Benefit of an APU

Solution
IMO APU are pointless at the moment. APU's offer nothing more than onboard graphics, they just moved the chip from the motherboard, to the CPU. For every day use there is no need for the better integrated graphics of the APU. You would be better off with the faster more powerful Pentium G or I3. The integrated graphics are good enough for fooling around on the internet and watching Youtube video's not to mention clock for clock the Pentium G and I3 are faster. As for gaming I see no point n getting an APU. Yes the APU's integrated graphics are better than Intel but it's still integrated graphics. The fact is you would be better off getting a Phenom II 955 or 965 BE and a discrete video card. IMO its a waste of money buying a CPU with...
Better integrated graphics than most of Intel's offerings (HD4000 come close to some of the mid level APU's though).

If you can't afford to or just don't want to use a dedicated GPU, but you still want to play games, an APU is the best way to go. The CPU portion isn't as strong as anything Intel offers, but the IGP makes up for it, to an extent.

If you don't care about gaming, anything with integrated graphics will do.

IMO APU are pointless at the moment. APU's offer nothing more than onboard graphics, they just moved the chip from the motherboard, to the CPU. For every day use there is no need for the better integrated graphics of the APU. You would be better off with the faster more powerful Pentium G or I3. The integrated graphics are good enough for fooling around on the internet and watching Youtube video's not to mention clock for clock the Pentium G and I3 are faster. As for gaming I see no point n getting an APU. Yes the APU's integrated graphics are better than Intel but it's still integrated graphics. The fact is you would be better off getting a Phenom II 955 or 965 BE and a discrete video card. IMO its a waste of money buying a CPU with integrated GPU when you will most likely have a dedicated GPU. The only time I can see an APU being worth it is for a home theatre PC. Other than that I see no point in getting an APU.

Solution
APU is just an AMD CPU with an integrated graphic core. Same concept as what Intel offers, however Intel still calls 'em CPUs.

AMD APUs have less CPU processing power than AMD CPUs (Phenom II / FX) which in turn has less processing power than Intel's Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs.

The top end AMD Trinity APU's graphic core is faster than the Intel HD 4000 graphic core found in Ivy Bridge generation CPUs.However, the Intel HD 4000 can compete against the mid range Trinity graphic cores. By default the integrated graphics in Trinity and Ivy Bridge are better than what the Phenom II and FX have which is nothing.

TRENDING THREADS