Sign in with
Your question

Computer only boots every other time.

Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2012 6:20:41 PM

Hey guys,

Just built a new gaming rig around an Asus z77 sabertooth on Thursday.

Used it all weekend with no hiccups except I had to replace a faulty HSF fan.

This morning I tried to turn it on and I got post beep then it just sat on the mobo splash screen and wouldnt let me into BIOS.

Of course, I said "OH NO!" and reset and then it booted up fine. So I reset AGAIN after Windows booted up normally and it did the exact same thing. Post beep and just stays at the Mobo splash screen. And repeat the same cycle.

So my computer only boots every other time. And when it boots it boots completely normally.

Here's the build.

Cooler Master HAF advanced 932 full ATX case

Asus z77 sabertooth Mobo

EVGA GTX 570

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Any suggestions guys?

More about : computer boots time

June 5, 2012 7:08:06 PM

I reset RTC ram and flashed a different BIOS. Still having the same issue. Please guys I need help.

Thanks in advance.
m
l
June 5, 2012 8:54:35 PM

Fixed the problem. My Mobo's red error light came on beside my SATA ports.

So apparently you cant plug in a HDD and optical drive into a 3gbps SATA port with a 6gbps cable. I plugged them into the 6gbps port and everything is running smoothly now.

I'll report back if it starts acting up again.

Any reason I didnt get any replies though? Did I do something wrong?
m
l
Related resources
June 6, 2012 1:08:08 AM

Yeah its acting up again. Anyone got any suggestions on what is going on with it? My motherboards boot_device_led post state light is lit up when it doesn't boot.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2012 2:30:43 AM

check your cables that your in the right 6g ports the intell ones will post your hard drive and cd-rom the asmidia one are made for data drives only. (the gray ones). I would if your getting a red light on boot device. i would unplug the cd-rom data cable first and see if it changes. if not plug the cd-rom drive in and make a boot cd and then unplug the hard drive. if the error stops then it looks like your hard drive controllers may be bad. i would check on seagate sight if there any firmware update for the drive. a 6g or 3g cable not going to change how a sata device works. a 6g port will run in 2. or 1x mode. if an older device is plugged in. i would also check that the bios is still set to achi mode. also check that you have your video card as the first video device and the intel video chipset turned off. also check that the ram speed is set right. i would also run seatools and see if the smart info has logged any errors.
m
l
!