Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 680 -- Crashes and Unplayable Framerates Randomly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2012 2:37:52 AM

I have the reference designed EVGA GTX 680 with the most up-to-date drivers (301.10) as of 4/6/2012. I have owned this card for two days and have not registered it yet on the EVGA website.

The issue that I’m experiencing with this card is that after an unspecificed amount of time, the game (or my graphics card as it happens with every game I’ve tried) will turn in a black screen on both monitors, have the audio stutter and cut out for a period of around three to five seconds, then have the display and sound reappear with the FPS dropping down from its original state of (let’s say for the game Skyrim) a constant 60FPS to around a very unplayable 10FPS. This happened after around two hours of playing, with around two hours of it being minimized while I watched a movie on the same computer in fullscreen, then playing it again for around an hour where it had crashed in the middle of a fight where the amount of objects, particles, effects, etc on the screen had not exceed that of any other fight I’ve had in the game anywhere before in those three hours of playtime (to just indicate to you that it show not have been “overloaded” or what not because of the game). Then, the game crashes, the game is still unplayable when I re-open it unless I then re-open it again, and I can then go on my merry way with it working correctly again when I open up EVGA PRECISION X, change the clocks down by 5MHz then up by 5MHz and have the graphics card perform normally again.

This issue persisted when I attempted to play the game EVE Online with two clients open at the highest settings. Both of the clients had been running fine, both being at around 110FPS, when the exact same thing happened again after around 30 minutes of playing – however the clients did not crash, but I manually closed them as the game had become unplayable at 10FPS.
I doubt many people, if any, have been experiencing this issue, but I’d love to try my luck and attempt to reach out for your help as I’d truly like not to have to return this card and have another shipped. Any help would be gloriously appreciated.

EDIT: Also, this had been my clocks when I was sitting at the desktop and also when it crashes. However, the clocks stay the same when I enter the game, where it usually changed due to GPU Boost, and I have to do what I said in my original post to have it fixed and change due to the need of the GPU for the game.

More about : gtx 680 crashes unplayable framerates randomly

a c 254 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 3:14:00 AM

I would contact Evga tech support to see what is up with the card because if it is defective no amount of forum help can fix it. Brand new components can be defective out of the box and that's just a fact.
Have you noticed any unusual temps and is the cards fan running properly? Is your psu of good quality and power? It would help to list all of the components in your computer.
Score
April 7, 2012 3:18:15 AM

inzone said:
I would contact Evga tech support to see what is up with the card because if it is defective no amount of forum help can fix it. Brand new components can be defective out of the box and that's just a fact.
Have you noticed any unusual temps and is the cards fan running properly? Is your psu of good quality and power? It would help to list all of the components in your computer.

The temperatures have not really been abnormal as they're been around the high 50's and low 60's when playing Skyrim at the "Ultra-High" preset with a large amount of graphical mods. And, here is my build.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.1GHz
CPU Cooler: Scythe SCMG-2100 74.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5\" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5\" Solid State Disk
Power Supply: CORSAIR HX750w
Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 24X DVD Reader/Writer
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 Mid Tower
Monitor: Samsung P2770FH 27.0\" Monitor
Monitor: Samsung P2770FH 27.0\" Monitor
Mouse: Logitech Darkfield
Keyboard: Das Ultimate Keyboard
Headset: Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Headset
Score
Related resources
a c 254 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 3:27:43 AM

You had a post previously where you were having trouble connecting the two monitors. How are the two connected?
Score
April 7, 2012 3:32:12 AM

inzone said:
You had a post previously where you were having trouble connecting the two monitors. How are the two connected?

Yes, I was able to fix this issue by having one connected from a DVI-I port of the monitor to the DVI-I port of the graphics card and have the other one connected from the DVI-I port on the monitor to the HDMI port on the monitor with a DVI-D to DVI-D cable converted to HDMI with the use of a small extension.
Score
a c 179 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 4:14:17 AM

Possible reasons:

1) Power Supply is not sufficient

2) RAM (run Memtest)

3) bad graphics card

4) driver/software issue

It's basic troubleshooting. You pretty much need to SWAP to test things. To test the Power Supply you'd need to swap in a different one. To test the graphics card you'd have to try in a different computer.

