Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Minimum Power Supply 2x GeForce GT 520

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 7, 2012 3:42:02 AM

Hey. I just purchased 2 Evga GeForce GT 520 Video cards. Could I run 2 of these cards off of a 300W Power Supply?
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 4:26:04 AM

It's possible, but not recommended.

300watt is the minimum recommended by eVGA for a single card. I'd recommend at least 350-400watts to run 2 and be safe.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 4:32:43 AM

It is possible.

Why would you need 2x 520's anyway? For whatever intents and purposes, getting something like a HD6570 would have served you better.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 7, 2012 4:34:59 AM

Zero_ said:
It is possible.

Why would you need 2x 520's anyway? For whatever intents and purposes, getting something like a HD6570 would have served you better.


I'm using 2 so I can run 4 monitors. on DVI.
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 4:42:46 AM

You could try it but i wouldnt also what is the rest of your system components.
It also depends on if its a quality 300 watt supply or a cheapo that probably isnt really 300 watts.
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 4:43:18 AM

I must be missing something here. How can a computer with a 300 watt PSU also have a mobo that is capable of SLI?
Assuming you could SLI 2 GT 520's then that will be ~ 60 watts and I wouldn't try it. jmo
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 5:09:57 AM

It doesnt matter if they are to be slied or not the still will require more power than you have available This is from evgas site
Minimum of a 300 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps.)
And thats for 1
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 2:57:31 PM

GT520 doesn't support SLI, so that's not an option.

Allied produces entry-level power supplies. Not something you'd want to attempt SLI with. Since you'd only be using the primary 12v rail, which is only rated for 13A max, it wouldn't be recommended to use that particular PSU to power even 1 GT520 as it doesn't supply adequate amperage according to the card's manufacturer.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2012 2:07:16 AM

Delta is another cheap OEM brand....they're on par with Allied, but still garbage.

Antec, Seasonic, FSP, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone.....those are the brands to look at. The power supply is the absolute worst component to cheap out on. If a cheap power supply fails, you risk losing every component in your computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $45USD
that's the lowest PSU I would recommend. It's rated for 30A on the single 12v rail
m
0
l
April 8, 2012 2:23:14 AM

sykozis said:
Delta is another cheap OEM brand....they're on par with Allied, but still garbage.

Antec, Seasonic, FSP, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone.....those are the brands to look at. The power supply is the absolute worst component to cheap out on. If a cheap power supply fails, you risk losing every component in your computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $45USD
that's the lowest PSU I would recommend. It's rated for 30A on the single 12v rail


I know it's bad the cheap out on, that's why I have an AX1200. This is for a computer I'm building, and I don't have $40 to spend on a PSU.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2012 5:08:02 AM

Then I'd assume you don't have the money to replace any parts that get damaged when the Allied or Delta PSU fails either....
m
0
l
April 8, 2012 6:09:11 AM

sykozis said:
Then I'd assume you don't have the money to replace any parts that get damaged when the Allied or Delta PSU fails either....


No need to get sassy. In order to keep the price low in the computer I sell, I can't spend $40 on a PSU. I'm looking for some options less than $25.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 8, 2012 8:19:58 PM

alexthager said:
What about a Delta 350W Power Supply or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm looking for the cheapest way to run 2 GT520's.

GT520 has a max power rating of 29 watts and requires a 300 watt minimum psu
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

GT220 has a max power rating of 58 watts and requires a 300 watt minimum psu
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

I'm pretty sure you could run a pair of 520's ( 29 x 2 = 58, go figure ) on a 300 watt psu if you really wanted to.

A Delta 350 is a far cry from and Allied or Logysis pos
m
0
l
April 8, 2012 9:46:52 PM

delluser1 said:
GT520 has a max power rating of 29 watts and requires a 300 watt minimum psu
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

GT220 has a max power rating of 58 watts and requires a 300 watt minimum psu
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

I'm pretty sure you could run a pair of 520's ( 29 x 2 = 58, go figure ) on a 300 watt psu if you really wanted to.

