Occasional ATI 6870 1GB Error

ravicles

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Ive been getting this quite a bit, usually i have to reboot PC so it goes away for a few hours, i have the latest drivers as well.

PowerColor ATI 6870 1GB

The image i posted isnt right, but the screen kinda cuts 1/4 of the size, so the far left of the screen is now on the far right, some blur etc.

ravicles

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
The image i took when the screen got messed up showed it as a normal screen.

Basically a bit of the left of the screen appears on the far right, and to get there i have to move the mouse left to go to the right.

It tends to happen during youtube videos, and when i go into Battlefield 3.

My specs are.

Q6600 quad
gigabyte mobo
4gb ddr2 800 ram
750W Thermaltake coolermaster
ati 6870 1gb

Yes i know the ram/mobo/cpu all suck, which ill change when i can.

DM186

Splendid
Some times the updated drivers won't work right. You might try using a driver swepper clean out all of the old drivers then find the driver that you know worked and reinstall it.

Also have you tried to do a system restore? Some times that will work to put your system back to the time it was working. You can hit the F8 key during boot to bring up a tool screen that gives you options.

Maybe that will help. You could try taking out your cards and hook up to the onboard GPU and see if you get the same problem. Plus you can try your card on someone's rig a friend maybe?

Try some of those things and let me know if anything changed. Hope fully we will get you going.

ravicles

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I got the card it was stuffed, sent it back got another, had a 4870 b4 that, and it died, my brother reinstalled windows to 64bit, and its all hooked up good, used drivers from install disc, didnt work well, updated to latest drivers. Usually happens while a screen is open with youtube, then when i close it it seems to be fine.

DM186

Splendid
Yeah that shouldn't happen at anytime no matter what. In your CCC you have a thing called uber try turning it off. While in there look at your cards res and make sure that your card matchs the monitor.

Now you have a new card and it still does the same thing in youtube how about your BF3? Also could you post your spec's including your PSU and brand and how many watts it is.

ravicles

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I couldnt find the thing called uber, i turned some dvi check box off to see if that helps.

My specs.
Q6600 quad
gigabyte mobo
4gb ddr2 800 ram
750W Antec Thermaltake
ati 6870 1gb

(Just purchased 8gb dd3 ram) but i need a new mobo to fit them.

ravicles

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Here is some photos of what happens when i watch youtube vids most of the time.

photo0493.jpg

photo0492.jpg

DM186

Splendid
Do you have in your CCC a place where you set how your screen is either on two monitors or one and is it in land scape? It looks like it is set for two monitors. But I don't know for sure.

I don't have knowledge of the CCC because I have never owned a AMD card. But I will bet your problem stems from in the CCC or maybe someone else on here would know what is wrong.

Sorry not much help I hope you get it figured out and Good luck to you.

ferny111

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
+1 ^ It seemed to do in the monitor menu itself. See if you can use the auto correct function. Does it ONLY occur with youtube videos, or does it include videos in general or even gaming etc.?

ravicles

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Mostly happens in Youtube, screen will flicker a bit, then it splits, then the splits change width and all that, happens in BF3 sometimes, usually a computer restart is in order b4 i play BF3.

DM186

Splendid
Have you taken the card out and hooked back up to your on board GPU? then got to youtube and see if the problem is gone. You will have to take out your GPU before you can use the on board GPU.

If you still have the problem then it is something else not your GPU. If it is cleared up then we are looking at the GPU having a problem. At least this way of a test will help narrow it down.

I remember clear back in sept of 2011 someone else had this problem but for the life of me you think I can remember. I will see if I can't find that thread and if I do I will repost a link to it.

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I would argue that it is probably not an issue with being set to dual monitors because if it were, the screens would be reversed. The start menu thats normally on the bottom left is on the right center bottom (if that works). also, did you ever run 2 monitors?

ferny111

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Well, most displays and TVs are split into three sections, I've seen this happen on a television before oddly enough. I would recommend what DM186 suggested and try to run your onboard GPU and see if it occurs. If it doesn't, possibly a faulty GPU and call up customer service and see what happens from there. If it occurs with the onboard, it could be one of two things; the monitor itself or the monitor cable. Also, have you tried running movies in full screen? If not, grab any dvd you have and run it full screen and see what happens.

DM186

Splendid

Just to make sure. On the back of your PC where your usb connectors are do you see something that looks like what is on the graphic card that you connect to? If yes then follow what I suggested above.

If no then try pulling out your graphic card and reinstall it. If it came with a CD then rerun it like it was the first time. While running it you should get choice of install or repair. Click on repair.

If that doesn't work then use the uninstall program that is with it, then reninstall it using the install instead of repair. If that fails then I would RMA it again. All the people I have talked with say it is the card.

ravicles

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Still getting these errors, sometimes while ingame or youtube before it happens the screen will get some flickering lines (black and white) (Hard to see also).

And i get AVG warnings saying firefox/chrome is using 300mb of memory...

DM186

Splendid
Ok that sucks. What I would like you to do is run a stress test on your GPU. Also run a memory test on your RAM. If you know anybody you could test your GPU in another rig or you can test another card in your rig.

We need to start eliminating the hardwear to get to what is causing this problem. You also need to check your temps even though you say they are not high but get a second opinion.

I am going to link you to the programs. At the end of the links are some troubleshooting to help maybe to run down something I don't know for sure but read it anyway.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/Afterburner%20User%20Manual.pdf

http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/

http://www.memtest.org/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-troubleshooting

soldier1357

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I am currently having this exact same issue, different card works fine, had my 6870 for a good year id say, i'm pretty clued up on my computer hardware. From what id researched I first believed that the card is broken, the core is damaged etc, but this guy has sent back the card and had a new one back, how could the problem occur twice in a row? Not very likely. I've tried a clean windows install but it still does it.

DM186

Splendid

It sounds like they sent back the same card. Follow some of the advise from above like try the card in another PC to check it out. One more thing Tom's hardware does not like people bringing up old threads just to let you know. You can link to this thread but you should post it on the front page and you should get a lot of help. Anyway do that and take this question and start a new thread and link it to hear. Good luck to you.