Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Good craigslist deal on new build?

Last response: in Systems
June 6, 2012 1:06:28 AM

Kingston V+100 128gb Solid State Drive! One of the fastest Hard Drive on the market.

AMD FX 6100 CPU 3.3Ghz 6 Core Processor

Asus M5A97 AM3+ Motherboard

Zalman CNPS 9900 Blue Led Cpu Cooler, Extremely Quiet and Effective!

8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600mhz Memory

XFX 5670 1GB Gaming Video Card with Zalman VF900 Blue Led Cooler, Cool and Quiet!

Cooler Master 550w Extreme Power Supply

ThermalTake V3 Black Edition Case

Asus CD DVD-RW/+RW Combo Drive

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS

3 month old, everything runs 100%, very cool and quiet pc. Windows 7 Ultimate Activated CD. Selling for $595 or reasonable offer, NO TRADES or tattoos, serious buyers please. Wireless Keyboard & Mouse combo, no mointor.

for 525$?
June 6, 2012 2:04:07 AM

You're buying or selling? It looks too cheap for me...
m
l
June 6, 2012 2:27:26 AM

buying i just copied and pasted the add, has a newer model cpu and leave crossfire capabilities. I'm thinking its a good deal. what do you think?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 6, 2012 12:58:47 PM

Not a system I'd build. I'd definitely look VERY CLOSELY at this system before any money changes hands. Put it through some paces. Make sure you're getting everything as advertised.

If everything were new, this system would cost $970 to build and s/he's offering it for $595.

What I don't like about this build:

1) The over-priced SSD inflates the cost by $110.
2) Windows Ultimate inflates the cost by another $90.
3) Unless over-clocking, the CPU Cooler is mostly useless.
4) While the motherboard does offer Crossfire support, the second PCI-Ex16 slot is ONLY x4
5) Graphics Card is only so-so. Fine if you're not looking for serious gaming.

Given these issues I have, that's $255 the seller over-spent. Take that from the original $970, and you're looking more at a $715 build.

Since the seller took off about 30% of the total build cost, I'd offer no more than $500 (30% off $715). It's the seller's fault s/he over-spent, not yours.

-Wolf sends
June 6, 2012 2:07:17 PM

Agree with Wolf

SSD is overpriced and slow (fastest hard drive i suppose but not solid state drive)
Board is good but x4 isn't fantastic for CFX.
GPU is anaemic
PSU is terrible
Can't say i like the case and you only get 1 fan
Windows 7 Ultimate seems like a strange combination with the low end parts.

Otherwise pretty good.
m
l
June 6, 2012 2:36:48 PM

If you are happy with it as it is, then I think it is a good deal, assuming it works properly.

If it is for gaming, then the 5670 is not a very strong card.
For gaming, the FX-6100 can't compete with Intel.
The psu is not a great brand, and might limit the graphics upgrade potential.
So, if you think you will upgrade, it is not a good base.

On the other hand, for general work, I love the SSD.

In general, complete pc's do not sell for as much as the parts do individually.
The seller is offering to bargain. If you like it as is, then offer a very low price to start with.
m
l
June 6, 2012 4:14:18 PM

With BOM of almost $1000, selling it well below cost makes me thing - is there a police report filed somewhere for a PC missing with these same specs?
m
l
June 8, 2012 2:06:49 AM

Best answer selected by Gadget33.
m
l
June 8, 2012 2:09:05 AM

Thank you every one for reasonable responses. should i stress the systeme? and if so how?
m
l
June 8, 2012 2:17:35 AM

Gadget33 said:
Thank you every one for reasonable responses. should i stress the systeme? and if so how?

If it works properly, it is OK.

I might try to run a windows update to verify that the copy of windows 7 is legit.

Stressing could be done with prime 95, but that is primarily to test the limits of an oc.
I suppose you could run memtest86+ or furmark.
m
l
June 8, 2012 2:25:55 AM

geofelt said:
If it works properly, it is OK.

I might try to run a windows update to verify that the copy of windows 7 is legit.

Stressing could be done with prime 95, but that is primarily to test the limits of an oc.
I suppose you could run memtest86+ or furmark.

Thank you I will make sure to thouroughly check the hardware as well as the software before handing over the money on sunday
m
l
!