A Delta 350 is a far cry from and Allied or Logysis pos


Alright, that really helped, can anyone back that up?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 12:10:12 AM

Wattage makes very little difference. If the power supply can't produce enough amperage, damage WILL occur. To the PSU, as well as any components being starved.
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 1:13:24 AM

sykozis said:
Wattage makes very little difference. If the power supply can't produce enough amperage, damage WILL occur. To the PSU, as well as any components being starved.


With that said, which would be better the 350W Delta or 480W Logisys?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 3:51:35 AM

alexthager said:
With that said, which would be better the 350W Delta or 480W Logisys?


The Logisys only produces 16amps and 192watts on the 12v rail. It doesn't even meet current PSU standards. With Delta, you'd have to use a server power supply to find one that produces enough amperage. Since you're not using a PCIe Aux power connector, you'll only be using a single 12v rail. None of Delta's consumer units produce the necessary amperage across a single rail to safely power even 1 card. They're a cheap OEM.....

You need a power supply that produces at minimum 18amps on a single 12v rail to adequately power 1 GT520. You'd need at least 24amps on a single 12v rail to safely power 2 GT520's. I understand you want cheap....but the components don't care about price when they're being underpowered and experiencing surges and unsafe power ripples due to low-quality (no-quality) power supplies.
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 4:52:19 AM

sykozis said:
The Logisys only produces 16amps and 192watts on the 12v rail. It doesn't even meet current PSU standards. With Delta, you'd have to use a server power supply to find one that produces enough amperage. Since you're not using a PCIe Aux power connector, you'll only be using a single 12v rail. None of Delta's consumer units produce the necessary amperage across a single rail to safely power even 1 card. They're a cheap OEM.....

You need a power supply that produces at minimum 18amps on a single 12v rail to adequately power 1 GT520. You'd need at least 24amps on a single 12v rail to safely power 2 GT520's. I understand you want cheap....but the components don't care about price when they're being underpowered and experiencing surges and unsafe power ripples due to low-quality (no-quality) power supplies.


Thanks for the detailed answer. That makes sense. For the lowest price possible, what power supply would you choose, even if it isn't a huge brand. This computer is going to be powering a AMD Llano 2.6GHz Quad-Core APU, a 90GB SSD, and 1TB HDD. Be serious here though, no Antec or Corsair. Something cheap, but enough to get the job done.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 76 ) Power supply
April 9, 2012 6:02:49 AM



No, because of the 16A on the 12V rail. The Antec that sykozis recommended is perfect. Whatever brand you decide to go with (while it's important to get a quality unit), is basically irrelevant for this build as long as there are enough amps on the 12V rail. ~30A should be what you're aiming for.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2012 11:13:47 PM


That's the same unit you linked last time. It's not compliant with any of the recent power specs. It's an outdated single-rail unit designed for older ATX12V systems. It's non-ACPI compliant. You need to find a unit that's at least ACPI 2.0 compliant with a single 12v rail rated for at minimum 24amps.


This is the cheapest (both price and quality) unit that produces enough amperage....but don't blame me if a mushroom cloud appears at power-on: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These are 2 considerably better units:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 3:43:33 AM

The PSU produces 27amps total across 2 rails, of which you'll only be using 1, rated for 18amp..... It will work just fine for 1 card, but will be overdrawn trying to run 2 cards.
m
0
l
April 11, 2012 4:55:52 AM

sykozis said:
The PSU produces 27amps total across 2 rails, of which you'll only be using 1, rated for 18amp..... It will work just fine for 1 card, but will be overdrawn trying to run 2 cards.


Alright, would it be able to run a 6790 or 6850?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 4:52:49 PM

alexthager said:
Alright, would it be able to run a 6790 or 6850?


yes, it should.
Share
April 12, 2012 5:07:32 AM

Best answer selected by alexthager.
m
0
l
!