Not enough power to PSU?

gunnyfreak

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
So I got a bunch of parts from China and put it together in Canada. In my infinite ignorance, the PSU was from China as well.

So now the computer won't boot, no fans and all that. The only thing that is on is the LED on the Mobo

I suspect it's because the PSU isn't getting the voltage it needs (200v as opposed to the 120v provided). Does that sound about right? Would a PSU without enough power yield the result I'm getting? (no fan, no boot, only LED) Or did something else go wrong?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Looking at the specs yup that would be a major issue. It needs 200V-240V to run. If this was a PSU like the TP-550 or the EA 550 it wouldn't be an issue due to the way they work... but it isn't. Couldn't read the Antec site but the specs are still semi readable lol. And the VP550P looks like it is a basic Powersupply without Active PFC.

EDIT: The Transformer/Adapter thing would likely cost more than a new PSU so not likely but if you get one with Active PFC you won't need to worry what country you are in when running your computer from an outlet (as long as you can get the right plugs for it)

JJ1217

Honorable
First see if its the PSU, there are plenty of guides in which you just plug it into the wall and spark it to see if the fans rotate. It might actually be the PSU already dead, or maybe your 24 pin motherboard cable wasn't plugged in correctly (Happens to me all the time). I would double check all cables being plugged in first as well.

gunnyfreak

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
As I said, the PSU needs 200V to function properly but I can only give it 120V

Tried plugging it to the wall and the fans won't rotate (not sure what the whole sparking it is all about, my fans connect to the PSU directly)

tried bridging the power switch with a screwdriver, that didn't work, then tried it with a multimeter, still didn't work but there was definitely electricity going through. not enough maybe?

gunnyfreak

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
the back as in the side power cable goes in? No.... just the on/off switch for me....

also this guy says 200 - 240v here:
http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/VP550P_EN.pdf

so imma probably have to replace it. My question are these:

is there a cheaper way to do this? (like a transformer or an adapter?)

is what I described above the expected symptom? (does it sound like anything else went wrong, at least as far as you guys can tell)

caqde

Distinguished
Looking at the specs yup that would be a major issue. It needs 200V-240V to run. If this was a PSU like the TP-550 or the EA 550 it wouldn't be an issue due to the way they work... but it isn't. Couldn't read the Antec site but the specs are still semi readable lol. And the VP550P looks like it is a basic Powersupply without Active PFC.

EDIT: The Transformer/Adapter thing would likely cost more than a new PSU so not likely but if you get one with Active PFC you won't need to worry what country you are in when running your computer from an outlet (as long as you can get the right plugs for it)

Solution

gunnyfreak

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
yeah.... that is definitely a problem.

Again, my question is can this be fixed with a transformer or adapter or something?

EDIT: Thanks caqde :)

anything to share on the 2nd question?

gunnyfreak

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
right... thanks anyway....

I suppose it's not everyday that people try to boot a PSU from China in Canada....

Misc question here, not sure if I should start new thread: If something got damaged (shorted/fried/static electricity'ed), would I be able to tell, either at time of the damage or afterwards?

Thanks in advance and please just tell me if I should move to a new thread

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
It's not underfed.....the problem is before the voltage regulators that give stable 15V, 5V and 3,3V to the components. All those voltage regulators are fed from a transformer which steps down the voltage by a fixed ratio, from 200-240V to something lower (in your PSUs case). By giving just 120v (half), those regulators receive only half the voltage required and never fully turn on (Im' surprised the 5V standby works....or maybe the MB standby circuit works with 2.5V). If you would have it in reverse (120V PSU in 240V grid), I'm sure sparks would be involved.
From my experience, if a PSU is not 100-240V (so working straight in 120V and 240V), it should have a switch (like dillondeysel23 said). But market segmentation can dictate otherwise (have seem many illogical things in PCs).

PS: I think 120V-to-240V with power output for a PC are way too expesive compared to a locally-bought PSU. I'm sure they do exist, but they are a niche product.

gunnyfreak

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
the standby is the green LED that's basically the only thing working in the whole comp?

I see....

And basically there's nothing going through the PSU and what little that comes out should be thought as the exception rather than the rule?

No, definitely not. They will work on 12V, 5V, and 3.3V though, which is what the PSU should be outputting. Basically, the output of the PSU should be the same worldwide - it is only the input which varies depending on the country.