Sign in with
Your question

Monitor won't display after installing a new graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2012 1:08:57 AM

Hello

I need some help Im trying to install my new graphics card its a Radeon HD6770 my computer specs are

dell inspiron 530
intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 450 @2.20GHz 2.19GHz
ram 2.0gb
intel G33/G31 express chipset family

When i plug the cord from the monitor to the on board graphic my computer boots right up with no issues. but if i plug the cord into the 6770 graphics card the monitor is black and goes into power saving mode but the tower seems to boot up i can hear the fans/power supply and the blue light on the power button turn on and stays on. when i open the case i can see the fan on the graphics card is spinning

I also have a new power supply in it its a Corsair CX430

any idea on how to get my graphics card working?
a c 164 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 7, 2012 1:19:22 AM

You did plug in the power cord from the CX430 to the 6770 right?
April 7, 2012 1:19:39 AM

photoeditspro said:
Hello

I need some help Im trying to install my new graphics card its a Radeon HD6770 my computer specs are

dell inspiron 530
intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 450 @2.20GHz 2.19GHz
ram 2.0gb
intel G33/G31 express chipset family

When i plug the cord from the monitor to the on board graphic my computer boots right up with no issues. but if i plug the cord into the 6770 graphics card the monitor is black and goes into power saving mode but the tower seems to boot up i can hear the fans/power supply and the blue light on the power button turn on and stays on. when i open the case i can see the fan on the graphics card is spinning

I also have a new power supply in it its a Corsair CX430

any idea on how to get my graphics card working?

Go into your bios and change the settings from On Board graphis, to the one you are using. you have to tell the bios which one you want to use. Right now, the on board one is selected..
Related resources
April 7, 2012 1:26:37 AM

yes i plugged the graphics card to the power supply. how do you go into bios?
April 7, 2012 1:46:11 AM

Check if you pushed the card into the PCI-E slot all the way, even if you remember a click just recheck it and try pushing it in.
April 7, 2012 1:56:45 AM

i will check in a min to make sure. I changed the settings in bios and its still doing the same thing monitor still black and it goes in power saving mode
a c 187 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 7, 2012 2:12:19 AM

sometime you have to let windows boot with the cable on the onboard video. let it boot into windows and install the video card drivers. when it done reboot. if the video still on the onboard you have to go into windows device manager and turn off onboard video or selete the ati video as monitor 1.
April 7, 2012 2:15:02 AM

yep i made sure i pushed the card in all the way and double checked it was connected to the power supply. its still not showing anything on the monitor
April 7, 2012 2:34:31 PM

I downloaded the drivers and the utility from the disk that came with the graphics card but it still isn't showing anything in the monitor and enters power saving mode anything else i can try to get this graphics card to work?
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 7, 2012 2:42:36 PM

Try booting with onboard graphics, and when done so check in the device manager whether it is recognizing the card. If it is, try switching the cable from onboard solution to the graphics card. Don't worry, it isn't harmful.
April 7, 2012 3:44:43 PM

i booted with onboard graphics in device manager its shows asus other devices when i switch the cable it goes straight into power saving mode and doesnt show anything what else can i do? also when i first logged onto my user name it has a small window that says smart doctor than an error comes up and says can not find asus graphics card
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 7, 2012 3:46:56 PM

Hmm double check the power connector. If it still doesn't work, do you have another computer, in which you could try your graphics card? Or maybe your friend has one? It might be dead on arrival, in which case you'd have to RMA it.
April 7, 2012 4:10:24 PM

I only have this computer and a laptop and no friends with a computer. and the fan on the graphics card runs so wouldn't that mean that it works? and what does RMA mean? sorry i dont know alot about computers
a c 289 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 7, 2012 4:21:14 PM

RMA - return merchandise authorization
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
A return merchandise authorization (RMA), return goods authorization (RGA), or return merchandise agreement (rarely return material authorization) is the process of having a product repaired or replaced in order to receive a refund or credit for another product from the same retailer or corporation within the product's warranty period. The RMA process and the issuance of an RMA is a key gatekeeping moment in the reverse logistics cycle. This term is often used in the electronics industry as a part of service agreements, according to which the customer returns the product back to the company and gets a new or repaired product back, generally with an additional warranty on the returned product.

Basically it involves contacting the shop you bought the card from and requesting them to repair/exchange your card because it isn't working.
April 7, 2012 4:29:38 PM

ok thank you i emailed the shop i bought it from
!