no problem.

Both accounts are now admin; this (problematic) account was not at first.
There is no firewall running, MS or 3rd party. I have added this ftp url to the "trusted sites" in Internet properties. There was a McCaffee app on this account; I removed it 6 boot ups ago.
Is this a Certificate issue or a broken firewall issue or a setting issue ?

byterbit

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Only this machine for this user account has this problem. Administrator account runs the FTP site fine. I see no difference in any relevant setting between them.

When I put another machine on this Ethernet cable it runs fine , so it’s not the upstream router.( of course, given the above)

I’ve done everything I can to make sure nothing is blocking the FTP port for this user. Again no firewall, Internet properties / internet settings on low (open) , the url is in “trusted sites”.

When I try to telnet to the ftp website (telnent FTP.XXXX.COM 21) it hangs. I can ping the site fine, so it sure looks like a port 21 issue. It “feels” to me like some bit of McCaffee is hanging out, getting in the way, but I cant prove it. The other user, admin, had no firewall at all.

Towards the end of this nonsense I on Windows firewall, opened port 21, then removed it, and turn the firewall itself off just to “throw some switches “ ; no change