What to do after getting debit card info stolen?

seven7hseal

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I know that this isn't really the place to post this but IDK where else to do it and i figured u guys might be able to help me because of your knowledge in technology. So i checked my account yesterday and it showed a 90 dollar transaction that wasn't made by me so i called my bank and had them cancel my card. At first I thought that someone hacked my computer and stole the information but after scanning my computer with Avast, Malwarebytes, and super antispyware it showed no viruses. So what I want to know is do you think that my debit card info was taken from my computer and I can't find the virus or was it taken from a card skimmer on a bad ATM? should i reformat my HDD just in case?

more then not your pc was hacked. I would first go online or call the three free credit reporting and get a free credit report. I would also place a fraud alert on it..it be free for 90 days then it end...or you can pay for one year. today with a lot of restraunts and small stores have portable card readers. if they dont clear the card info there been reports of people stealing info from the cards. most scam people will use free data bases to get your info. then they call the bank or send a letter that they lost your card or they need a spare card. the banks and credit card compines dont follow up that the card new mailing info is few state away. the scammer gets a new card and activates it then starts using it till it turned off. some things to protect you if you shop online a lot. open up a checking account at your local bank..have it so you can move money into it from your main checking account. get a reloadable visa or mastercard or go to your bank and get a debit card for the new checking account..tell the bank you dont need any checks for that account. link new account to the pay as you go credit card. if the account or card is stolen there only going to get the 20.00 you used to open the account. you can then call the bank and close the account and toss the pay as you go card away. one thing to watch out for is warning email from paypal or your bank or credit card. most of them are a scam that want you to log into the scammer web page. if you get one of those emails allways use your browser and go to the banks or credit card may web page and then log in.

It's also just as likely that your debit card info was stolen from a skimmer at an ATM or other swipe device (think about where you've used the card lately - did anything seem not quite right?). So while fortifying your computer is never a bad idea, it's by no means the only way for a thief to get your info.

The main way you can do yourself a favor is to not use your debit card to make purchases ever - online or anywhere else. Use a credit card, or as others have said, a prepaid card. With either of those, you have a limited exposure; with a prepaid card there's not much to steal, with a credit card you're only liable for the first $50 if you report it quickly. With a debit card, that's real money that's gone - and getting back money that's already gone is a lot harder than getting a writeoff on a bill you have to pay.

TRENDING THREADS