Panasonic HDTV (1080i only) with X-Box 360

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

I have a Panasonic 47WX49 (CRT RPTV) that I bought a few years ago. It has
2 HD component inputs; however according to the documentation, they only
accept 480p or 1080i signals...not 720p.

Now when I used to have HD from Time Warner cable, I remember watching ABC
which was 720p. It didn't look as good as the 1080i channels, but it still
came in. I imagine I was able to see the picture because the cable box
outputted a 1080i signal, right?

So anyway, I was thinking about getting the Xbox 360, but it looks like most
of the games will be 720p, instead of 1080i. Does anyone know if the X-Box
360 will be outputting a 1080i signal regardless of the resolution of the
game, or will it output different signals based upon the source. If it
outputs a 720p signal, will my TV just show nothing...or will it convert it
to a resolution that my TV can display? And if that latter, will it
downconvert it to 480p, thus negating the whole benefit of having a HDTV to
begin with?

Dan
4 answers Last reply
More about panasonic hdtv 1080i only
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

    "Dan P." <n0spam@n0spam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Panasonic 47WX49 (CRT RPTV) that I bought a few years ago. It has
    >2 HD component inputs; however according to the documentation, they only
    >accept 480p or 1080i signals...not 720p.
    >
    > Now when I used to have HD from Time Warner cable, I remember watching ABC
    > which was 720p. It didn't look as good as the 1080i channels, but it
    > still came in. I imagine I was able to see the picture because the cable
    > box outputted a 1080i signal, right?
    >
    > So anyway, I was thinking about getting the Xbox 360, but it looks like
    > most of the games will be 720p, instead of 1080i. Does anyone know if the
    > X-Box 360 will be outputting a 1080i signal regardless of the resolution
    > of the game, or will it output different signals based upon the source.
    > If it outputs a 720p signal, will my TV just show nothing...or will it
    > convert it to a resolution that my TV can display? And if that latter,
    > will it downconvert it to 480p, thus negating the whole benefit of having
    > a HDTV to begin with?

    It depends on your HDTV. Some sets will upconvert or downconvert a 720p
    signal to handle it. Some sets will simply not accept 720p and display
    nothing. As far as the Xbox 360 goes, I don't think it has been confirmed
    if the system itself will support upconverting. Watch www.hdtvarcade.com
    for more info.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

    In article <d4nXe.21570$S26.21568@tornado.texas.rr.com>, hello@hello.com
    says...

    > "Dan P." <n0spam@n0spam.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Panasonic 47WX49 (CRT RPTV) that I bought a few years ago. It has
    > >2 HD component inputs; however according to the documentation, they only
    > >accept 480p or 1080i signals...not 720p.
    > >
    > > Now when I used to have HD from Time Warner cable, I remember watching ABC
    > > which was 720p. It didn't look as good as the 1080i channels, but it
    > > still came in. I imagine I was able to see the picture because the cable
    > > box outputted a 1080i signal, right?
    > >
    > > So anyway, I was thinking about getting the Xbox 360, but it looks like
    > > most of the games will be 720p, instead of 1080i. Does anyone know if the
    > > X-Box 360 will be outputting a 1080i signal regardless of the resolution
    > > of the game, or will it output different signals based upon the source.
    > > If it outputs a 720p signal, will my TV just show nothing...or will it
    > > convert it to a resolution that my TV can display? And if that latter,
    > > will it downconvert it to 480p, thus negating the whole benefit of having
    > > a HDTV to begin with?
    > >

    > It depends on your HDTV. Some sets will upconvert or downconvert a 720p
    > signal to handle it. Some sets will simply not accept 720p and display
    > nothing. As far as the Xbox 360 goes, I don't think it has been confirmed
    > if the system itself will support upconverting. Watch www.hdtvarcade.com
    > for more info.

    MS requires that all 360 games support 480i, 720p and 1080i so it
    shouldn't be an issue.

    --
    Rob Berryhill
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

    "Eric" wrote in message

    > switch from 480i/p to 1080i. I.e., I prefer Forza at 480p over 1080i as
    it
    > becomes jagged at 1080i.

    Er, sorry, thats not what I meant.
    (I'm aware that Forza isn't 1080i capable.)

    Let me re-try that one:

    I prefer playing Forza on my EDTV, which physically has only 480 lines, over
    my HDTV, which physically has 1080 lines.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

    Dan P. wrote:
    > I have a Panasonic 47WX49 (CRT RPTV) that I bought a few years ago. It has
    > 2 HD component inputs; however according to the documentation, they only
    > accept 480p or 1080i signals...not 720p.
    >
    > Now when I used to have HD from Time Warner cable, I remember watching ABC
    > which was 720p. It didn't look as good as the 1080i channels, but it still
    > came in. I imagine I was able to see the picture because the cable box
    > outputted a 1080i signal, right?
    >
    > So anyway, I was thinking about getting the Xbox 360, but it looks like most
    > of the games will be 720p, instead of 1080i. Does anyone know if the X-Box
    > 360 will be outputting a 1080i signal regardless of the resolution of the
    > game, or will it output different signals based upon the source. If it
    > outputs a 720p signal, will my TV just show nothing...or will it convert it
    > to a resolution that my TV can display? And if that latter, will it
    > downconvert it to 480p, thus negating the whole benefit of having a HDTV to
    > begin with?
    >

    > Dan

    720P is the standard. 1080i is downconverted to 540p then upconverted
    to 720P. Good reading: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000303057041/

    Quote:
    Dig even further and you discover that most modern sets convert 1080i to
    720p by first chopping the 1080i down to 540p and then scaling it back
    up. That’s right – less resolution than 720p shows

    1080i is actually inferior to 720p so dont spend too much time worrying
    about 1080i games. Focus on 720p

    Article will also explain how the future 1080P is overrated.

Console Gaming Panasonic Xbox Video Games