Lower FPS than expected with HD4770.

dandog96

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hi, I'm new to the forum and had a quick question. I recently bought a ATI Hd 4770 so I could game a bit on a lower budget. It set me back $50, which I think is reasonable. All was going well till I started playing games :( . The problem is I have much lower frame rates than one would expect with similar hardware. My whole setup is a 400 watt power supply, 2.5gb of DDR2 ram, a Core 2 Duo e6300 cpu and the mentioned video card. And I am running a low resolution too, only 1366x768. I get about 18 fps average in GTA IV on medium settings with fairly low drawing distances and such, while on Youtube I see people with 8800gt`s getting about 30 fps or more with a very similar setup as mine. And theoretically my card should be about 20% better than the 8800gt. While in Need for Speed Shift, something weird happens, I get around 24 fps on medium with no Antistropic (is that what it`s called?) filtering, and the same fps (slightly lower) with everything on high and 16x filtering which confuses me. I am running the latest ATI drivers on windows 7 x32, but was getting the same fps with a x64 bit operating system. Another thing is can somebody explain why the aero effects don`t turn off when I enter a game? Thank You.

loanstar744

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Sounds just like my old setup except it has a single core AMD Sempron 3300+ 1.8GHz CPU and a AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 Low-Profile in it. You should uninstall all of your AMD drivers and run a registry cleaner like the one in Glary Utilities then do the following posted here and run this program: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Once you do that install the latest drivers then test your games again and report back.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
gta 4 is notoriously badly coded. your performance sounds about right to me.

what you describe in NFS, is a cpu bottleneck. your cpu is not powerful enough to allow the gpu to stretch its legs. so increasing graphic settings doesn't hit performance.

tbh, its an old machine that's going to need updating if you want to play modern games.

loanstar744

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Yes it is by quite a bit except for the GPU, you should have said in your original post that it was a new install, that would have covered a lot of ground. But my old setup gets about 40-50FPS when playing Portal 2 with most settings set to max except for MSAA, for you to be getting about 18-20FPS in GTA is normal as welsh said for that setups because of the CPU, you need one hell of a CPU such as a Dual Core @ 3GHz or a Quad at the same speed or more. Try other games out with that setup, it's just a tad outdated to be playing games like GTA IV. My old setup did that exact same thing that NFS Shift does to you, I could usually max out the graphics on any game and get the same FPS but my CPU couldn't keep up, such as Crysis, when I first started the game with all settings maxed it played about 40FPS constant until there was a lot of debris on the ground, the physics system started to cause the game to lag extremely bad because my CPU was at it's limit. You should consider updating or start building a new PC if you can.

Another thing, most 4770's say that they should have a minimum of a 450W PSU and also, where did you pick it up at? Almost all places I see the product is discontinued.