Other:
If you get stuck:
If you have a spare hard drive, you could:
a) unhook all hard drives except the spare
b) Install Windows
c) Install the main motherboard chipset driver and video drive
d) try a game
Score
April 7, 2012 4:25:55 AM

photonboy said:
Possible reasons:

1) Power Supply is not sufficient

2) RAM (run Memtest)

3) bad graphics card

4) driver/software issue

It's basic troubleshooting. You pretty much need to SWAP to test things. To test the Power Supply you'd need to swap in a different one. To test the graphics card you'd have to try in a different computer.

Other:
If you get stuck:
If you have a spare hard drive, you could:
a) unhook all hard drives except the spare
b) Install Windows
c) Install the main motherboard chipset driver and video drive
d) try a game

1) The power supply to be way more than sufficient as this was easily able to power 460 SLI, which way exceeds the power draw of a single 680, for over a year. So, I would easily rule this out.

2) Could you describe what could be the issue with the RAM?

3) I find this the most plausible reason for this issue. However, I'm not completely positive.

4) I find this as plausible as having a defective video card.
Score
April 7, 2012 2:26:43 PM

Hi dude!

Ihave the same problem like u do!

my specs:

i5 2500K
580W be quiet E8
4 GB RAM CL7 Kingston HyperX
Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
Palit GTX 680
Curical M4 SSD.

I expirience the same problem when I run Skyrim. The monitor gets black for a while and then when it turns back again, I have 25 fps constanly. one time the game crashed after the monitor got black! back at windows desktop I've got a message that there is a NVIDIA DRIVER PROBLEM!

I already tried reinstalling windows and the drivers.without success!

I think its a driver issue and ur GPU ist working alright like mine.

but i hope i get this problem fixed soon,

ps, battlefield 3 also crashes sometimes, but only back to the desktop, without getting low framerates..

mafia 2 is working perfectly!
Score
April 7, 2012 2:36:11 PM

pps, once i've tried the drivers from the Palit CD, I noticed that the monitor got black not that often like it did before before. but the problem wasn't fixed...
Score
April 7, 2012 2:45:17 PM

stasyan90 said:
Hi dude!

Ihave the same problem like u do!

my specs:

i5 2500K
580W be quiet E8
4 GB RAM CL7 Kingston HyperX
Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3
Palit GTX 680
Curical M4 SSD.

I expirience the same problem when I run Skyrim. The monitor gets black for a while and then when it turns back again, I have 25 fps constanly. one time the game crashed after the monitor got black! back at windows desktop I've got a message that there is a NVIDIA DRIVER PROBLEM!

I already tried reinstalling windows and the drivers.without success!

I think its a driver issue and ur GPU ist working alright like mine.

but i hope i get this problem fixed soon,

ps, battlefield 3 also crashes sometimes, but only back to the desktop, without getting low framerates..

mafia 2 is working perfectly!

I'm sorry to not post quickly, but thank you for posting! I'm glad to see that someone else is having this problem so that it'll be possibly brought to light to nVidia! And, I truly hope this is a driver issue and we don't just have defective cards.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 2:51:11 PM

Just RMA the Video Card... BTW, test other video card(if you have one) to see if it's anything else or just your 680... Do a furmark test to make sure it's not the 680... also make sure it has the 6+6/8 pin connected and fully clicked... if you got a modular PSU, plug both 6+6/8 to another connected and make sure it clicked..
Score
April 7, 2012 2:52:11 PM

maybe we just have to wait until new drivers are out! for now i know that the problem isn't the RAM or the PSU or the mainboard! and i don't think that it is a hardware issue either.two different system with the same hardware gpu failure´is very unlikly i think
Score
April 7, 2012 3:14:22 PM

u tried playing batllefield 3 with this card?
Score
a c 254 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 3:30:25 PM

You can try turning off AA and antroscopic filtering in Skyrim. There was someone who had a similar issue and it was resolved by turning those settings off.
Score
April 7, 2012 3:33:49 PM

not only skyrim is crashing
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 3:51:28 PM

I have a GTX 680 and been playing a lot of Skyrim (patch 1.4) and Crysis 2 lately, and I have not experienced these issues. I'm not sure it is a wide spread driver issue unless it's specific to something in your setup.

