Sign in with
Your question

Will I use all my CPU power with my current hardware?

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2012 10:43:22 AM

Hi everybody,

These are my desktop PC specs :

motherboard: gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
CPU: amd phenom II x4 925
power supply: SeaSonic SS650HT80+
hard drive: SAMSUNG HD322HJ ATA
also 4 GB of RAM

As my CPU got a little out of date I would preffer to replace it with AMD FX 8150. I'm not into hardware, but, as far as I know some parts just don't work well with others . Could anyone tell me if I will be able to use new CPU to the max (or at least to most of it's capabilitiy) with the rest of my current components? Will other components slow it down, and if so, how much would they affect the speed (I use it for 3D rendering). Any help would be much appreciated :) 
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 12:10:53 PM

Your CPU is pretty good and i don't really think you need a new one.And if you do think you need a faster one, then you're looking at a whole platform upgrade.
New CPU
New Motherboard
New RAM Kit. (Not absolutely neccesary but nice to have)

October 3, 2012 12:53:29 PM

Hi Kamen,
In 3d rendering, the new CPU is 3x faster than the old one as it uses all available cores. So considering that it takes many hours to make each render, it would be a significant upgrade. Both CPUs use the same socket AM3 so I thought they may work with the same motherboard as well. Is it possible to predict the speed loss I would face using the old motherboard? Would it be 10%, 20% or closer to 50%? If the computing power loss isn't very significant I will still consider this upgrade.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 1:30:09 PM

You would get a real improvement by getting a AMD FX 8150.

It will give you more speed (Frequency (MHz), plus Turbo Frequency (MHz), more Bus speed (MHz), more L2 cache (KB) and L3 cache (KB), and 4 extra cores, which is very important when it comes to 3D rendering.

However you must get a brand new motherboard. Tough the GA-MA770T-UD3P is an AM3 compatible, it supports up to 45nm tech, while the AMD FX 8150 is 32nm tech.

If you do not want to get a new motherboard, then an improvement to your actual system is to get a lot of memory ram -- your motherboard supports up to 16 GB of DDR3 1666 MHz system memory. Note that you may need a 64 bits operation system.

October 3, 2012 1:46:07 PM

Hi Jemm,
What motherboard would you recommend? I can't afford spending much money on it right now. But maybe there is one that gives good performance at moderate price?
Also, could you explain how getting more ram will speed up the rendering?
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 2:26:49 PM

3D rendering is very demanding on CPU and RAM -- if you do not have enough RAM, then the system goes to work with Virtual Memory, which is the amount the physical RAM plus a space reserved into your HDD, called paging file (Pagefile.sys).

Once the system get into the pagefile.sys it starts to slow down your rendering, because the physical RAM is a lot faster then the HDD.

In case you want to build a new sytem, then the best thing to do tough is to open a new thread tell us your budge, and what the system is for, i.e, 3D rendering. It is because apart from the motherboard you might also need new ram, psu, etc.
October 3, 2012 2:52:33 PM

Ok Jemm, I'll start a new thread then. Thanks a lot
a c 83 à CPUs
October 3, 2012 3:02:09 PM

kobestudio said:
Hi Kamen,
In 3d rendering, the new CPU is 3x faster than the old one as it uses all available cores. So considering that it takes many hours to make each render, it would be a significant upgrade. Both CPUs use the same socket AM3 so I thought they may work with the same motherboard as well. Is it possible to predict the speed loss I would face using the old motherboard? Would it be 10%, 20% or closer to 50%? If the computing power loss isn't very significant I will still consider this upgrade.

The FX processors are socket AM3+ not AM3, there is a difference which makes them incompatible with AM3 motherboards.

Also I don't know what software your using, but with 3ds max the FX 8150 isn't even twice the speed of a Phenom II X4 920, I'm not sure where your getting 3 times the speed from. It's still a significant upgrade, just not as large as you seem to think.
October 3, 2012 3:15:45 PM

Well, I just multiplied the number of cores by the cores frequency. So with my current CPU I get 2,80 x 4 (about 11) and with the other it is 3,6 x 8 which is roughly 28. Is it the wrong calculation?

BTW: I've chcecked the amount of RAM used in the stress moment (rendering) and with my 4GB I'm using only 65% so I guess buying more RAM just won't make any difference.
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 4:42:21 PM

kobestudio said:
Well, I just multiplied the number of cores by the cores frequency. So with my current CPU I get 2,80 x 4 (about 11) and with the other it is 3,6 x 8 which is roughly 28. Is it the wrong calculation?

BTW: I've chcecked the amount of RAM used in the stress moment (rendering) and with my 4GB I'm using only 65% so I guess buying more RAM just won't make any difference.

That is an absolutely wrong way to think about it. You are comparing 2 different architectures by looking at clock speed. There is no way to know how much faster one will be than the other without looking at a benchmark.
October 3, 2012 5:06:15 PM

Ok, I tried to find some benchmarks. But instead of showing the render time they assign points. From that points I still can't tell how the render time will change. Do you know any benchmark that compares render times ( I found blender benchmark, but there are totally different render times with the same CPUS, so I guess you just can't rely on it). I use mainly vray, but also test many different engines.
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:27:08 PM

kobestudio said:
Ok, I tried to find some benchmarks. But instead of showing the render time they assign points. From that points I still can't tell how the render time will change. Do you know any benchmark that compares render times ( I found blender benchmark, but there are totally different render times with the same CPUS, so I guess you just can't rely on it). I use mainly vray, but also test many different engines.

Here is the closest I could find http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=81
October 3, 2012 5:57:36 PM

Yeah, as you've said wanderer11 - it isn't even twice as fast. These computers don't get much better :)  I bought the one I'm using 4 years ago, and even then it was the average one. Thanks for the info guys!
!