Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire with Asus Crosshair IV Formula

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2012 10:12:17 AM

Hi all.

I've been trying to get my two AMD Radeon 6800s to work in crossfire mode, but when I look there are no options to enable it in CCC. I downloaded and installed the application profiles too but they don't seem to appear:

There doesn't appear to be any options in the BIOS to change any PCI-e settings except the spread spectrum, but whatever setting I choose doesn't make any difference.

I've downgraded from CCC 12.3 to 11.5 and still no option.

Removed one 6800 from the system, uninstalled all software/drivers, restarted Windows, then put card back in (with crossfire bridge of course) and still no option.

My motherboard is an Asus Crosshair IV Formula, and I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

I used GPU-Z to find out whether something was wrong, and here were the results:

As you can see, one says it is @ x1 2.0 and the other @ x4 2.0 - however as there doesn't seem to be any BIOS options I am not sure how to get them at both x4 2.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if you've got the same mobo and cards. Pease feel free to ask any questions :-)
April 7, 2012 10:22:35 AM

There should be a physical problem I think, not a driver problem.

Put them in the green circled PCI-E slots and make sure you put everything correctly, like the crossfire bridge cable and power cable.
April 7, 2012 10:34:12 AM

Hi refillable,

Thanks for your advice :-) Darn, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case - the crossfire bridge isn't long enough to reach from the first card to the second (if the second card was fitted in the third PCI-E slot).
Related resources
April 7, 2012 10:40:51 AM

I didn't realise you could get them, but I've ordered a 10cm crossfire bridge from eBay.

Will keep you posted :) 
April 7, 2012 10:42:26 AM

Yes, good try. Because that's the most optimal Crossfire configuration. After you tried that and it didn't work, maybe update BIOS.
April 7, 2012 2:45:52 PM

Hi refillable.

Excellent, your advise helped me - well it's untested but since moving the card to the third slot I now have this:

I'm sure that when I get the longer bridge, it will work.

So a great big thank you goes to you :bounce: 
April 7, 2012 3:29:07 PM

Your welcome, glad to help you my friend :) . I hope you can use crossfire after connecting the bridge, as said there in the Catalyst control center.
April 8, 2012 7:01:54 AM

the last 2 crosshaiv's I had,both came with the proper length cables for xfire.
August 31, 2012 4:30:09 PM

refillable said:
There should be a physical problem I think, not a driver problem.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4669/crosshairivformula.jpg

Put them in the green circled PCI-E slots and make sure you put everything correctly, like the crossfire bridge cable and power cable.

Had A similar problem had the cards in the exact same spots, then I put both cards on the top 2 red slots and it worked for me they do sit very close to each other.
!