I do notice you have two monitors hooked up. I wonder if having both hooked up causes an issue.
Score
April 7, 2012 5:57:40 PM

bystander said:
I have a GTX 680 and been playing a lot of Skyrim (patch 1.4) and Crysis 2 lately, and I have not experienced these issues. I'm not sure it is a wide spread driver issue unless it's specific to something in your setup.

I do notice you have two monitors hooked up. I wonder if having both hooked up causes an issue.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you think two monitors could be causing the problems?
Score
April 7, 2012 5:58:59 PM

inzone said:
You can try turning off AA and antroscopic filtering in Skyrim. There was someone who had a similar issue and it was resolved by turning those settings off.

While I've heard of that working, I'd like to actually find out what the issue is with the card instead of just altering it so it doesn't happen (so if it's a bad card, I'd rather get a new one while I can). And as stasyan90 has said, it is not only Skyrim that is crashing/dropping framerates.
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 6:01:18 PM

crux315 said:
If you don't mind me asking, why do you think two monitors could be causing the problems?

I don't know the internal workings of the cards. I do know with Radeon's, they always alter the clocks during idle settings when there are 2 monitors hooked up.

I was just letting you know that this problem isn't occurring to everyone and the only major difference between our setups is the monitor situation. It might be worth testing with only one hooked up.
Score
April 7, 2012 6:07:49 PM

bystander said:
I don't know the internal workings of the cards. I do know with Radeon's, they always alter the clocks during idle settings when there are 2 monitors hooked up.

I was just letting you know that this problem isn't occurring to everyone and the only major difference between our setups is the monitor situation. It might be worth testing with only one hooked up.

Sorry for this stupid question but, by one monitor, do you mean only have one monitor plugged in (does it matter which port?) and then start up a fullscreen game like Skyrim?
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 6:42:46 PM

crux315 said:
Sorry for this stupid question but, by one monitor, do you mean only have one monitor plugged in (does it matter which port?) and then start up a fullscreen game like Skyrim?

Yes, I meant a single monitor plugged in. Just plugging in a 2nd monitor may change timings a little bit.
Score
April 8, 2012 2:02:48 PM

bystander said:
Yes, I meant a single monitor plugged in. Just plugging in a 2nd monitor may change timings a little bit.

Ok, so after a while of just playing with both monitors in, I actually got an error where it said that the driver stopped responding and Skyrim crashed. Could this mean that it is a driver issue and not a card issue?
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 8, 2012 3:37:04 PM

Often times when the driver stops responding and restarts, which is what I had figured was happening, it is a result of not enough power (PSU problem) or overheating. Of course those are just the 2 most common, they aren't the only reasons.
Score
a c 254 U Graphics card
April 8, 2012 5:38:45 PM

crux315 said:
Yes, I was able to fix this issue by having one connected from a DVI-I port of the monitor to the DVI-I port of the graphics card and have the other one connected from the DVI-I port on the monitor to the HDMI port on the monitor with a DVI-D to DVI-D cable converted to HDMI with the use of a small extension.

I'm thinking that your connections is what's causing the issue and the dvi-i and dvi-d are at the center of the issue. I would use the dvi-d to dvi-d or dvi-i to dvi-i to test the games and not the converters. The video card has two dvi ports and you have two monitors so it might be a good idea to leave out the HDMI port in testing.
What does the monitor have dvi-d or dvi-i?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
Score
April 8, 2012 6:13:31 PM

@crux315 i'm using only one monitor? did u figured out something new about our problem?
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 8, 2012 6:40:56 PM

You guys might have different problems, even though you have similar symptoms.
Score
April 8, 2012 7:06:46 PM

bystander said:
You guys might have different problems, even though you have similar symptoms.

so what do suggest?
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 8, 2012 7:10:59 PM

I'd try it in another system that also has a PSU that can support it. See if that other system has issues. If the problem travels, there is a good chance the GPU is defective or needs a BIOS update.

