Sign in with
Your question

Installing my radeon hd 6450 graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2012 8:26:04 PM

Ok well i bought 2 upgrades for my hp pavillion slimline s3400f
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... graphics card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... power supply

Well i have onboard graphics (nvidia 6150se) and i have to use dvi to connect the new card. The vga cord works good but that's connected 2the old graphics card. But when i put in my dvi it doesnt work like i get ablank screen. But one time it turned on when i had my dvi in but then it turned black in 20 seconds.
please help
April 7, 2012 10:08:08 PM

Why do you have to have the VGA on your old onboard graphics card, I don't know why the dvi connection wouldn't work on the 6450, are you sure you installed the 6450 correctly?, you heard it click when it went into the slot?, if you are having the vga from the onboard graphics card plugged into your monitor AND having dvi from the new graphics card plugged into your monitor at the same time then that would be the problem, i just dont fully understand what your saying, but the power supply should be fine, when you turn your computer on do you hear it start, as in the fans and what-not?
m
l
April 7, 2012 10:10:32 PM

I hear fans start any like everything start (i hear a big diference from the fans compared to when i didnt have the power supply and graphics card in)
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2012 10:43:12 PM

matter37 said:
Why do you have to have the VGA on your old onboard graphics card, I don't know why the dvi connection wouldn't work on the 6450, are you sure you installed the 6450 correctly?, you heard it click when it went into the slot?, if you are having the vga from the onboard graphics card plugged into your monitor AND having dvi from the new graphics card plugged into your monitor at the same time then that would be the problem, i just dont fully understand what your saying, but the power supply should be fine, when you turn your computer on do you hear it start, as in the fans and what-not?

I hear fans start any like everything start (i hear a big diference from the fans compared to when i didnt have the power supply and graphics card in)
m
l
April 9, 2012 3:59:09 AM

Ok so what is the deal with needing the vga connected to your onboard graphics card? if you have the 6450 installed you shouldnt need that connected
m
l
April 9, 2012 1:26:23 PM

Just curious, but did you disable the onboard video through the bios? If your bios is set to auto detect, it will pick the onboard video to output to. I have had a few machines where it wouldn't even let the video card display anything. Might help to check there. Good luck.
m
l
!