I want to put a phenom x4 9850 in my pegatron M2N78-LA

Xaeb

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I looked up the specs on that mb and Pegatron tells me that this board does support the phenom x4 up to the 9xxx series...but when I install the cpu it immediately on powering on tells me the cpu is not supported.
Any words of wisdom to solve this dilemma?

Check to see if there are any necessary BIOS updates needed to to run that CPU.

Also make sure you are placing the CPU into the socket the right way. The pins are lined up in a certain pattern and if the CPU is not in the socket right the pins will stick up and the CPU won't sit right in it's socket. Rember the socket is ZIF (Zero Insertion Force.) Also make sure the Socket lever is fully down and locked in place.

Xaeb

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
The cpu was set in the socket properly and the level was fully down and hooked. I'm pretty sure it's the BIOS after looking on a few websites. It's an older HP bundle garbage rig and I'd just like to upgrade it a bit from the Athlon II x2 to a phenom x4 9850 that I happened to have lying around after I built another pc. Thanks for the help everyone!

What is the socket and why would you change from an Athlon II to an older Phenom I? The Phenom I was a horrible CPU it was slow and ran hot. It didn't take them long to replace it with the Phenom II. If anything going from an Athlon II to a Phenom I would be a down grade not an upgade.

Xaeb

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I'm playing Guild Wars 2 and the athlon is maxed out at 100% cpu usage at all times. I have horrible fps so I tried dropping the phenom in to another mb a buddy had and tried it. The game stabilized and jumped roughly 40 fps even on high settings so I figured I'd throw it in my pc. I know it runs hot so I got a Scythe Shuriken cpu cooler for it.

Oh and the socket is AM2 so I'm limited in what cpu's I can put in it.

According to HP's website these are the only CPU's that are compatible with that motherboard.

Socket type: AM2

TDP:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

AMD Athlon X2 (Bt)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 up to 6000+ (W)

AMD Phenom Triple-Core up to 8xxx (AM2+) (Toliman)

AMD Phenom Quad-Core 9xxx series (AM2+) up to 9850 (Agena)

I don't see anywhere on the website saying if you need to flash the BIOS. Usually it will say:

CPU A

CPU B

CPU C (with BIOS revision)

but I don't see that anywhere. I would call HP before you flash the BIOS because there is always a risk. If you do it wrong or if the power goes out during the flashing process it will brick the motherboard and that's it. There is nothing you can do but get a new motherboard.