You might have done this already, but make sure to get the drivers from Nvidia's website, not from the disk that came with the card.
Score
April 8, 2012 11:24:35 PM

where can i download a bios update for my geforce 680`?
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 8, 2012 11:27:19 PM

Did you happen to try it in another system with a powerful enough PSU and still have a crash? Don't go down the BIOS update until then, you can brick a card if you mess up. Save that one until all else fails. You'd also have to search the manufacturer's website to see if they even have an update (MSI,EVGA, ASUS, not Nvidia).
Score
April 8, 2012 11:34:00 PM

inzone said:
I'm thinking that your connections is what's causing the issue and the dvi-i and dvi-d are at the center of the issue. I would use the dvi-d to dvi-d or dvi-i to dvi-i to test the games and not the converters. The video card has two dvi ports and you have two monitors so it might be a good idea to leave out the HDMI port in testing.
What does the monitor have dvi-d or dvi-i?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

The monitors, which are the same, have a DVI-I port on them. The card has one DVI-I port, one DVI-D port, one DisplayPort, and one HDMI. And, using one of the ports on the card, which is DVI-D, from a DVI-I does not work as it's trying to send a digital signal, from an analog port, to a digital port. This fixes it and allows me to use both monitors as HDMI had been ******* up with odd resolutions (larger than my monitor was) and distorted colors. I'm going to try one monitor soon.
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 8, 2012 11:36:21 PM

crux315 said:
The monitors, which are the same, have a DVI-I port on them. The card has one DVI-I port, one DVI-D port, one DisplayPort, and one HDMI. And, using one of the ports on the card, which is DVI-D, from a DVI-I does not work as it's trying to send a digital signal, from an analog port, to a digital port. This fixes it and allows me to use both monitors as HDMI had been ******* up with odd resolutions (larger than my monitor was) and distorted colors. I'm going to try one monitor soon.

DVI-I is not limited to analog. DVI-I works with digital as well.
Score
April 9, 2012 3:11:34 AM

bystander said:

Evidently, it does not since my card wouldn't display anything on the second monitor, although the computer was detecting it, and it only worked when I used the HDMI converter.
Score
April 9, 2012 3:22:23 AM

bystander said:

Heh... you know how I said that it doesn't work? Yeah... well... you were right... it does work.
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 3:54:38 AM

Did that solve your other problems?
Score
April 9, 2012 4:09:15 AM

bystander said:
Did that solve your other problems?

No no, it didn't fix anything, but at least I can give the converter back to my friend...
Score
April 9, 2012 6:51:23 PM

I have an EVGA 680, with no problems two monitors, two differnt resolutions, ones digital ones VGA to dvi. I have no issues, And I have been playing crysis2 with the high res pack and dx11 pack on. SWTOR FXAA 16xAA enabled for 5 to 6 hours at 111 FPS with no issues. I dont know, I wouldnt even mess with it send it back, not worth screwing with.
Score
April 9, 2012 6:56:58 PM

MANOFKRYPTONAK said:
I have an EVGA 680, with no problems two monitors, two differnt resolutions, ones digital ones VGA to dvi. I have no issues, And I have been playing crysis2 with the high res pack and dx11 pack on. SWTOR FXAA 16xAA enabled for 5 to 6 hours at 111 FPS with no issues. I dont know, I wouldnt even mess with it send it back, not worth screwing with.

I'm finding this to be more and more appealing as I'm really unable to find any issues with what I'm doing now that I have the cable connections fixed.
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 7:02:06 PM

I say do it. Though if you haven't already, I would try it in another system first.
Score
April 9, 2012 7:06:54 PM

bystander said:
I say do it. Though if you haven't already, I would try it in another system first.

I bought the card from TigerDirect -- do you think there is anyway to flat out return it for my money back and then purchase some other companies non-reference card like MSI's or Gigabyte's cards?
Score
a c 129 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 7:28:13 PM

crux315 said:
I bought the card from TigerDirect -- do you think there is anyway to flat out return it for my money back and then purchase some other companies non-reference card like MSI's or Gigabyte's cards?

