Can i safely use this power cord to power my device?

jinei

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
this might not be the right place to pose this question but i imagine that some knowledgeable person reading this can give me the right answer.

i have a benq pb6240 projector. i have lost the power cable for it. the bottom of the unit says that the AC rating is: 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 4,0A . i also have this cable that fits into the back of it perfectly [the cable is probably from an old computer monitor or something], and the cable reads: 10A 125A.

so can i power on my projector using this cable without having to be afraid of frying the machine?

thanks in advance.

Solution

Hi :)

Yes or drop the fuse rating to 5 amps as I said... any electrical device should have a fused plug....

All the best Brett :)

jinei

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
the manual states that the projector came with only a cable and no power block.

but could you care to explain how one might be able to make an assessment of safety based solely on the fact that the cable i have says 125V 10A ? [ie, im not sure what these figures mean relative to the information on the bottom of the projector ...]

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Thats what the plug was designed for (125VAC plug socket) and the 10A bit is how much current the fuse and wire can take.

The projector can run on either 240V or 120V at 50 or 60 Hz mains supplys.

If you are in the USA then the plug socket will run at 115-125VAC at 60Hz.

IT MIGHT BE BAD IF YOU GET AN OVERLOAD....

So what you do is change the fuse in the lead for a 5 amp fuse...

jinei

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

so if the projector only needs 4.0A, it will only draw 4.0A, and the fact the cable can supply up to 10A current will not create any problems?

NO.....

It doesnt work that way...

IF you get a problem the projector could try and draw TOO MUCH power (amperage) from that 10 AMP cable....

So put in a 5 amp fuse and if the problem happens , the FUSE BLOWS and NOT the projectors internal circuitry,,,thats what fuses are for...

ANY sort of electrical fault in the projector could blow the fuse....and its basic to ANY electrical device, that you do NOT have a fuse thats rated higher than the device needs.. or you get a fire...