Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade 2500k to 3930k or wait?

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:23:44 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: ~ A month if upgrade is worth it

Budget Range: Flexible budget

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Gaming, surfing the internet, overclocking, folding@home, experimenting with editing)

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, Motherboard)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, amazon.com)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution:2560x1440

Additional Comments: Would like to stick to a black and white theme if possible. I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to x79 now or if Haswell will be a big improvement over it.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Motherboard feels outdated, lacks features for Crossfire.

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this in.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 3, 2012 6:38:05 PM

lol, whyd you get a 2500k then? you want to replace the MB and CPU just for 2 more cores? oi. It is not even a generational upgrade. Had you wanted a 6 core system you should have got it to begin with.
October 3, 2012 6:43:34 PM

My initial build was an entry into the PC world, that's why I got a 2500k and initially had a 6950. I was looking to add a second GPU in the future, that's why I was looking to upgrade the motherboard and was wondering if it was worth switching platforms as well.

Thanks for the reply.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 3, 2012 6:46:04 PM

i would say no but you seem to like to spend money like a drunken sailor on shore leave

edit: have you considered overclocking? my 2500k would beat out anything you would be buying new (because I overclock.)
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
October 3, 2012 6:50:09 PM

That board is Crossfire capable, you know.

The second slot only runs @ x4, I know, but I'm just saying.

In any case, for CPU purposes, there's no reason at all for you to upgrade to a 3930K. If you were a hardcore video editor and you made your living from it, then maybe. Otherwise, no.
October 3, 2012 6:58:34 PM

Yes I have considered overclocking, I'm just not sure if I have the correct motherboard to do so.

I'm trying to make an educated decision, that's why I asked for suggestions.
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
October 3, 2012 6:59:47 PM

Exile1993 said:
Yes I have considered overclocking, I'm just not sure if I have the correct motherboard to do so.

You can go to 4.5 easily with that board. Look at my sig...
October 3, 2012 7:26:13 PM

that cpu is still a beast, get a z77 motherboard if you want crossfire
October 3, 2012 7:33:22 PM

Ok, thank you I noticed the sig after I posted and will try it out. Sorry for asking a stupid question. Thanks for the suggestions however.
October 3, 2012 8:00:25 PM

Exile1993 said:
Ok, thank you I noticed the sig after I posted and will try it out. Sorry for asking a stupid question. Thanks for the suggestions however.

They have that MOBO cheap on Newegg.com as open box http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Seems like a pretty good deal to me, but I have never ordered anything open box before.
October 3, 2012 8:01:38 PM

haha looks like you already have that MOBO. My bad I am a dummy, don't mind me.
!