Sign in with
Your question

9500 GT and Power Supply

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2012 2:54:53 PM

I have an older eMachines desktop that I am trying to breathe some life into. It's a Celeron D (might take it to a Pentium D), 2GB DDR2 RAM, capable of running Windows 7, so it's by no means cutting edge, but not a complete waste either. Anyway, it comes stock with ATI integrated graphics, so of course the cheapo manufacturer only threw a 165 watt PSU in there, even though it does have a PCI-e slot and brags about upgradability. I have several hand me down PCI-e graphics cards that I can throw in there: A 7300LE, a 6600GT and a 9500GT. I would like to shoot for the moon and put the 9500GT in there. Its requirements are 350 watts and 18A on the 12 volt rail. Now, given the nature of the machine, I do not want to spend much more than $40 on the PSU.

I found this guy:

DiabloTek PHD350 350-Watt Power Supply
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Which claims to meet the requirements and has a good price, though the reviews are mixed on NewEgg and Tiger, and it is an off brand, which I know is not a good idea.

But I having trouble finding a PSU in my price range that will deliver the 18A on the 12V rail. I know that the card does not use 18A, just like it does not use the entire 350 watts. What confuses me are the PSUs that have TWO 12v rails. How do you match them up against the minimum requirements?
For example, would this supply work?

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's a little more than i wanted to spend, but it's a brand that I trust and gets consistently good reviews.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

More about : 9500 power supply

April 7, 2012 7:50:02 PM

+1 for ricardios
Related resources
April 7, 2012 8:24:23 PM

You can opt psu from Seasonic as well as Cool Master too.
a b Î Nvidia
a b ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 8:53:28 PM

Don't go with coolermaster. They make crap PSUs.
!