Cingular in New Jersey is it 850??

Last response: in Network Providers
August 7, 2005 12:31:19 PM

I have cingular with 2 Moto V180s which work okay...but as I also own 2
V60g from a prior closed T mobile contract, I tried to use my Cing SIM
in the V60s... without success...the phones are supposedly
unlocked...and when I try to operate the V60s they fire up show the
number and cingular on the screen, reasonbable signal strength but they
will neither call out nor receive..someone suggested the possibility of
Cing using 850 here in central New Jersey???.

More about : cingular jersey 850

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:20:47 PM

also not sure what GSM means?
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:16:39 AM

In <18051-42F626CF-1150@storefull-3331.bay.webtv.net> on Sun, 7 Aug 2005
11:20:47 -0400, ELLIOTx@webtv.net (elliot) wrote:

>also not sure what GSM means?

"Google is your friend."
http://www.google.com/search?q=gsm

August 8, 2005 9:41:10 PM

In <sjwilson.1tgfkz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:40:42
-0500, sjwilson <sjwilson.1tgfkz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>cingular's primary freq is 850, so it is possible

In some areas, not in all areas.

August 9, 2005 2:55:49 AM

elliot wrote:
> I have cingular with 2 Moto V180s which work okay...but as I also own 2
> V60g from a prior closed T mobile contract, I tried to use my Cing SIM
> in the V60s... without success...the phones are supposedly
> unlocked...and when I try to operate the V60s they fire up show the
> number and cingular on the screen, reasonbable signal strength but they
> will neither call out nor receive..someone suggested the possibility of
> Cing using 850 here in central New Jersey???.

It depends on where you are... In Central/South Jersey, Cingular has 850
from its original orange network, and 1900 from AT&T. In Nrothern NJ
and NY, it's straight 1900 MHZ, AT&T only. Cingular did not have Orange
licenses in the New York metro area; prior to the merger, Cingualr users
roamed on T-Mobile.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 9, 2005 3:40:32 PM

I live inFreehold area central NJ...
we intend on using the V60s oveseas when traveling with Temp SIM
cards...

As I had both V60s unlocked overseas in a cellular phone shop (Berlin)
the possibility exists the phones have been glitched during the process
and are to some degree inop...
Due to the high cost of Cell phone repair it seems reasonable to
purchase new phones overseas rather than proceed here in the US with
repairs...

However if in fact in my area I am only able to use 850 with cingular, I
,may not need repair as the phones may be working elsewhere...

I assume the only person who could inform me if the phones are working
would be a cell technician with equipt to test...Correct???
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 8:52:01 PM

In <11043-42F8CE70-1205@storefull-3335.bay.webtv.net> on Tue, 9 Aug 2005
11:40:32 -0400, ELLIOTx@webtv.net (elliot) wrote:

>I live inFreehold area central NJ...
>we intend on using the V60s oveseas when traveling with Temp SIM
>cards...
>
>As I had both V60s unlocked overseas in a cellular phone shop (Berlin)
>the possibility exists the phones have been glitched during the process
>and are to some degree inop...
>Due to the high cost of Cell phone repair it seems reasonable to
>purchase new phones overseas rather than proceed here in the US with
>repairs...
>
>However if in fact in my area I am only able to use 850 with cingular, I
>,may not need repair as the phones may be working elsewhere...
>
>I assume the only person who could inform me if the phones are working
>would be a cell technician with equipt to test...Correct???

Just try them on another carrier (e.g., at a dealer) -- if they work here,
then they will almost certainly work overseas.