Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking a graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2012 2:55:46 AM

So I'm building my first computer ever, and with so many different graphics cards on the market i'm having a hard time deciding on one. Currently i've been looking at the Radeon HD 7850, However I'm in no hurry to build and have been waiting for the rest of kepler to arrive to see how they compare. However today Newegg is having their super Easter sale, and they have the Radeon HD 6870 for $140. So my question is would it be better to get two of those and crossfire them or go for a single better card. My budget for gpu is anywhere from 250-300$ I know the performance would be better with the crossfire, but i'm worried about all the driver issues that go along with it. I have already purchased a 650 watt psu http://bit.ly/Hp50EJ and i intend to get a 2500k cpu or ivy bridge equivalent.

Thanks in advance!

More about : picking graphics card

a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 3:15:13 AM

I believe that you'll have better longevity with a GPU that has more than 1GB of VRAM, so stay with the 7850 or wait for more Kepler cards.
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 3:19:22 AM

There is no reason to rush into a purchase especialy if you have the time.Newegg is always going to have sales and rebates. It's only going to get better as more of the Kepler line is released and AMD gets in panic mode when it sees the low prices and they have to lower their's. In that case you will benefit from that situation and get a really good card or cards.
m
l
!