Need Advice on WHS 11 Build Parts

Otto-s_Hardware

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Not sure what area I should ask but here goes.

I'm needing to build a server (have WHS11) to stream videos or content to PCs & PS3s in house as well as allow access to those not in house (or when I'm away from home). I'm looking to make it simple but secure.

I'm needing a current (June 12') parts list on what I should buy. technical advice about hiccups or additional items (software or hardware) that I'll need to overcome is completely welcome too.

My preference is for a economical efficient server. One that won't kill the budget or run loud & energy hungry. I have a PC that can be salvaged for parts or mix in new stuff with a budget of say $400. I can spend any amount less than $400, but I don't think I really need to be spending over $500 for all new parts.

Around 08' I built a PC with these parts that can be used:

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
It also has a Video Card (probably ATI DDR3 512mb)
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1850 MC-Kit FM radio and MCE remote PCI-E x1
Upgrade to G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
1x 500GB WD Green (5400rpm?) with Vista Ultimate :(
2x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
1x Western Digital Elements 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive
Antec 400 (?) case with I believe a 450w power supply
ZEROtherm CF900 92mm CPU Cooler
Antec 761345-75024-0 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

I should have also CORSAIR XMS3 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) laying around somewhere that could be used.

The internal HDs are pretty full with mostly dvd & home movies and music. I figure to use them with with additional HDs to make the server. I also would be curious as to what form of server type I should make (raid0, 5, or whatever).

Looking for a parts list and any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

How many concurrent connections? It seems to me you could just run with what you have first and see how it goes. Granted it's not terribly cool or efficient. But re-using old parts is way more efficient than buying new isn't it?

The board you have supports a max of 8GB, that's as high as it goes. That's a ton for WHS. If this was SBS that would of course be different.

I could see a network card maybe.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106015

Otto-s_Hardware

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

The number of users that could be accessing the desired server would be 3 in house and possibly 5 outside of house. Realistly, I only see 3 people accessing it at once at any given time. The PC that I built has never been connected to the internet and would have to have virtually all updates. Used it mostly for video editing and watching. (what a waste huh)

It would need a network card (have a wireless adapter still in box). Would I really need network card fore server purposes as expensive as the one you recommended? Just seems kinda high.

I was kinda thinking of stealing some parts like, case, the 1TB HDs, ram, and then buying more server specific hardware like processor, motherboard, and the rest. I'm thinking of mixing and matching. Taking the useful parts of the PC and make a server, and then buy the rest to complete the server and later finishing out a PC with newer stuff. I'd rather have a seperate PC and server.

Well, I was suggesting installing WHS on that machine.

Your network speeds are going to be the most limiting factor, not CPU. A single drive can dish out content faster than the network can transfer it. By adding connections between the router and server I think you will do the most good. Again, this is something you can change later. You have a single RJ45 connection on the board, start with that.

You don't need big processing power to do this. Any upgrade would really be a sidestep to something more efficient. Home and small business NAS solutions use processors that are tiny and slow in comparison.

I'm certain that at some point raid starts to make sense... as does the extra port. what those exact points are I have no idea.

Otto-s_Hardware

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

I see; I agree with that. From what I've read my current cpu is not really what is used in server. So I figured I would look towards making it more efficient with one more commonly used in a home server. Then I'd have to get a motherboard that would be better suited for a new cpu. I just don't want to overkill on the server with tons of power with cpu and ram when I can use that in a PC.

I'm good going sideways on the cpu to get more efficient energy and cooling. I plan to leave this on all the time or most of the time and don't need it burning up.

I'm not great at this network stuff, so by adding more connections (network card with multiple ports) I will increase the data flow out of the server to the router. Where my limitations on my router would be worth looking into then. If so, what type of router should I look at?

I do see Raid as a high option that I'm interersted in utilizing. Adding more HDs is a necessary growth of making the server and I don't really want to mess around changing configurations after it's built. I'll have to get a couple more anyways if I want to backup any files on my laptop and other PCs. Isn't Raid5 the best for complete redundancy? I think with the amount of content that I have (~5.5TB all together), that's what I'll need as I don't want to have to replace any of that stuff.

Server means many things. Supplying an e-commerce database is far different than streaming videos. Have a look at the processors in even high end NAS boxes.

You could probably under clock your CPU and under volt and get good results.

If you must, a Sandy Bridge t series CPU would give you optimal energy and heat savings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116394

This would be an OK choice for the board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157302

Then we would need to look more closely at the RAM to verify it will work.