Sign in with
Your question

HD 5670 broken fan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2012 12:50:26 AM

Hi,
I recently had my 5670's fan broken: it's crooked and touching the heatsink, what makes it spin slower and so the computer shuts down. Is there any way to change only the fan? And if there is, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

More about : 5670 broken fan

a c 181 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 12:56:00 AM

Two things you can replace the card or go to newegg.com and look at 3rd party coolers. You would take the old heat sink and fan off buy some thermal past and a new fan and heat sink and apply the paste on the chip and install the cooler on it. I will look for the link for you unless someone beats me to it.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2012 1:19:00 AM

Thanks, but I live in Brazil, so I'm not able to buy from Newegg once i'd have to pay more in taxes and shipping than the cooler's price itself.
But it was helpful to know that I can't replace only the fan. :) 
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 1:27:54 AM

The only way you can find out is contact the manufacturer and see if they have or even know if just the fan can be replaced or if they can replace the heatsink and fan. It is worth a try.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 1:29:50 AM

You can change the fan. Depending on the model you have. Some are easy and some you have to be a little creative.
Post which brand and model you have and we can offer suggestions.
m
l
April 7, 2012 1:43:09 AM

You mean the Card model?
It's a Visiontek Radeon HD 5670 1gb
If you're talking about the replacement fan, I don't have any, I intend to buy one as soon as I find it.
I believe this is easier than if I already had one.

edit: found out that this card has a 2-pin connector, so can't I solve this just buying a 2-pin fan and replacing it?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 1:57:35 AM

That one is easy if the slot below your graphics card is empty.
Remove the fan and plastic shroud covering the heatsin.
Screw or zip-tie(nylon wire tie) a 90mm or 80mm case fan to the aluminum heatsink.The screws go between the heatsink fins.
A fan from an AMD heatsink would also work.
Plug it in to a motherboard fan header.
Yes a 2 pin would also work just fine.
m
l
April 7, 2012 2:19:41 AM

What do you mean also? I think the only connector that would work is the 2-pin kind.
What fan would you use in your method?
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 11:44:36 PM

I would be careful when trying to modify some thing. One thing is for sure if you don't get the fan secured down it will vibrate and drive you crazy. Then you have to make sure that the fan is a two pin one.

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of people who modify things that go in or attach to your PC. All I am saying is be careful. If you mess up then it could cost you a lot of money. Good luck to you.
m
l
!