Sign in with
Your question

New Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2012 1:37:11 PM

BUDGET RANGE: £0-£210

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: nVidia 420 GT, 460W PSU (unknown brand) - for more info http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02...

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: HP factory made PC, Intel i7-2600k 3.4GHz, Cleveland Motherboard (Micro-ATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)), 8GB DDR3 RAM - for more info http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02...

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.dabs.com, www.ebuyer.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs to all new games of last year and this (if possible) on max graphics. I'd like to play Dragon Age III on max when it comes out. Basically a powerful gaming graphics card. As I believe I only have enough space for a graphics card that is 16.5cm long (maybe 17cm) and 3-6cm wide if the PCI-E slots do not interfere when slotting in the graphics card. Would like to have a card similar to or if possible GeForc GTX 560 Ti.

Can provide images. Many thanks for all the help :) 

More about : graphics card

April 7, 2012 1:49:15 PM

Thanks! I had a look but its 21cm long, which I believe may be a bit too long for me as it may touch the RAM or be blocked by the RAM. Unless you know for sure it will fit given the link containing the details of my computer as I am not quite sure. Thanks again
Related resources
April 7, 2012 2:15:47 PM

460Watt PSU "unknown brand" thats bad, you shouldnt get a 560ti whit that PSU :S
April 7, 2012 2:22:57 PM

LOL Dont worry I plan on changing the PSU to at least a branded 550W :D 
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 3:27:14 PM

I don't really think the card will hit the RAM at all, but maybe the PCB will hit the RAM Clips a bit, but shouldn't be an issue because the card is a bit 'raised' and the PCB should sit on top of the clips.
April 7, 2012 4:46:24 PM

refillable said:
I don't really think the card will hit the RAM at all, but maybe the PCB will hit the RAM Clips a bit, but shouldn't be an issue because the card is a bit 'raised' and the PCB should sit on top of the clips.

That made me think, and then I realised that one of the RAM slots, the one next to the graphics card, is empty so that would give me another 2-3cm so I'd be getting approx 18-20cm overall. Having said that, what about the heatsink on the right hand side of the graphics card, next to the PCIE slots?

proskillr said:
You are out of luck with only 17 mm of space all 560's are at least 20 mm. This is the shortest "modern" card on the market and its 16.4 mm but I dont think its a rather weak card.
http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphire-technology-ati-ra...

Thats a good find, but its not powerful enough. Im still contemplating though, and its by far better than the current graphics card I have, just not good enough to play some games on max or would last me the next 3-5 years. Thanks though, I have not disregarded it, I may get it if its the last option :) 
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 7, 2012 5:42:40 PM

I don't understand why you are asking about the heatsink of the GPU? Wasn't the heatsink suppose to face away from the RAM slot?
April 7, 2012 6:50:51 PM

The heatsink on the motherboard, wont that be an obstacle for the graphics card? As most good graphics card require the area of two slots, and that heatsink may be in the way of it?
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 8, 2012 3:47:09 AM

Oh yes, I doubt about the heatsink... But how tall is it?
April 9, 2012 12:51:05 PM

Actually I'm not entirely sure, I have to check it again, but last time I saw it, I believe its 1.5-2cm tall.
April 11, 2012 3:25:14 PM

AWESOME FIND!!!.....Is what I first thought, it seemed too good to be true, ebuyer stated the dimensions as -

Width 11.9 cm
Depth 11.1 cm
Height 1.9 cm

But when I checked PowerColor they stated -

228.6mmx111.2mmx19mm

http://powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?id=3...

Somehow eBuyer halved the width of the graphics card....

But thanks again for your hard efforts, I was really was excited to see a mid-ranged graphics at such a small size. But it was a typo made by eBuyer.

Thanks again :D 
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 11, 2012 4:02:03 PM

But since it is a single slot I don't think it will hit the heatsink.
April 11, 2012 4:11:05 PM

That is completely true, but I am not sure if I have the extra 5.2cm's to spare. I think at most, I might have 19cm if the RAM slot is empty, I may check again to confirm how much space I might get.
May 23, 2012 1:28:41 AM

Just to let everyone know; I've bought a KFA2 GTX 560 Ti which was 16.5cm long, however, I could have actually inserted any card sized upto 23cm long because there was more than enough space and the RAM slots were never an actual problem. Having said that, I cannot get a card too wide as the wires get messed up and may affect the temperature.

So in the end I bought a nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti made by KFA2 (£179.99) and a 600W Corsair PSU (£49.99) all from dabs.

Thanks for help guys, I really appreciated it :D 
!