Fortunately for me, the 680s I got from TigerDirect are functioning just fine, but one thing that made me apprehensive about buying from them from TigerDirect was the fact that they stated clearly they want nothing to do with a return and if you have an issue with the product, you need to contact EVGA. The exact verbage was in the product description and with the invoice:

IMPORTANT:This item is exclusively supported by the manufacturer and cannot be returned due to manufacturer restrictions. Please contact EVGA at 888-881-3842

The fortunate part is from what I've heard EVGA provides good customer service.

This seemed to be TigerDirect's policy for all their 680s though (I originally had PNY cards on backorder that had the same policy - deal with the manufacturer).

From what you've described, I'd definitely call EVGA and get an RMA process started.
Score
April 9, 2012 7:32:45 PM

ubercake said:
Fortunately for me, the 680s I got from TigerDirect are functioning just fine, but one thing that made me apprehensive about buying from them from TigerDirect was the fact that they stated clearly they want nothing to do with a return and if you have an issue with the product, you need to contact EVGA. The exact verbage was in the product description and with the invoice:

IMPORTANT:This item is exclusively supported by the manufacturer and cannot be returned due to manufacturer restrictions. Please contact EVGA at 888-881-3842

The fortunate part is from what I've heard EVGA provides good customer service.

This seemed to be TigerDirect's policy for all their 680s though (I originally had PNY cards on backorder that had the same policy - deal with the manufacturer).

From what you've described, I'd definitely call EVGA and get an RMA process started.

If you could cater to my questions, that'd be great since I've never RMA'd anything.

In the process for RMA, what is it I do to begin? Do I go to the EVGA website and contact them through there, or do I have to call them and speak to them about RMA'ing it? And, does my card need to be registered on the EVGA website to be RMA'd?
Score
a c 129 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 7:40:03 PM

You could start by calling the number TigerDirect tells you to contact EVGA at above. Explain the situation and they'll let you know if you have to register anything on the web site.
Score
April 9, 2012 8:01:14 PM

ubercake said:
You could start by calling the number TigerDirect tells you to contact EVGA at above. Explain the situation and they'll let you know if you have to register anything on the web site.

So apparently, there are new drivers. I'm going to test these ones, although they're still in beta, and see if the issues are fixed. He also mentioned that my overclock could be part of the problem.
Score
April 9, 2012 11:27:12 PM

ubercake said:

I think I figured out that the issue was that my overclock was way over what it should of been...
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 11:38:49 PM

What was your overclock at?
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 11:40:28 PM

One thing that can be confusing is if you use MSI Afterburner at least, it'll show you the wrong clocks. You have to download the latest Beta version of afterburner, then you adjust clocks by + and - values, rather than a set clock.
Score
April 10, 2012 12:17:16 AM

bystander said:
What was your overclock at?

I was using EVGA Precision X, the tool the comes with the GTX 680.

And, my clocks were at 175+ core clock offset and 525+ memory clock offset with a 132% power offset. Evidently, this is too high as the crashes are less frequent, or even non existent (for the time that I've been testing it.)
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 12:22:17 AM

Yes, that is pretty high. I found +175 was borderline on mine. It flickered a bit when running Unigine Heaven. +500 memory may also be a questionable decision. In more recent hd 6000 cards, people have found that heavy overclocks on memory may have worked, but DDR5 memory will degrade a lot faster than previous memory types. I have been using a lot more modest OC at +140 and +200 memory. It can go higher, but I'd rather not push things.
Score
April 10, 2012 12:29:39 AM

bystander said:
Yes, that is pretty high. I found +175 was borderline on mine. It flickered a bit when running Unigine Heaven. +500 memory may also be a questionable decision. In more recent hd 6000 cards, people have found that heavy overclocks on memory may have worked, but DDR5 memory will degrade a lot faster than previous memory types. I have been using a lot more modest OC at +140 and +200 memory. It can go higher, but I'd rather not push things.

I've recently set it to +150 core clock offset and around +500 memory clock offset. I plan to run Heaven and 3dMark Vantage after I'm done watching South Park. I'm also a bit confused on what the power offset should be -- in LinusTechTip's videos about overclocking this card, he just put it at max as he said it made it "more stable" with a larger power offset.
Score
!