Sign in with
Your question

When is an i7 laptop better?

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2012 2:31:39 AM

I am looking to upgrade both my laptop and desktop. I currently have Core 2 Duo 1.8 MHz. I am confused about whether it would be worthwhile to look at i7 vice i5 processors and whether I need a graphics card. What types of software really take advantage of an i7 over an i5? My most intensive programs are probably Arkham City and Sony camcorder video processing. Do you think I would need the graphics card?

More about : laptop

a c 141 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 2:43:53 AM

Homeuser_15 said:
I am looking to upgrade both my laptop and desktop. I currently have Core 2 Duo 1.8 MHz. I am confused about whether it would be worthwhile to look at i7 vice i5 processors and whether I need a graphics card. What types of software really take advantage of an i7 over an i5? My most intensive programs are probably Arkham City and Sony camcorder video processing. Do you think I would need the graphics card?

You have a bunch of questions going on here.

Laptop vs Desktop CPU

The main difference is that laptop CPU are slightly downclocked from thier desktop counterparts and they have a lower TDP. The laptop I3's are dual core with hyper threading. The mobile I5's are dual core and has hyper threading. The I7's are dual core or quad core (desiginated with a QM in the name) with hyper threading. The I5 desktop is quad core with no hyper threading and the I7 is quad core with hyper threading.
a c 448 à CPUs
a c 406 D Laptop
a c 355 U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 2:48:18 AM

The primary difference between mobile i5 and i7 is that all Core i5 are dual core CPUs while only the Core i7 CPUs with the "QM" designation are quad cores, the rest of the Core i7 would be duo core. Core i7 also have more cache memory which does nothing for games, but can help slightly improve video processing performance. A quad core CPU can make a big difference in the amount of time to encode video assuming the video codec and the encoding program can make use of 4 cores.

For Arkham City you want a dedicated graphics card. Which one depends on how much you want to spend, what will be the resolution of the laptop's screen is and how high your expectations are.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 3:03:06 AM

jaguarskx said:
Core i7 also have more cache memory which does nothing for games, but can help slightly improve video processing performance.

I think u may have gotten it wrong there, more cache makes a BIG difference in games.

Not sure about video encoding, but i think cache doesn't matter as athlon x4's used to hang in there with the phenoms when it came to video encoding.

Read this, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,241... :) 
a c 141 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 3:15:11 AM

No it really doesn't. It's been known for awhile that in a comparison between an I5 and an I7 the I7 has hyper threading and more cache BUT you are paying an extra 100 dollars for two things that games don't even make use of. Thats why people say to get an I5 over an I7 when the main purpose is gaming.
October 3, 2012 3:16:37 AM

The i7 has hyperthreading. Useless in many games that just started on quad-core support (or even dual-core), but I'm not sure if the Sony camcorder video software supports more than four threads. The extra cache and/or clock rate doesn't make up for the usually higher price of an i7.

Intel's IGP is crap for gaming. Minimal resolution and low details, maybe, but that's pushing it even for an i7. Get a dedicated GPU for the laptop or use AMD's Trinity processor.
a c 141 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 3:27:34 AM

A Bad Day said:
The i7 has hyperthreading. Useless in many games that just started on quad-core support (or even dual-core), but I'm not sure if the Sony camcorder video software supports more than four threads. The extra cache and/or clock rate doesn't make up for the usually higher price of an i7.

Intel's IGP is crap for gaming. Minimal resolution and low details, maybe, but that's pushing it even for an i7. Get a dedicated GPU for the laptop or use AMD's Trinity processor.

Yes stock Intel Integrated graphics vs stock AMD integrated graphics. However he asked about a video chip and like Jag said it would depend on how much he wanted to spend. If he wanted to get an I7 with a 650M, 670/675M or 680M it would stomp the APU easily. If it were me I would get the I7 with a dedicated graphics chip. That would cover both fields with more than enough power.
a c 448 à CPUs
a c 406 D Laptop
a c 355 U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 8:16:48 AM

$hawn said:
I think u may have gotten it wrong there, more cache makes a BIG difference in games.

Not sure about video encoding, but i think cache doesn't matter as athlon x4's used to hang in there with the phenoms when it came to video encoding.

Read this, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,241... :) 

More cache makes a difference in video encoding performance with regards to Intel CPUs. I chose the Q9450 over the Q9400 due to the extra cache in which benchmarks have shown there was a decent increase in performance (around 5% - 7%), also I recall that the extra cache made no difference when it came to gaming. Perhaps extra cache does help AMD CPUs in games, but not with Intel CPUs... unless that somehow changed with the Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs.
October 5, 2012 1:17:10 AM

rds1220 said:
Yes stock Intel Integrated graphics vs stock AMD integrated graphics. However he asked about a video chip and like Jag said it would depend on how much he wanted to spend. If he wanted to get an I7 with a 650M, 670/675M or 680M it would stomp the APU easily. If it were me I would get the I7 with a dedicated graphics chip. That would cover both fields with more than enough power.

Just to be clear: When you say to get the i7 with a "dedicated graphics chip", do you mean a separate graphics card, or is there an i7 motherboard that has an additional built-in dedicated graphics chip? I assume the former.
a c 141 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 1:53:47 AM

I'm talking about a prebuilt OEM laptop with a built in dedicated graphics card like a GTX 680M, GTX 675M and 670M.

!